tw.tter

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: tw.tter

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:42 am

Martin Y wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:19 pm
NPR and BBC object to Twitter deciding to label them "government funded media".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65226481

Article says Twitter originally labelled NPR "state-affiliated media" which put them in the same category as propaganda outlets like RT. When NPR objected they changed it to government funded. NPR say they're ceasing tweeting on the account while that stands.
I think that Twitter has a point. I don't see how the license fee isn't a form of taxation. Its based upon legislation and there are criminal penalties for not having a license (as opposed to it being a breach of contract). People have spent years criticizing the BBC for being under the influence of the party in power.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:06 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:42 am
Martin Y wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:19 pm
NPR and BBC object to Twitter deciding to label them "government funded media".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65226481

Article says Twitter originally labelled NPR "state-affiliated media" which put them in the same category as propaganda outlets like RT. When NPR objected they changed it to government funded. NPR say they're ceasing tweeting on the account while that stands.
I think that Twitter has a point. I don't see how the license fee isn't a form of taxation. Its based upon legislation and there are criminal penalties for not having a license (as opposed to it being a breach of contract). People have spent years criticizing the BBC for being under the influence of the party in power.
It doesn't have a point about NPR, which gets about 1% of its funding from the Federal government, out of general taxation. The rest comes from donations, sponsorship, and paid programming.

The whole thing here is about Musk reacting to journalists who cover him critically. Don't try to make it into something that it isn't.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:39 am

dyqik wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:06 am
The whole thing here is about Musk reacting to journalists who cover him critically. Don't try to make it into something that it isn't.
That's how it looks to me.

Even in the case of the BBC, it's not that "government funded" isn't arguably strictly true, it's what "government funded" implies about lack of independence that's the troll.

The beeb isn't funded at the whim of the Ministry of Truth, it's chartered a decade at a time; at least two governments. And that's deliberately to stop some Minister picking up the phone and telling them what the 6 o'clock news is going to be.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:44 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:39 am
dyqik wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:06 am
That's how it looks to me.

Even in the case of the BBC, it's not that "government funded" isn't arguably strictly true, it's what "government funded" implies about lack of independence that's the troll.

The beeb isn't funded at the whim of the Ministry of Truth, it's chartered a decade at a time; at least two governments. And that's deliberately to stop some Minister picking up the phone and telling them what the 6 o'clock news is going to be.
People were, though, arguing in the Lineker thread that the BBC fired a presenter because he upset one or more ministers.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:07 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:44 pm
People were, though, arguing in the Lineker thread that the BBC fired a presenter because he upset one or more ministers.
Yes, the Tories have been in power for so long they've had plenty of time to manoeuvre friendly people into the top of the BBC.
That is a real independence problem but it's not the same problem as funding, which is the thing Musk is trolling them with.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:21 pm

Apparently this is the source for Twitter's list of 'publicly funded media': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... oadcasters

https://twitter.com/BobbyAllyn/status/1 ... 60640?s=20

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:32 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:21 pm
Apparently this is the source for Twitter's list of 'publicly funded media': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... oadcasters

I see it lists Channel 4 as "publicly funded" when it isn't. It is State owned but it generates its own income.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:06 pm

JQH wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:32 pm
Woodchopper wrote:

I see it lists Channel 4 as "publicly funded" when it isn't. It is State owned but it generates its own income.
Yes, and I'm sure there are other mistakes. Replying upon Wikipedia for corporate policy does make it look like a multinational business is being run by the members of a subreddit. But I suppose that's what Musk gets for firing most of the people who worked there.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:48 pm

Not very popular in Ukraine right now, it seems. The stupid part is he was at one point, before he nobbled Starlink and pushed a whole bunch of Kremlin talking points.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:12 pm

JQH wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:32 pm
Woodchopper wrote:

Fox probably gets a bit of support for the emergency broadcast system, so it'd be a shame if someone added them to that list...

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:28 pm

Pretending people (ie faking celeb endorsements etc) are buying a product when they aren't isn't actually legal in the states. Musk's doing it anyway.

He is so utterly obsessed with the blue checkmark it's both sad and hilarious. He just does not understand that replacing "this sign means someone is in some way notable enough in some field that you want to make sure it's really them" with "this person paid nearly a hundred dollars a year to a liar, conman and above all else one of the most cringeworthy people in existence" will cause people to stop wanting them.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:00 am

Just quoting this from ISF.
I Am The Scum;14058435 wrote:So, got a weird one here. Let's start with a little background to help others understand:

Twitter supports the ability of a single user to use multiple accounts. This is common for someone who sometimes tweets in their personal capacity, and other times representing their brand (such as a podcast or Youtube channel). Rather than forcing a user to log out and back in back and forth, you can link the accounts together, and then will allow you to easily switch between them. When you have one of these alternate accounts, Twitter puts a little icon in the corner showing the other accounts profile picture, which you can tap to switch. This will be important in a minute.

Which brings us to today's story:

Elon posted a screen grab from his Twitter app showing that using the site's premium subscription service, he is earning $120,000 a month. As insane as that sounds all on its own, that is not why I'm writing this post. In the corner of that screen grab, the profile picture of an alternate account was shown. The existence of this alt account was, to this point, unknown. So people did some digging and they found the account.

Ladies and gentlemen, believe me when I tell you that this is way weirder than you would have thought.

Elon Musk has been roleplaying as his own 2-year-old son. These tweets have included child-Musk fantasizing about going to night clubs, asking others if they like Japanese girls, complaining about a low follower count, and even responding to Elon Musk's own posts.

More reading
A little more
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... st14058435
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed May 24, 2023 11:04 pm

I see Ron DeSantis' campaign launch on twitter got off to a good start.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Thu May 25, 2023 8:25 am

monkey wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:04 pm
Care to elaborate for those of us not on tw.tter?
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu May 25, 2023 8:38 am

TopBadger wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:25 am
monkey wrote:
I think this

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... st14080018
I Am The Scum wrote:Some audio from the event. It was a disaster. Apparently they had 3 guys in the same physical room using microphones for this and nobody realized that one person's vocals would be picked up on another mic. They could have hired a teenager with a crummy podcast as a consultant to explain this stuff to them.

and this

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... st14079803
angrysoba wrote:Those Commie libtards at the Grainiad are covering it with their usual Marxist sneering….
This odd launch to DeSantis’s campaign has partly become an advertisement for Twitter.

Musk and Sacks played off the glitches on Twitter as DeSantis “breaking the internet”. It’s unclear why Twitter didn’t anticipate 500,000 listeners for a presidential announcement.
See! They broke the internet. The whole internet - created by the government so no wonder it it breaking. Not Twitter! Twitter is definitely not now understaffed and/or badly run.

This is so winning that the internet itself is sick of the winning.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu May 25, 2023 9:53 am

Also, apparently the numbers dropped off precipitously.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Thu May 25, 2023 7:39 pm

TopBadger wrote:
monkey wrote:
Enjoyable report here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... re-satire/

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu May 25, 2023 10:29 pm

bolo wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:39 pm
TopBadger wrote:
monkey wrote:
Enjoyable report here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... re-satire/
I think this sums it up.
Not since the Titanic — but the Titanic at least had a successful launch. Ditto, the Hindenburg. They had other problems.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:11 am

It seems that Twitter's non-payment of creditors is starting to have an effect.

eviction order against Twitter offices in Colorado

Can a trail of eviction orders for non-payment and other findings for non-payment lead to a ruling that the company is bankrupt and should be placed into administration?

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:27 am

dyqik wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:11 am
It seems that Twitter's non-payment of creditors is starting to have an effect.

eviction order against Twitter offices in Colorado

Can a trail of eviction orders for non-payment and other findings for non-payment lead to a ruling that the company is bankrupt and should be placed into administration?
Creditors can petition for Chapter 7 (approx equivalent of UK bankruptcy) or Chapter 11 (approx equivalent of UK "in administration". I'm struggling to find out exactly what conditions need to be fulfilled for them to do so though, at least what beyond there being a debt that has not been paid. And then even if someone petitions, I'm not sure what conditions would need to be fulfilled for Chapter 7 or 11 (or one of the other chapters but 7 and 11 seem most common) to be imposed.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:26 am

In England, where Twitter was sued in January by the Crown Estate for rent arrears, if a company owes you £750 or more you can serve a statutory demand, and if neither payment nor mutual agreement has happened after 21 days, you can Apply for a winding up order. Once this is granted, the company will be dissolved to pay creditors, including you, unless it comes to some other arrangement (usually by paying its debts). I can't find any report on what happened to the English action, so I'd guess Twitter shuffled its money around to pay the arrears.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:02 pm

Some years ago I deleted my account out of frustration, but continued to lurk as there are many useful sources of info on the site, especially for things like OSINT.

Yesterday, it became impossible for me to view timelines without an account. I made a new one. Today, nothing will load, it's just not functioning at all.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:31 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:02 pm
Some years ago I deleted my account out of frustration, but continued to lurk as there are many useful sources of info on the site, especially for things like OSINT.

Yesterday, it became impossible for me to view timelines without an account. I made a new one. Today, nothing will load, it's just not functioning at all.
Yes, as you can easily find out on Twitter via the #TwitterDown hashtag. Oh wait...

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:00 pm

Twitter is DDOSing itself.

Firstly, they've applied rate limits, so that unverified accounts can only see 600 tweets a day. And they've blocked unlogged in access.

Secondly, when you hit that limit, the web page enters an infinite loop of data requests for the tweets you aren't allowed to view.

https://sfba.social/@sysop408/110639435788921057
Last edited by dyqik on Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:01 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:00 pm
Twitter is DDOSing itself.

Firstly, they've applied rate limits, so that unverified accounts can only see 600 tweets a day.

Secondly, when you hit that limit, the web page enters an infinite loop of data requests for the tweets you aren't allowed to view.
Christ on a f.cking bike :roll: