Russell Brand

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
User avatar
El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3181
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:41 pm
Location: FBPE

Re: Russell Brand

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:11 pm

I mean, rape, sexual assault and coercive control are all crimes
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

User avatar
EACLucifer
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: In Sumerian Haze

Re: Russell Brand

Post by EACLucifer » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:33 pm

Opti wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:15 pm
The list of names coming out in support of the man are entirely unsurprising.
c.nts one and all.
Never a truer word spoken.

User avatar
Tessa K
Light of Blast
Posts: 4483
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Tessa K » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:50 pm

Catherine Ryan spoke to Louis Theroux about being assaulted by an unnamed comedian. Everyone in the biz knows who she meant.

There's a clip in Despatches of Bob Geldof calling him a c.nt. His reaction is interesting.

User avatar
Grumble
Light of Blast
Posts: 4432
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Grumble » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:11 pm

Funniest reaction on Facebook:
It’s never the ones you expect, is it?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

monkey
After Pie
Posts: 1753
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Russell Brand

Post by monkey » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:37 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:50 pm
Catherine Ryan spoke to Louis Theroux about being assaulted by an unnamed comedian. Everyone in the biz knows who she meant.
I thought she said that she wasn't assaulted herself, but trusted people told her about Him.

Also, I think it's important to also note that the reason that she didn't name anyone (publicly) was because of fear of legal action and/or being blacklisted.

User avatar
Brightonian
Dorkwood
Posts: 1347
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Location: Usually UK, often France and Ireland

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Brightonian » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:34 pm

From Cold War Steve:
20230918_203000.jpg
20230918_203000.jpg (471.09 KiB) Viewed 428 times

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 6712
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:50 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:18 pm
The only surprising thing about this news is that it's news.

"Russell Brand is serial sexual predator" is something I thought would have come out during the height of the MeToo revelations; to the extent that I thought it probably had and I'd just missed it under the tsunami of revelations of other thoroughly despicable actors/directors/producers/etc.
Your post in The Onion: https://www.theonion.com/nation-could-h ... 1850849838

User avatar
shpalman
Princess POW
Posts: 8020
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond
Contact:

Re: Russell Brand

Post by shpalman » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:39 pm

News Thump 8 years ago...
“I also think he’s got problems with women, and that’s me saying that.”
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

User avatar
Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2748
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:58 pm
Location: Lincolnshire Wolds

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Boustrophedon » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:07 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:55 pm
Throughout his career, Brand’s material has acknowledged his sex addiction and he has often publicly joked about his predatory behaviour and sex life.

There were rumours of more sinister behaviour — said to be discussed as an “open secret” by senior TV and radio executives, and among female comedians who warned each other of his behaviour — but the women involved previously felt unable to speak out...

His womanising ways — he once said he could sleep with 80 women in a month — saw him crowned “Shagger of the Year” by The Sun three times.
I can't imagine why women would feel unable to speak out about a guy who had been lauded in the tabloids for his sexual exploits.
But, if the 80 per month is true, then a lot of women find the middle aged catweasel, predatory sex pirate actually attractive. I, as a hetrosexual cis male, find this inexplicable, just as I find the so called attractiveness of the female Kardassians, inexplicable.
But the fact remains that some people find the superficially attractive, obvious sex symbol, to be actually attractive and I don't understand that.
This place is not a place of honor,
No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here,
Nothing valued is here,
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

User avatar
Martin_B
Dorkwood
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:20 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Martin_B » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:46 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:50 pm
Martin_B wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:18 pm
The only surprising thing about this news is that it's news.

"Russell Brand is serial sexual predator" is something I thought would have come out during the height of the MeToo revelations; to the extent that I thought it probably had and I'd just missed it under the tsunami of revelations of other thoroughly despicable actors/directors/producers/etc.
Your post in The Onion: https://www.theonion.com/nation-could-h ... 1850849838
Nice to know it wasn't just me, then. Although, reading his Wikipedia page (I know) there were allegations from Dannii Minogue from 2006.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

User avatar
Grumble
Light of Blast
Posts: 4432
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Grumble » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:16 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:07 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:55 pm
Throughout his career, Brand’s material has acknowledged his sex addiction and he has often publicly joked about his predatory behaviour and sex life.

There were rumours of more sinister behaviour — said to be discussed as an “open secret” by senior TV and radio executives, and among female comedians who warned each other of his behaviour — but the women involved previously felt unable to speak out...

His womanising ways — he once said he could sleep with 80 women in a month — saw him crowned “Shagger of the Year” by The Sun three times.
I can't imagine why women would feel unable to speak out about a guy who had been lauded in the tabloids for his sexual exploits.
But, if the 80 per month is true, then a lot of women find the middle aged catweasel, predatory sex pirate actually attractive. I, as a hetrosexual cis male, find this inexplicable, just as I find the so called attractiveness of the female Kardassians, inexplicable.
But the fact remains that some people find the superficially attractive, obvious sex symbol, to be actually attractive and I don't understand that.
Many people find confidence attractive, and quite a few think the word salad that comes out of his mouth is a sign of intelligence.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

User avatar
Tessa K
Light of Blast
Posts: 4483
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Tessa K » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:39 am

Grumble wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:16 am
Boustrophedon wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:07 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:55 pm


I can't imagine why women would feel unable to speak out about a guy who had been lauded in the tabloids for his sexual exploits.
But, if the 80 per month is true, then a lot of women find the middle aged catweasel, predatory sex pirate actually attractive. I, as a hetrosexual cis male, find this inexplicable, just as I find the so called attractiveness of the female Kardassians, inexplicable.
But the fact remains that some people find the superficially attractive, obvious sex symbol, to be actually attractive and I don't understand that.
Many people find confidence attractive, and quite a few think the word salad that comes out of his mouth is a sign of intelligence.
Fame always attracts groupies and boys/men who want to align themselves with 'heroes'.

Youtube has now blocked him from making money from his vids. Which will of course stoke the fire of his persecution conspiracy theory.

User avatar
Fishnut
After Pie
Posts: 2287
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Fishnut » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:46 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:07 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:55 pm
Throughout his career, Brand’s material has acknowledged his sex addiction and he has often publicly joked about his predatory behaviour and sex life.

There were rumours of more sinister behaviour — said to be discussed as an “open secret” by senior TV and radio executives, and among female comedians who warned each other of his behaviour — but the women involved previously felt unable to speak out...

His womanising ways — he once said he could sleep with 80 women in a month — saw him crowned “Shagger of the Year” by The Sun three times.
I can't imagine why women would feel unable to speak out about a guy who had been lauded in the tabloids for his sexual exploits.
But, if the 80 per month is true, then a lot of women find the middle aged catweasel, predatory sex pirate actually attractive. I, as a hetrosexual cis male, find this inexplicable, just as I find the so called attractiveness of the female Kardassians, inexplicable.
But the fact remains that some people find the superficially attractive, obvious sex symbol, to be actually attractive and I don't understand that.
He was awarded 'Shagger of the Year' in 2006, 2007 and 2008, when he was between 31 and 33 years old.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

User avatar
Tessa K
Light of Blast
Posts: 4483
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Tessa K » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:41 am

Not so much a catweasel, more an aye-aye.
Attachments
20230919_103930.jpg
20230919_103930.jpg (663.3 KiB) Viewed 258 times

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
After Pie
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Stranger Mouse » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:04 am

Really good episode of the Newsagents podcast on this subject including a couple of fascinating interviews

Allison Pearson doesn’t come out well

https://pca.st/episode/afbacd92-7652-41 ... 94e9c169c6
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

purplehaze
Fuzzable
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Russell Brand

Post by purplehaze » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:10 am

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:35 pm
I must admit I didn't watch the Dispatches documentary. Daughter did and asked me if I wanted to watch it too but I couldn't really bear to. Brand almost immediately struck me as a revolting person and the thought of watching people describe how his horrible behaviour crossed into criminality just depressed me.

The strange thing is that watching susequent chat about him in various places I find myself noticing so much of it is about what a c.nt he is and so little is about what actual crimes might have been committed. I keep momentarily pondering replying along the lines of "Yes, that's vile behaviour but it's not actually breaking any laws". A moment later I collect my wits and don't.
I wasn't going to watch it, preferred to watch Ireland v Fuji, glad I did but watched it on plus 1. Brand has never been on my radar because a. I never found him funny and b. he was a creepy dirtbag, like Savile - imagine my surprise when he had that phone call with Savile, I was shocked even more. Dispatches were right to name it IN PLAIN SIGHT. When Sachsgate happened it just confirmed to me how revolting he was, Georgina Baillie suffered the most as a consequence.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... es-channel

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ll-support

purplehaze
Fuzzable
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Russell Brand

Post by purplehaze » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:26 am

To add. It's almost as if Brand manipulated the mainstream media to hound Georgina Baillie to make it out she was the bad person. Strange, not strange, that he disappeared when meetoo happened. He knew what was coming.

What a total arse sh.t he is. I'm glad 'karma' has kicked him right royally in the arse!

User avatar
Fishnut
After Pie
Posts: 2287
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Fishnut » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:39 am

purplehaze wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:10 am
When Sachsgate happened it just confirmed to me how revolting he was, Georgina Baillie suffered the most as a consequence.
I saw someone on twitter point out that Brand and Ross were made to apologise to Sachs, not to Baillie, even though it was her private sexual history that they had broadcast. All the media coverage I remember at the time was about how appalling it was to treat Sachs that way, nothing about how they treated Baillie.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

User avatar
El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3181
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:41 pm
Location: FBPE

Re: Russell Brand

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:43 am

Marina Hyde makes the same point - she describes her own reaction at the time and is ashamed of it, it seems so incongruous now in hindsight.

Even Sachs himself refused to speak to his own granddaughter for eight years, as if Baillie brought this upon him by being so wayward. She described in a Mirror interview how she did go off the rails and ended up in rehab, but that was made worse by Brand doing a stand-up show picking apart the incident and destroying her image even more.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

purplehaze
Fuzzable
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Russell Brand

Post by purplehaze » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:48 am

I totally understand not giving this creep dirtbag of a man any headspace. It has to be done though, how painful and awful that is.

Solidarity to all the women who came forward to speak - some say 'only four', however it was many more women who chose to not speak and solidarity to you as well.
Last edited by purplehaze on Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3181
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:41 pm
Location: FBPE

Re: Russell Brand

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:50 am

Some morons, such as Alan Sugar, are using the fact that four women came forward rather than just one as reason to think it's all a conspiracy. Obviously if only one came forward, those same morons would be claiming that it's just an isolated case and it doesn't matter.

Hopefully, now that a few have gone public, others will be emboldened to raise their voices too.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

User avatar
Tessa K
Light of Blast
Posts: 4483
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Tessa K » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:05 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:50 am
Some morons, such as Alan Sugar, are using the fact that four women came forward rather than just one as reason to think it's all a conspiracy. Obviously if only one came forward, those same morons would be claiming that it's just an isolated case and it doesn't matter.

Hopefully, now that a few have gone public, others will be emboldened to raise their voices too.
In cases like this, the ones who speak out are often just the tip of the iceberg

User avatar
jimbob
Light of Blast
Posts: 5063
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Russell Brand

Post by jimbob » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:47 am

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:05 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:50 am
Some morons, such as Alan Sugar, are using the fact that four women came forward rather than just one as reason to think it's all a conspiracy. Obviously if only one came forward, those same morons would be claiming that it's just an isolated case and it doesn't matter.

Hopefully, now that a few have gone public, others will be emboldened to raise their voices too.
In cases like this, the ones who speak out are often just the tip of the iceberg
Indeed, as anyone who's not wilfully being a moron like Alan Sugar would understand
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
Opti
Dorkwood
Posts: 1440
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm
Location: On the beach

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Opti » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:48 am

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:05 am

In cases like this, the ones who speak out are often just the tip of the iceberg
Indeed, I listened to 'The News Agents' podcast last night. Rosamund Urwin and Louisa Compton who were part of the team investigating Brand said as much. The investigators said they interviewed several more women with similar tales but they concentrated of these particular 4 cases as they were watertight. Which is as it should be. They are very confident that they will be not challenged legally by Brand.
A huge amount of work went into this investigation.
Time for a big fat one.

User avatar
Grumble
Light of Blast
Posts: 4432
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Grumble » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:10 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:39 am
purplehaze wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:10 am
When Sachsgate happened it just confirmed to me how revolting he was, Georgina Baillie suffered the most as a consequence.
I saw someone on twitter point out that Brand and Ross were made to apologise to Sachs, not to Baillie, even though it was her private sexual history that they had broadcast. All the media coverage I remember at the time was about how appalling it was to treat Sachs that way, nothing about how they treated Baillie.
This is a very good point and I’m ashamed that it didn’t occur to me.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Post Reply