What impact has the Secret Barrister had?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
bmforre
Snowbonk

What impact has the Secret Barrister had?

Post by bmforre » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:38 am

I've been reading "The Secret Barrister" with tales worthy of treatment by Charles Dickens and Victor Hugo. Now I sincerely wonder what impact this book and similar writing makes on the politics contributing to such cruel dysfunctionalities?

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Re: What impact has the Secret Barrister had?

Post by snoozeofreason » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:03 pm

You'd probably get a better informed answer from Disco or Greyspoke but, as far as I am aware, absolutely none of the dysfunction addressed in the SB's book has been addressed. The only significant intervention in the criminal justice system this government has expressed any interest in seems to be the proposal to increase the proportion of a sentence served in custody for those convicted of terrorist related offences, which will probably just make things worse.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:50 pm

snoozeofreason wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:03 pm
... as far as I am aware, absolutely none of the dysfunction addressed in the SB's book has been addressed...
I feared as much.

I've also been reading "Why We Get the Wrong Politicians" by Isabel Hardman that has lots of material on inner workings of political apparatus showing how good proposals are often unwanted and must be stopped to protect a self-affirming "don't rock our chairs" leadership.

secret squirrel
Snowbonk

Post by secret squirrel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:57 am

Unless some well placed individual in government takes it upon themselves to do something it either needs to be an election issue or there needs to be an effective protest movement with strikes etc. Otherwise it's easy to ignore.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:32 am

I don't see why anyone would expect this government to implement any changes. In fact I think people who don't work within the legal sector are better placed to comment on the impact because the book can probably be better seen as a public educational tool, and if you aren't the 'public' in this context you are going to get a skewed view of things.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:40 pm

Also, I haven't actually read the book yet (bit of a busman's holiday type thing). My dad read it on holiday and appears to be persuaded by it, which means that the book has achieved what I have failed to do over the best part of ten years (well, I'm sure it covers a lot of ground that I know nothing about, what with me not being a criminal barrister who has done a ton of research for a book, but more the general principle I suppose). And now he's bought me a copy so I'm going to have to read it now.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:43 am

A rather worrying press release from the Law Society adds to the general impression that little is being done to address the problems that the SB warns us about.
Law Society president Simon Davis said: “We have warned time and again that the very existence of criminal defence practitioners is under threat. Unless the package is adjusted to address the depth and urgency of this crisis, then extinction may be firmly on the horizon.

“There are increasingly large areas of the country where there are no defence solicitors available. The very notion of British justice is in jeopardy – with victims left in limbo and the accused potentially deprived of a fair trial.

“Not only will the shortage of practitioners lead to injustice; it is economically unsound. Defence lawyers help ensure the justice system runs efficiently – and in doing so, save the taxpayer money.”

The closure of Carter Moore this month – the latest in a growing number of significant firms to shut its doors – is further evidence that the profession cannot wait. Our heatmap shows how the numbers of criminal duty solicitors are diminishing.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?