Getting Brexit done

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
TopBadger
Catbabel

Re: Getting Brexit done

Post by TopBadger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:00 pm

Deleted - double post
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:36 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:56 pm
The Tories should have a slogan for this... something to do with work and being set free... which for some reason seems familiar...
Except the other way round of course. Something like "Freiheit macht Arbeit" but, you know, not in forrin.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:42 pm

People won't be forced to travel for hundreds of miles to work on temporary contracts. They might be asked to do local agricultural work though.

Farmers have had immigration work-arounds for ages. For example in my village Lithuanians and Ukrainians used to come over for the strawberry picking back in the 90s. Doesn't need freedom of movement laws.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:10 pm

plodder wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:42 pm
… Farmers have had immigration work-arounds for ages. For example in my village Lithuanians and Ukrainians used to come over for the strawberry picking back in the 90s. Doesn't need freedom of movement laws.
The difference in future might be that we won't just be going back to the time before foreign labourers had to be let in by law, we'll be striding forward into a bright new dawn of actively preventing them from coming.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:21 pm

plodder wrote:
People won't be forced to travel for hundreds of miles to work on temporary contracts. They might be asked to do local agricultural work though.
The "economically inactive" will be required to show up at their dole office by 7 a.m. Buses will arrive and take them off to the farms. If not enough buses, cattle trucks. They will then re-educate themselves in the value of peasant labour. At lunch time there will be an educational talk from a Conservative Party Member, followed by patriotic songs. Wages will be paid 6 weeks later, the new computer system won't be able to process it faster. If people don't show up at 7 a.m., officials in uniform will visit the "economically inactive" at home to discuss why they are not believers in Brexit Britain.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:04 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:21 pm
plodder wrote:
The "economically inactive" will be required to show up at their dole office by 7 a.m. Buses will arrive and take them off to the farms. If not enough buses, cattle trucks. They will then re-educate themselves in the value of peasant labour. At lunch time there will be an educational talk from a Conservative Party Member, followed by patriotic songs. Wages will be paid 6 weeks later, the new computer system won't be able to process it faster. If people don't show up at 7 a.m., officials in uniform will visit the "economically inactive" at home to discuss why they are not believers in Brexit Britain. this is the Brexit they voted for.
FTFY
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:05 pm

lol but no.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:09 pm

This is circulating on Twitter. Assuming it's true:

1. It's a bit redundant to say you need 70 points. The first three items are mandatory, so they could have made those a million points each and said you need 3000020 points in total. #nerd
2. If you want to hire a physics PhD to lecture in physics, you can pay them as little as £20480. (I suspect you may not get the cream of the world's physicists for that money.) But if you want to hire a classics PhD to lecture in classics, you have to pay them £23040. Is Boris (the reciter of poorly-remembered Ancient Greek poems) sending a coded message to Dominic (the science fanboy) here?
3. Lower-qualified personal care assistants and Wetherspoon staff are probably about to get a substantial pay rise.

Something something hammer something something nail

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:11 pm

I'm guessing that the 4th line with the minimum salary should say YES in the required column. Otherwise it seems to be irrelevant (0 points).

And to summarise, the required points total of 20 means scoring any of those not-required-20s or both of the 10s.

It's not really points-based, is it?

(Again, assuming that the table is true.)

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 pm

I hope no-one is planning to see any foreign orchestras touring the U.K. IN 2021: https://www.nme.com/news/non-uk-musicia ... 21-2612337

The cost of a visa and certificate of sponsorship for each musician will cost around £400 per person. An 80 piece orchestra will have to shell out in the region of £32k on immigration documents before they even set foot on U.K. soil. Not to mention the immense administrative costs.

And for what?!? WHY?? What actual immigration-related issues will this solve?!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:53 pm

headshot wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 pm
I hope no-one is planning to see any foreign orchestras touring the U.K. IN 2021: https://www.nme.com/news/non-uk-musicia ... 21-2612337

The cost of a visa and certificate of sponsorship for each musician will cost around £400 per person. An 80 piece orchestra will have to shell out in the region of £32k on immigration documents before they even set foot on U.K. soil. Not to mention the immense administrative costs.

I guess you could see this as encouraging British musicians, rather than having foreign orchestras coming over here and playing their (probably foreign) music at us.
I wonder when they'll announce the massive increase in funding for music education. Any day soon, I'm sure.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:03 am

headshot wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 pm

Global Britain.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:35 am

Good point, succinctly made, Blackcountryboy.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:52 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:09 pm
3. Lower-qualified personal care assistants [snip] are probably about to get a substantial pay rise.
That's one possible outcome, another is that lots more care homes /companies are going to fold.

Still, Mark Steel has an ingenious and flawless solution: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/pr ... 47566.html
Mark Steel wrote:The elderly in care homes can become economically active by working in care homes, mopping up each other’s mess, saving money for the care home sector, by forgetting which one’s the carer and which one’s the resident, so they don’t have to be paid.
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:55 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:52 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:09 pm
3. Lower-qualified personal care assistants [snip] are probably about to get a substantial pay rise.
That's one possible outcome, another is that lots more care homes /companies are going to fold.

Still, Mark Steel has an ingenious and flawless solution: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/pr ... 47566.html
Mark Steel wrote:The elderly in care homes can become economically active by working in care homes, mopping up each other’s mess, saving money for the care home sector, by forgetting which one’s the carer and which one’s the resident, so they don’t have to be paid.
Regardless of your political beliefs you have to admire the sheer work ethic of Patel.

You would have thought with all his natural talents and all the privileges of his background that nobody stood any chance as proving themselves as f.cking useless and incompetent as Chris Grayling and yet there she is day in and day out striving with her every fibre to prove those nay-sayers wrong.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:05 am

negotiations on trade deal haven's started yet and the two sides now seem further apart than they were just a few weeks ago. How much is bluster to create pressure on the other side vs what are genuine red lines is hard to tell - but at the moment it's not looking at all promising.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 am

The EU's position will be formally published today, so that will help.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:02 pm

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:31 pm

Loads of people moaned we won't have any radioactive isotopes for cancer treatments. They didn't believe in Brexit enough. We are going to 3D print all the radioactive isotopes we need.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:34 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:31 pm
Loads of people moaned we won't have any radioactive isotopes for cancer treatments. They didn't believe in Brexit enough. We are going to 3D print all the radioactive isotopes we need.
Just get them out of the replicator in Cummings' ship.

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Who is going to work all these 3D printers?
In this school, in common with a majority, I believe, D&T is now very, very biased to the design side
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:19 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:16 pm
In this school, in common with a majority, I believe, D&T is now very, very biased to the design side
Generally that's what 3d printers need. Plus a bit of fiddling to get them to work, and then 48 hours to make a small weak plastic doodad that needs a huge amount of sanding and finishing to turn it into anything useful.

Oh, and PLA or ABS fibre.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:29 pm

lpm wrote:
Can we use the same printer to print food or will we have to purchase (print?) a second one?

It's starting to get expensive.

PS I believe it is traditional at this point to post a picture of Andrew Neil with a young woman.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Little waster wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:29 pm
lpm wrote:
Can we use the same printer to print food or will we have to purchase (print?) a second one?

It's starting to get expensive.

PS I believe it is traditional at this point to post a picture of Andrew Neil with a young woman.
He's still waiting for the young woman to finish printing.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:39 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:19 pm
Gentleman Jim wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:16 pm
Generally that's what 3d printers need. Plus a bit of fiddling to get them to work, and then 48 hours to make a small weak plastic doodad that needs a huge amount of sanding and finishing to turn it into anything useful.

Oh, and PLA or ABS fibre.
That PLA and ABS stuff is presumably imported though.

Oh wait! We can just 3D print that! And we can just 3D print the printers too – simply program one to print itself out if we don't have one to hand.