COVID-19 Official Resources - Help Needed

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

COVID-19 Official Resources - Help Needed

Post by Fishnut » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:05 pm

For my (clearly numerous and terrible) sins I'm an admin on my local COVID-19 support group on Facebook. I am trying to keep us as sensible as possible - turning off comments for most posts, only allowing admins to post stuff (I got the support of the other admins with that after we got emailed by a biomed student informing us that a post had been submitted that was dangerous bollocks), and ensuring that all information is verified before being posted.

Our town has an elderly demographic and it seems that people have got the message about self-isolating but not the one that you can still get medical help if you need it - I'm actually a bit worried about people getting really sick because they don't know that they can still call 999. I would like to find some proper information on when you should ask for medical help. The NHS website is vague to the point of uselessness when dealing with cantankerous older folk so does anyone know of any guidance on when people should call the doctor and anything about how to access medical care for other health issues while suffering from coronavirus?

tia :)
Last edited by Stephanie on Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Weighty Matters
it's okay to say "I don't know"

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Re: COVID-19 Official Resources - Help Needed

Post by discovolante » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:43 pm

I can't help I'm afraid but I've also joined a mutual aid group. Not an admin and so far only go as far as the organiser sending an email to me and the other people in my 'cluster' asking us to introduce ourselves.

I haven't had a close look and so far it mostly seems to be the organiser sending people contact details forms but this thread might be helpful in general for discussing best practice in these sorts of groups, if other people join too. As opposed to the corona-woo thread.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:51 pm

I'm doing some GDPR reading tomorrow following the advice from a friend of mine who's a lawyer and worked for a company doing their GDPR compliance but once I've done that I should be able to give some, admittedly unofficial, advice on how to secure the lists of volunteers.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:00 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:51 pm
I'm doing some GDPR reading tomorrow following the advice from a friend of mine who's a lawyer and worked for a company doing their GDPR compliance but once I've done that I should be able to give some, admittedly unofficial, advice on how to secure the lists of volunteers.
I'm becoming increasingly certain that you are in fact superhuman.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:09 pm

discovolante wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:00 pm
Fishnut wrote:
That's very kind but totally untrue, I'm just great at productive procrastination!

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:10 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:09 pm
discovolante wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:00 pm
Fishnut wrote:
That's very kind but totally untrue, I'm just great at productive procrastination!
Same thing :P

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:42 pm

I've started a COVID-19 mutual aid group in my town.

Some of the information on WHO might be useful https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detai ... onaviruses
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

TheScientificHippy
Gray Pubic

Post by TheScientificHippy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:04 am

There is a definite lack of information on how to manage non Covid19 illness injury whilst self isolating.

For example if someone in your household is unwell can you go to the pharmacy. Or, if you think you've broken your wrist and have a continuous cough how do you present at a walk in centre.

People are still having heart attacks and strokes and need to know what to do.

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:18 am

Fishnut,

Am I right in thinking you are around the Bath/Bristol area roughly?

If so, my sister is very involved in the Bath group and also sits in on Zoom meetings for the Bristol group. She's an experienced community organiser and has been tearing her hair out over how some people aren't considering data protection. I can probably put you in touch if it would help and then you might be able to see how other groups are tackling it and discuss best practise and have some regional links.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:58 am

mediocrity511 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:18 am
Fishnut,

Am I right in thinking you are around the Bath/Bristol area roughly?

If so, my sister is very involved in the Bath group and also sits in on Zoom meetings for the Bristol group. She's an experienced community organiser and has been tearing her hair out over how some people aren't considering data protection. I can probably put you in touch if it would help and then you might be able to see how other groups are tackling it and discuss best practise and have some regional links.
I am, and that would be wonderful. Thank you!

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:03 am

Fishnut, are you in the admin group? There's an FB group for admins of local groups, where people are discussing GDPR, DBS, templates for forms, etc.

Nero
Clardic Fug

Post by Nero » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:16 am

Some useful stuff here :

https://covidmutualaid.org/

Matatouille
Fuzzable

Post by Matatouille » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:22 am

Don't think it will be uniformly the same accross the country, but for non-respiritory complaints, the A&E here has been much quieter than usual for the past couple of days. This is second hand info mind. Respiratory cases get streamed to a separate bit of A&E, but people who would have otherwise presented are staying away, the irony being that they'd probably be seen more easily now than in normal times.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:53 am

Stephanie wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:03 am
Fishnut, are you in the admin group? There's an FB group for admins of local groups, where people are discussing GDPR, DBS, templates for forms, etc.
I'm an admin for our local group but I didn't know about the group for admins. Do you know what it's called as it sounds like a really useful resource.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:06 am

Fishnut wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:53 am
Stephanie wrote:
I'm an admin for our local group but I didn't know about the group for admins. Do you know what it's called as it sounds like a really useful resource.
Yeah, on the mutual aid website, they say once you've started your group, an admin should join the admins FB group. I joined yesterday and there's loads of stuff in there. Hopefully this is the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/151925132663139/

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:29 am

Stephanie wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:06 am
Fishnut wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:53 am
Stephanie wrote:
Yeah, on the mutual aid website, they say once you've started your group, an admin should join the admins FB group. I joined yesterday and there's loads of stuff in there. Hopefully this is the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/151925132663139/
thanks so much!

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:32 am

No worries, there should hopefully be some stuff in there to keep you sorted and if not, you can ask questions