COVID-19

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
gosling
Stargoon

Re: COVID-19

Post by gosling » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:46 am

badger wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:18 am
Government advice is no "non-essential" travel. Though again, this is what BoJo has said but it's not explicit in the latest communication
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... le-adults

We had a cottage booking for Easter. The company told us we could rebook within the year or book another cottage to the same value. I think that's pretty kind of them (financially speaking) in the circumstances. I think our travel insurance might cover us cancelling anyway but need to check with them first once they actually answer the phone. Anyway, it's worth checking on the policy wording of any travel insurance you may have.
We were due to go over to Lundy with my 73-year-old mum towards the end of next week. Landmark Trust have credited our account with the money for the cottage, and refunded the cost of transport to the island. We can use the credit towards another property up until the end of 2021. Impressed with that given that the govt still isn't explicitly saying don't travel.

Have advanced tickets on GWR to get to Devon, but they're still saying no refunds on advance tickets. They do say we can change the date without incurring an admin fee. Not sure what date they think people can book for given the current situation. Just hope that the reduced timetable coming in next week means our train gets cancelled and we can get a full refund.

P.S. If anyone has had a BA flight cancelled but is only being offered a voucher on the website: a friend at work has shown me how to bypass the javascript on the site so you go to the refund page instead. PM me if you'd like details.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:46 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:50 am
shpalman wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:36 pm
AND NO YOU CAN'T GO ON FRIDAY AND COME BACK ON MONDAY TO TECHNICALLY AVOID THE WEEKEND ITSELF
Did that literally have to issue a separate explicit order for that? I'd love to see it if you have a link (in Italian is fine).
Here's Ordinance 514 of the Lombardy Region, 21 March 2020

The actual orders start towards the end of page 4. The relevant part is
È consentito il rientro presso il proprio domicilio o residenza. Non è consentito lo spostamento verso abitazioni diverse da quella principale, comprese le seconde case utilizzate per vacanza.
The part about Fridays and Mondays might have been in a national decree; hang on (I haven't read it, I only heard about it on the news).
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:52 am

Yes it's in this decree from the ministry of health:
nei giorni festivi e prefestivi, nonché in quegli altri che immediatamente precedono o seguono tali giorni, è vietato ogni spostamento verso abitazioni diverse da quella principale, comprese le seconde case utilizzate per vacanza.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 am

NICE guidelines for the UK for triage into critical care. Not based on age, but on a 9 point "frailty scale".

1-4: will get into ICU.

5-9: it depends

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... -patients/
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:07 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:52 am
Yes it's in this decree from the ministry of health:
nei giorni festivi e prefestivi, nonché in quegli altri che immediatamente precedono o seguono tali giorni, è vietato ogni spostamento verso abitazioni diverse da quella principale, comprese le seconde case utilizzate per vacanza.
Meanwhile of course thousands of people f.cked off to their static caravans YOU'RE NOT ESCAPING THE VIRUS YOU ARE THE VIRUS
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:12 pm

Reportedly from the Sunday Times

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:35 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:38 pm
dyqik wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:21 pm
AMS wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:31 pm

WTF? The way the US organises healthcare is insane.
The US doesn't organize healthcare.
Yet manages to spend a higher proportion of its GDP even on *public* healthcare than the UK (just)
It's interesting that when offered a presidential candidate campaigning to change how healthcare works (going into the easiest election in history), USians instead opt for the guy funded by insurers who promised to veto any proposals for radical change.

Enough of them are obviously basically happy with the status quo. Or were - I suspect that this outbreak will make the case extremely convincingly for public healthcare, just a few months too late for anything to happen.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:43 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:12 pm

I'm sure he is entirely to be taken at his word regarding this denial.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... people-die
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:46 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:43 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:12 pm

I'm sure he is entirely to be taken at his word regarding this denial.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... people-die
The wise words of Jim Hacker come to mind.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:51 pm

The PM and advisors seem to be really struggling to explain that it's ok to be outside as long as you're not near anyone.

I dunno if they are trying to avoid people in busy cities getting the hump because countryside folk can swan around as normal or if they just can't work out how to explain it properly.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Lombardy has had to close the parks since people here couldn't get the idea here either. The restrictions in force here until the 15th of April are now really restrictive, but we were certainly warned this would happen and people took the piss anyway.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:02 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:54 pm
Lombardy has had to close the parks since people here couldn't get the idea here either. The restrictions in force here until the 15th of April are now really restrictive, but we were certainly warned this would happen and people took the piss anyway.
I mean, they were saying...if you're over 70, if you observe social distancing, that's ok, and then you will be indoors for the other 23 1/2 hours of the day....sorry what? Outside but two meters away for no more than half an hour a day?

It seems like they can't get their heads away from the scenes in e.g. Victoria Park and are addressing the whole country about an issue that is only affecting some areas, and it's making a muddle of it all in the process.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Fortunately, here in Spain, the general public are taking the lockdown pretty damn seriously.

There seems to be a fair bit of 'English Exceptionalism' going on back in the UK.
This ain't like the blitz guys.
Time for a big fat one.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:48 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:42 am
Too late now, but they should have thought about words.

Self isolation conjures up images of... well, isolation. People resist it. Should be "family protection", or for the more macho inclined "chain breakers".

Herd immunity was such a terrible thing to say. We live on in infamy, in every history text book.
The weakness of their language has reached absurd levels,

This oh-so-clever nudge unit seems incapable of using basic nudge techniques. A starting point is speaking in a way that easily gets across to people.

- use concrete words, not abstract
- be practical, not conceptual
- use familiar words, not fancy words
- keep it human, not mathematical

For example, they say "if you have symptoms of coronavirus illness (COVID-19)..." - symptoms is not a word used by most people, the jargon is unnecessary. Johnson says people must be "responsible" - an abstract concept that gives no practical meaning. The term "observe social distancing" is a new invention, something that none of heard of in our lifetimes, and it takes time to understand. "Do not travel unnecessarily" isn't presented in human terms and unnecessary has no concrete meaning.

Other countries are doing nudge concepts better, saying concrete human things like "Only leave your home to buy food and essentials" or "you can walk your dog outside, but only for half an hour once a day" or "the rule you must obey is to stay two metres apart - that's two arms lengths."

This weekend has obviously been a fiasco for nudging us all into the proper behaviour. Maybe a bit unlucky - two lovely sunny spring days so everyone wanted to go to parks and beaches. But fundamentally a lot of people don't yet "get it".
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:59 pm

Judgment is required. Some people, given a rule, do their best to push the limits of interpretation. Also, it is rotten luck that all this has coincided with some good weather.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:08 pm

I'm sure it's actually a "we're about to get locked down so let's go out one last time" response.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:18 pm

I think hes just going to shut the parks, but he daren't even say that. Happy to be wrong.

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:27 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:08 pm
I'm sure it's actually a "we're about to get locked down so let's go out one last time" response.
It might look like that from Italy shpallers, more like "lets go out for the first time we've had decent weather at the weekend in bl..dy ages". I am fairly sure Snowdon, Pen-y-Fan etc. would have been just as crowded this weekend without the virus.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:38 pm

greyspoke wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:27 pm
shpalman wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:08 pm
It might look like that from Italy shpallers, more like "lets go out for the first time we've had decent weather at the weekend in bl..dy ages". I am fairly sure Snowdon, Pen-y-Fan etc. would have been just as crowded this weekend without the virus.
Places like Snowdon are probably also many people's idea of somewhere you can be outdoors and safely far away from others. Unfortunately, too many people had the same idea...

But pick a random public footpath through a farmer's field, and you have a reasonable chance of having the place to yourself.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:20 pm

lpm wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 am
NICE guidelines for the UK for triage into critical care. Not based on age, but on a 9 point "frailty scale".

1-4: will get into ICU.

5-9: it depends

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... -patients/
That 1-9 scale seems very focused on classifying elderly people (as suggested by the graphics).

Not sure how young people with disabilities would fit into that system. The key difference being - while a young person with disabilities might "need help with all outside activities and keeping house" they might be able to progress to being "not dependent on others for daily help" - i.e. progressive decline is not inevitable.

mikeh
Fuzzable

Post by mikeh » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Few quick things -

Coming out tomorrow, currently embargoed as I type this, an interesting paper from UCL - covers estimations of excess 1- year mortality from COVID-19 (in England). From a quick glance through it, appears to reinforce the Imperial College modelling data.

Also tomorrow, major genomics initiative to be announced tomorrow (in the UK). It looks pretty cool.

An 18 year old has died in the UK from COVID-19, they had underlying health conditions. Definitely youngest death in the UK, how many younger globally?

And if you're terribly bored, I did a podcast with the Triggernometry podcast people - see here for the video https://youtu.be/0Hs2KKczjYA?t=44

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:33 pm

AMS wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:38 pm

But pick a random public footpath through a farmer's field, and you have a reasonable chance of having the place to yourself.
Thats what we did today and seemed to work.

The number of kids I've seen still playing together in the street struck me though. The point of schools closing is to stop kids intermingling, seems the parents havent grasped this point.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:39 pm

The very excellent Dean Burnett tweeted these today...
dean Burnett 3.jpg
dean Burnett 3.jpg (427.6 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:46 pm

And below a link explaining the clusterf.ck that is the court system, with a welcome update in the comments. But the changes that have been happening have been very piecemeal - e.g. in Scotland the housing and property tribunal has postponed everything until May, but the Sheriff courts are continuing with hearings that don't require witnesses (so all lawyers to continue to attend), for now. Jury trials are going ahead in E&W unless they last longer than three days. A shambles, really.

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/2020/03/law-i ... duty-work/

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:48 pm

lpm wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:48 pm
The weakness of their language has reached absurd levels, This oh-so-clever nudge unit seems incapable of using basic nudge techniques. A starting point is speaking in a way that easily gets across to people.

- use concrete words, not abstract
- be practical, not conceptual
- use familiar words, not fancy words
- keep it human, not mathematical
This. So much this. These people can't communicate clearly to save anybody's life. As I said somewhere, the average read age in the UK is something like 11. Have you seen the advice on gov.uk? It's wordy, long and badly organised. For goodness sake, if you want people to listen, make your guidance simple and use simple, everyday language.

You know, like that slogan, what was it again? Oh yes. Take back control.If Cummings can reduce Brexit to three words, surely he can come up with appropriate, simply worded guidance for this.[/sarcasm] I can well believe Cummings jumped all over the idea of herd immunity as soon as he heard it. He seems just like a guy who knows a lot of science-y sounding buzz words and the precise meaning of none of them.
That's all very well under normal circumstances, but when you're inundated with a lot of critical patients at once, patients struggling to breathe and unaccompanied by family because you're trying to limit everyone's exposure, how do you find out what someone's usual activity levels are or how often they need help?