shpalman
Princess POW

Re: COVID-19

Post by shpalman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 am

greyspoke wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:27 pm
shpalman wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:08 pm
I'm sure it's actually a "we're about to get locked down so let's go out one last time" response.
It might look like that from Italy shpallers, more like "lets go out for the first time we've had decent weather at the weekend in bl..dy ages". I am fairly sure Snowdon, Pen-y-Fan etc. would have been just as crowded this weekend without the virus.
all the major tourist destinations
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:52 am

We've got a snow storm for the evening before the shelter in place order comes into effect here.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:54 am

JQH wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:59 pm
South Africa is locking down for three weeks from Thursday. Spotted a FB thread on it which included stupid comments about foreigners exporting their diseases. Just in case you thought racist morons are a peculiarly white phenomena.
South Africa, of course, doesn't have white racists ;)

I know you didn't mean it like that, but it did stand out...

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 am
greyspoke wrote:
shpalman wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:08 pm
I'm sure it's actually a "we're about to get locked down so let's go out one last time" response.
It might look like that from Italy shpallers, more like "lets go out for the first time we've had decent weather at the weekend in bl..dy ages". I am fairly sure Snowdon, Pen-y-Fan etc. would have been just as crowded this weekend without the virus.
To be fair, they don't have mountains in Lincolnshire.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:43 am

Brightonian wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:40 pm
purplehaze wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 am
lpm wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:04 am
Jesus, the videos of London tube trains this morning... Crushed together like a usual rush hour. This in one of the most over-heated cities on the planet.
City and Waterloo line suspended and many stops closed. They are obviously not going into London because they work in non essential employment because most of that avenue of employment has closed.

And this is what I find galling. Essential workers crammed together to deliver what is essential to keep the country running. I'd be scared witless.
Be interesting to see if there are similar videos tomorrow.
Tube this morning: https://twitter.com/nsmith694/status/12 ... 46470?s=19

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:44 am

shpalman wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:51 pm
Little waster wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:54 pm
shpalman wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:50 pm
And of course this also means that the UK's situation will get exponentially worse during the next two weeks until the measures being implemented now start to have an effect.
So best case scenario currently is that UK deaths will peak at 5000 a day. :|
Wait a minute Italy's worst day was 800 deaths, and the total so far is 6077.
I’m blaming a bad BBC graphic presumably showing accumulative deaths by day 30 rather than daily :oops:
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 am

greyspoke wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 am
shpalman wrote:
greyspoke wrote:

They have a steep hill, which is called, "Steep Hill"
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:09 am

Brightonian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:43 am
Brightonian wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:40 pm
purplehaze wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 am

City and Waterloo line suspended and many stops closed. They are obviously not going into London because they work in non essential employment because most of that avenue of employment has closed.

And this is what I find galling. Essential workers crammed together to deliver what is essential to keep the country running. I'd be scared witless.
Be interesting to see if there are similar videos tomorrow.
Tube this morning: https://twitter.com/nsmith694/status/12 ... 46470?s=19
Something similar was happening in Milan, since the service had been scaled back to match the drop in passenger numbers.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:15 am

Depending on what Trump does, it could go off in very different directions in the US. He's now chafing to relax restrictions to save the economy at the expense of lives. It's all "taking tough decisions" now from him now. Will the US healthcare system cope?

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:22 am

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:26 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:15 am
Depending on what Trump does, it could go off in very different directions in the US. He's now chafing to relax restrictions to save the economy at the expense of lives. It's all "taking tough decisions" now from him now. Will the US healthcare system cope?
It’s fine, the over-70s would rather die than slow down the economy says 69 year old.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:42 am

Little waster wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:05 am
Little waster wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:47 pm

Basic points are the school are going to post online various resources and activities to try and keep the kids' hand in in regards to English and Maths; all other aspects of the curriculum are to to be covered by watching Horrible Histories and Blue Planet(!).
Today's school-directed activities are as follows:-

1. Watch a ten minute Youtube video of a woman going "Muh! Muh is for Mountain. Muh! Muh is for Mountain".

List ends, thank you for your attention. :|

As it happens Mrs Waster had already taken this week off so she can sit with him, I'm an ex-teacher (and also working from home ATM) and the BIL is a teacher so we'll probably be able to make a decent fist of this home schooling malarky and the "School Mums*" Whatsapp group is also pinging constantly with various resources people have found (as well as a load of baseless hear-say, current one is "avoid petrol pumps") but you have to worry about those unable or unwilling to devote sizeable chunks of their working day to try and give their kids some sort of education.

*don't look at me I'm not even allowed to join.
The bagkitten's school has been pretty bloomin' good, although they do seem to have assumed that everyone has a printer, as some of the maths relies on being able to print out the worksheets.

We seem to be muddling through quite well - luckily almost all of my meetings/calls are in the afternoon and it's the other way round for Mr Bagpuss so I'm on morning supervision duty and he's doing afternoons. We've booked out 12-1 as family lunchtime every day, 9-9:30 for me to do some PE with the bagkitten (Joe Wicks yesterday, yoga today), and a few other slots here and there for online stuff. Otherwise, the bagkitten is self-motivated, enjoys schoolwork, great at concentrating, and naturally hard-working, so I think we have it pretty easy, really.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus

Post by Pucksoppet » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 am

eatrem77 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:23 am
How to stop the spread of coronavirus

source: https://creazilla.com/nodes/18821-stop- ... rms-vector
A belated "Welcome!" to you eatrem77. Thanks for contributing, and I hope you follow up your excellent first post.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:50 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
Fear not: They'll free up resources by stopping abortions:
Texas moves to ban most abortions

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 am

This is absurd. People are just carrying on going to work. Nobody understands the rules.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:36 am

This. I woke up and read the media reports about the 'Lockdown!' and thought "This ain't no lockdown, it's just a party ..."

We got proper lockdown here, there ain't no fooling around.
Time for a big fat one.

insignificant
Clardic Fug

Post by insignificant » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:42 am

I heard of a van that was loaded with test kits, packed up and ready to go, but someone sold them all and made a huge profit

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:49 am

dccarm wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:44 pm
discovolante wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:49 pm

Yes apparently the garden centres are still full.
I was in Dobbies yesterday lunchtime (buying veg seeds - playing the long game) and it was pretty quiet.
Oh I see Dobbies is staying open. Well I'm sure that won't pose any problems for Señor von Laté's 83 year old mother, and potentially vulnerable brother, who live with someone who works there.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Turdly
Clardic Fug

Post by Turdly » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:54 am

lpm wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 am
This is absurd. People are just carrying on going to work. Nobody understands the rules.
A lot of employers are at fault here as well.

My partner works for a pharmaceutical contract research organisation. The companies that outsource to them are closing or WFH but expecting their research to continue at the CRO. The computational chemists etc. are allowed to work from home as they only need their computer and an internet connection. The biologists are allowed to work from home ~2 days a week on data analysis but are expected to be in to carry on the lab-based work the rest of the time. The synthetic chemists have been put on shifts to reduce the numbers present as they are almost entirely lab-based.

I think this is mad. My partner thinks this is mad (former virologist!). But when the option is follow this or lose your job what else do you do? I'm expecting hoping this might change today after BoJo's announcement last night but I expect they'll use the lay off clause when that happens.
briefly Stephanie's favourite user

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 am

lpm wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 am
FFS. I wonder how Boris is feeling, with the evidence that a large number of people who voted him in are utter fuckwits. Wonder if the logic of what that means has sunk in.

Mind you, I'm not sure even the powers that be are sure of the rules. They said on the radio this morning that Mayor of London said construction workers shouldn't be working but member of cabinet (can't remember which) said they can, as long as they keep 2m apart. Fecking ridiculous. Unless they're constructing new hospitals or other essential works to keep utilities going, etc, building is not essential. Mayor of London has it right.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 am

discovolante wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:49 am
dccarm wrote:
discovolante wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:49 pm

Yes apparently the garden centres are still full.
I was in Dobbies yesterday lunchtime (buying veg seeds - playing the long game) and it was pretty quiet.
Oh I see Dobbies is staying open. Well I'm sure that won't pose any problems for Señor von Laté's 83 year old mother, and potentially vulnerable brother, who live with someone who works there.
I thought it was only shops selling essential supplies that are allowed to stay open? Or does the fact that they sell veg seeds/plants make them exempt? Mind you, our local one has a food shop within it so that bit could stay open, but it's a separate building from most of the rest. The fruit and veg stall that's permanently outside, despite being allowed to open, has closed to protect their employees. Kudos to them.

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:08 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 am
greyspoke wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 am
shpalman wrote:

They have a steep hill, which is called, "Steep Hill"
One in seven - which is quite remarkable for Lincolnshire.
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:
a double page spread in the Sunday Express — the Russians are running the DHSS!

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:13 am

bagpuss wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 am
discovolante wrote:
dccarm wrote:

I thought it was only shops selling essential supplies that are allowed to stay open? Or does the fact that they sell veg seeds/plants make them exempt? Mind you, our local one has a food shop within it so that bit could stay open, but it's a separate building from most of the rest. The fruit and veg stall that's permanently outside, despite being allowed to open, has closed to protect their employees. Kudos to them.
They sell food now, apparently.

Anyway here is their message:

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 am

bagpuss wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 am
discovolante wrote:

They claim that 70% of their turnover falls into the "food shops, home and hardware shops, and pet shops " essential goods categories, and they'll close off their 'non essential' areas e.g. clothing.

I've emailed a complaint via their website that they are not essential and I will not be a customer in the future if they don't take this seriously.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:32 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
There is the issue of his business interests and what support they will get...
https://twitter.com/awzurcher/status/1242084418040336385