Covid apps

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
science_fox
Snowbonk

Covid apps

Post by science_fox » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 am

Perhaps there's more out there of use:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

Is a tracker looking to ID symptoms and spread through self reporting rather than testing. Not entirely convinced but I've put it on my work phone anyway. (Note I couldn't find this on Play, despite it being advertised there, but had it installed from the website (on a desktop) onto my phone - clever I didn't know you could do that.

Anyone know of more useful things?
Last edited by Stephanie on Thu May 14, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Weighty Matters
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Re: Covid apps

Post by Martin Y » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:16 am

Someone shared that on our street WhatsApp group but they managed to word it so that all my scam alarms were jangling: "kings college launched this app today with researchers at kings college..." and "please share the app with everyone you know". Hmm. The link doesn't look like anything academic and *which* Kings College?

So it's real, then?

science_fox
Snowbonk

Post by science_fox » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:13 pm

I think it's real. The website looks OK. ZOE is a food nutrition company who I think have been brought in because they do monitoring as part of their stuff, with the epidemiology happening at Kings and Guys. It's been shared by a couple of actual scientists I know who'd likely flag obvious fakes.

That said, there's really little information about what they're trying to achieve and how any useful data would be propagated to policy.

But it doesn't seem to ask for much, doesn't require a real name, just a live email address and postcode, and then what I suppose is sort of sensitive basic health data - height weight disabilities and then are you feeling ok? which you update daily. Would be hard to scam with this?

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:28 pm

My brother sent me that this morning. This page on the Kings College site would indicate it's genuine and explains a bit more about it. A quick scan suggest it's really a twin study, but they're opening it to the general public.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:43 pm

Meanwhile the filaindiana.it webpage shows me how long the queue is outside my local supermarket.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

science_fox
Snowbonk

Post by science_fox » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:38 pm

raven wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:28 pm
My brother sent me that this morning. This page on the Kings College site would indicate it's genuine and explains a bit more about it. A quick scan suggest it's really a twin study, but they're opening it to the general public.
Thanks that's a lot more informative!

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:13 pm

You're welcome :D