COVID-19 Profiteering

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: COVID-19 Profiteering

Post by Gfamily » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:06 pm

Aitch wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:36 pm
...these are Professional toilet rolls! Whatever THAT means...
They have paper qualifications?

They didn't go to a plytechnic?

Inside, there's a hidden armature?
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:45 pm

~One of the biggest toilet tissue manufacturers in uk is about a mile from me and still cant get any :lol:
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 pm

Aitch wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:36 pm
My corner shop normally sells cheap loo-rolls at 4 for 90p (approx. He's currently selling 4 for £1.69, but I don't think he's profiteering...
30801ces.jpg
...these are Professional toilet rolls! Whatever THAT means...

Right, you can all go back to being serious now.
They are suitable for Degree dispensers?

You know, the graffiti above a toilet paper dispenser in a university that says "<insert subject you wish to disparage>-degrees, please take one."

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:07 pm

Disaster capitalists sinking ever lower
The Environmental Protection Agency, headed by former coal lobbyist Andrew Wheeler, announced on Thursday a sweeping and indefinite suspension of environmental rules amid the worsening coronavirus pandemic, a move green groups warned gives the fossil fuel industry a "green light to pollute with impunity."

Under the new policy (pdf), which the EPA insisted is temporary while providing no timeframe, big polluters will effectively be trusted to regulate themselves and will not be punished for failing to comply with reporting rules and other requirements. The order—applied retroactively beginning March 13, 2020—requests that companies "act responsibly" to avoid violations.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/ ... ironmental
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:51 pm

What's the opposite of profiteering?

Like this shopkeeper in Oz. To stop bulk buying, he's priced his loo roll as one for $3.50, 2 for $99.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:30 am

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:51 pm
What's the opposite of profiteering?

Like this shopkeeper in Oz. To stop bulk buying, he's priced his loo roll as one for $3.50, 2 for $99.

That's only different to profiteering if nobody buys 2 packs at once. And as for "Think of the other people." - yes try it. Try thinking of people who are shopping for a large family, or for themselves and elderly neighbours who should not go out themselves.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:04 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:25 pm
Millennie Al wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 am
EACLucifer wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:17 pm
It appears Owen Paterson is among the profiteers
In what way is he?
Getting a fucktonne of money from a firm hoarding tests and selling them to those with money, rather than those we urgently need to test, eg frontline NHS workers.
What company hoarded tests at the cost of testing NHS workers? Note that testing of NHS workers is done in accordance with government policy.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:09 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 pm
Well, given the choice between selling scarce life-saving resources based on money rather than need or "not at all", I think "not at all" is the clear winner.
You should think carefully on that position as it seems to me to be dangerously close to that of someone who killls her unfaithful husband rather than let someone else have him.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:21 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:21 pm
Kropotkin was definitely a leftie. He was imprisoned for distributing communist literature, and is still widely regarded amongst various flavours of leftists (and evolutionary biologists, for that matter).

And it seems odd to call his work "remote from reality" at a time when a distributed network of grassroots community organisations, that literally has 'Mutual Aid' in its name, has stepped in to help people survive the pandemic in the absence of anything organised by the government.
That helps show just how remote from reality his ideas were. He claimed that a society could run solely on principles of mutual aid. Reality shows that it only works in narrow circumstances. Mutual aid works reasonably well in circumstances where there is a clear common goal and the costs of achieving this goal are considered reasonable by the participants. It also does not scale well. That's why we have a Welfare State. Once the numbers are large enough that individuals are effectively anonymous you get cheaters - either failing to pay their share of the costs, or taking more than their share of the benefits.

RoMo
Buzzberry

Post by RoMo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:21 am
That's why we have a Welfare State. Once the numbers are large enough that individuals are effectively anonymous you get cheaters - either failing to pay their share of the costs, or taking more than their share of the benefits.
Far and away the former, I would have thought.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:13 pm

Millennie Al wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:09 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 pm
Well, given the choice between selling scarce life-saving resources based on money rather than need or "not at all", I think "not at all" is the clear winner.
You should think carefully on that position as it seems to me to be dangerously close to that of someone who killls her unfaithful husband rather than let someone else have him.
wat

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:23 pm

Not profiteering as normally understood but I gather some medical staff are being told that the Easter W/E will be normal working days so enhanced rates will not be payable ...
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:28 pm

A chemist near me is selling 100 ml of 61% isopropyl alcohol as hand sanitiser for $10.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:57 am

Sales of guns and ammo have risen sharply in the US recently. As you'd expect some spoilsports are trying to slap down on such fun and profit. In the Land of Guns and the Law this leads to challenges such as
Firearms activists sue California.
A coalition of gun owner groups filed a federal lawsuit Friday against the Los Angeles County Sheriff, Gov. Gavin Newsom and state and county health officials seeking to block the closure of gun shops during the coronavirus shutdown.

Sheriff Alex Villaneuva closed gun stores in L.A. County Thursday to everyone except police and licensed security company employees after the governor deemed that firearms sellers are considered nonessential businesses during California’s shutdown of commerce in an effort to limit and slow the spread of the coronavirus...

In the lawsuit filed in federal court in Los Angeles on Friday seeking declaratory relief, the gun owner groups characterized the closure as a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms.
“California’s attack on fundamental rights in times of emergency must be stopped in its tracks,” said Alan Gottlieb, executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation...
Halleluja bangbang ...

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:51 pm

Yep, what emergency needs is some guns...

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:40 am

JQH wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:23 pm
Not profiteering as normally understood but I gather some medical staff are being told that the Easter W/E will be normal working days so enhanced rates will not be payable ...
Here major healthcare provider groups are cutting pay and not paying retirement benefits, because they aren't getting enough income from insurers paying for elective procedures.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:09 pm

Fossil fuel companies and big banks take advantage of the lockdown to push ahead with the Keystone XL pipeline, as for the first time in a decade they reckon they can get on with it without any protestors turning up.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -pipelines