COVID-19 Heroes and Villains

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Stranger Mouse
After Pie

COVID-19 Heroes and Villains

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Leave your nominations here.

I'm starting with Anthony Fauci - he's becoming a hero to me and a villain to the Trumpers. Nice podcast interview with him by Sanjay Gupta here

https://www.cnn.com/audio/podcasts/corona-virus

My choice of villain is Trump. Sorry to be predictable but I think the onslaught of the virus on the American public will be far worse because of his incompetence and venality.
Last edited by Stephanie on Thu May 14, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Weighty Matters
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

tenchboy
After Pie

Re: COVID-19 Heroes and Villains

Post by tenchboy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:06 pm

Perfect Timing I was just thinking how I might introduce this one.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:07 pm

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:57 am

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:59 pm

I'm starting with Anthony Fauci - he's becoming a hero to me and a villain to the Trumpers. Nice podcast interview with him by Sanjay Gupta here

My choice of villain is Trump. Sorry to be predictable but I think the onslaught of the virus on the American public will be far worse because of his incompetence and venality.
I'd have thought Bolsonaro or Orban were worse villains; or at least can cause more harm through their greater control.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:15 am

Courage, and dedication to duty, are not always rewarded, it seems, given that the USN appear to be dismissing Captain Crozier for trying to save the lives of his crew

FredM
Clardic Fug

Post by FredM » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:58 am

Martin_B wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:57 am
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:59 pm

I'd have thought Bolsonaro or Orban were worse villains; or at least can cause more harm through their greater control.
I’d second Bolsanaro (a Brazilian ex-colleague refers to him as ‘Bolsonasno’ - asno is Portuguese for a donkey).

Reserve villain: serial grifter, “progressive eugenicist” and lapsed member of the human race Toby Young.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:02 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:15 am
Courage, and dedication to duty, are not always rewarded, it seems, given that the USN appear to be dismissing Captain Crozier for trying to save the lives of his crew
Links for those who have no idea who Captain Crozier is:

San Francisco Chronicle: Exclusive: Captain of aircraft carrier with growing coronavirus outbreak pleads for help from Navy: Matthias Gafni and Joe Garofoli March 31, 2020
San Francisco Chronicle: Navy captain of coronavirus-infected aircraft carrier relieved of command: Joe Garofoli , Tal Kopan and Matthias Gafni April 2, 2020

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:14 am

Heroes: Asiyah and Jawad Javed
The Independent: Coronavirus: Cornershop giving away face-masks, antibacterial hand gel and cleaning wipes to elderly

I saw the report originally on the BBC website, but the search function never seems to work for me, only ever finding old irrelevant stuff if it finds anything at all, and putting the right keywords into a generic Internet search engine gives me The Independent's write up of the same story.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:26 am

Villain

No surprise, but shocking all the same...
On Wednesday it was reported that $1,200 relief cheques for as many as 70 million people could be delayed for several days because Trump wanted his name printed on them.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ing-freeze
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:27 pm

My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

plebian

Post by plebian » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:39 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:27 pm
Heroes

Doncaster Council
https://twitter.com/MyDoncaster/status/ ... 5065109504
That is ace. Whoever works on their social media team deserves a knighthood. Weaving a story to hammer home the point, whilst being progressive. Brava.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:27 pm

Villain: f.cking Beardy-Tax-Dodging-Perma-Self-Publicising-Balloon-Wrecking-Wazzock Branson asking for a bail out while sitting out there on his own private British Virgin Island, where, purely coincidentally and quite by accident, he doesn't have to pay any income tax, while also sitting on over £4.5 billion, which he says he doesn't actually, really have...

Look down the back of the sofa, I'm sure you can find something to pay your staff with.

Cough up all the money you haven't paid in taxes and NI and the rest here in the UK, sell a company or 2, an island or 2, a speedboat or 2, re-open some branches of Virgin Money, which you picked up for a song, and then we might start to talk about some other things...
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:14 pm

plebian wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:39 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Heroes

Doncaster Council
That is ace. Whoever works on their social media team deserves a knighthood. Weaving a story to hammer home the point, whilst being progressive. Brava.
I kind of hope it's someone prepping their CV to become a history teacher :)
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:17 pm

Villains - the far right USAdians protesting about the lockdowns in the US

Heroes - the US healthcare workers who've actually seen people die of COVID, who stood in traffic to block them and remind them why the lockdowns are necessary

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 74406.html

CF

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:59 pm

Villains.

The DHSC apparently operating, perhaps at arm's length, a large number of fake Twitter accounts purporting to be those of NHS workers: Twitter thread.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:43 am

Novak Djokovic: a fine example of why we shouldn't listen to sport-ists talk about anything other than their sport, and probably not even then. Shut up and hit some balls!

Hunting Dog
Fuzzable

Post by Hunting Dog » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:34 am

Fairly sure Trump should count as villain

Hilarious send up video of one of his press confereneces here

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:50 am

discovolante wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:14 pm
plebian wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:39 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Heroes

Doncaster Council
I kind of hope it's someone prepping their CV to become a history teacher :)
Their latest effort.

https://twitter.com/MyDoncaster/status/ ... 8314754048
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

FredM
Clardic Fug

Post by FredM » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:38 am

I’m not sure whether Simon MacDonald is a hero for disclosing that UKgov took a political decision not to participate in the EU procurement scheme or a villain for denying it in this letter.

The letter contains a Yes Minister level of weasel wording so perhaps it’s really saying “my evidence was correct but Raab instructed me to write this so I’ve deliberately worded it in a way that allows people to read between the lines”.

David Allen Green dissects the content.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:12 am

Dunno whether this numpty counts as a villain, rather than just a flat out eejit.

However, Luc Montagnier is well into the Villain category (see yesterday's Orac piece).

MartinDurkin
Clardic Fug

Post by MartinDurkin » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Just seen these moneygrubbing gobshites advertisement on the back of a bus in Leeds.
What's your best defence against any virus?
Boost your immune system.
https://www.chucklinggoat.co.uk/

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:41 pm

MartinDurkin wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:10 pm
Just seen these moneygrubbing gobshites advertisement on the back of a bus in Leeds.
What's your best defence against any virus?
Boost your immune system.
https://www.chucklinggoat.co.uk/
Acksherly, isn't an overactive immune system (cytocine storm) one of the causes of death in SARS-CoV-2? 'Boosting' your immune system (whatever that means) might not be the best strategy,

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:13 am

murmur wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:27 pm
Villain: f.cking Beardy-Tax-Dodging-Perma-Self-Publicising-Balloon-Wrecking-Wazzock Branson asking for a bail out while sitting out there on his own private British Virgin Island, where, purely coincidentally and quite by accident, he doesn't have to pay any income tax, while also sitting on over £4.5 billion, which he says he doesn't actually, really have...

Look down the back of the sofa, I'm sure you can find something to pay your staff with.

Cough up all the money you haven't paid in taxes and NI and the rest here in the UK, sell a company or 2, an island or 2, a speedboat or 2, re-open some branches of Virgin Money, which you picked up for a song, and then we might start to talk about some other things...
How much has he not paid in taxes and how has he managed to stay out of jail since paying your taxes is a legal requirement?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:58 am

Pretending not to understand the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion isn't clever.

Nor is conflating morality and legality.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:19 am

. . . but recognising that large scale tax-avoidance is possible because laws are written for the benefit of the super-rich, whether personal or corporate, is immoral AND something can and should be done about it is .
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.