Get well soon Boris

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Get well soon Boris

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:50 pm

plebian wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:22 pm
Tinfoil hat territory but how likely is it that he got it on purpose?
I mean, we already know he deliberately didn't bother following even the few restrictions his government imposed, boasting of shaking hands with doctors and not bothering with social distancing and all that malarkey.

While I'm sure he didn't go up to a patient on a ventilator and start huffing their dribble I think it's pretty clear that, at absolute best, he took no precautions against getting it, but quite possibly thought it would be a good thing to catch it and get it over with.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:58 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:50 pm
plebian wrote:
I mean, we already know he deliberately didn't bother following even the few restrictions his government imposed, boasting of shaking hands with doctors and not bothering with social distancing and all that malarkey.

While I'm sure he didn't go up to a patient on a ventilator and start huffing their dribble I think it's pretty clear that, at absolute best, he took no precautions against getting it, but quite possibly thought it would be a good thing to catch it and get it over with.
If he did, it could be a manifestation of a peculiar right wing/social conservative view that bad things only happen to other people who obviously deserved them, because if they didn't deserve them, bad things wouldn't have happened to them. Poor people are poor because they don't work hard enough and exploit the cornucopia of opportunities in front of them; ill people are ill due to moral laxity and slovenliness. Never happens to right-thinking folk.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:05 pm

Pucksoppet wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:58 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
plebian wrote:

If he did, it could be a manifestation of a peculiar right wing/social conservative view that bad things only happen to other people who obviously deserved them, because if they didn't deserve them, bad things wouldn't have happened to them. Poor people are poor because they don't work hard enough and exploit the cornucopia of opportunities in front of them; ill people are ill due to moral laxity and slovenliness. Never happens to right-thinking folk.
Apparently psychopaths don't have the same fear of bad consequences. Deterrence doesn't work on them.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:07 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:36 pm
lpm wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:10 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:49 pm

He'll be kicking himself if he dies.

So is he going to die, then? I mean, LPM said elsewhere it was about the right stage for an autoimmune reaction to get him but I don't know if that was serious or just a bit of catastrophising to cheer us up. Has his doc packed him off to hospital because he reckons there's a cytokine storm coming?
Doesn't sound as if he's at serious risk. But being not too ill in the first week doesn't rule out being very ill in the second. He might well be in hospital for days, then in recovery for a couple of weeks.

He really shouldn't be working. Politically it's a mistake - he's looking like the sort of macho tw.t who's scared to go to the doctors. Women voters in particular would rate him higher if he was upfront and acknowledged we all can get ill and need help.
That didn't age well.
Seems like the perfect time for thread called "Boris Johnson 1964-2020".

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:49 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
plebian wrote:

Various right wing commentators have been stating that concern over Covid was just media driven hysteria while in fact Covid is no worse that influenza. Possible that back then Johnson didn’t take the warnings seriously.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:12 pm

Would that work with the incubation time? I've lost track of time, so I have no idea now when he was doing that and when he may have been taking things more seriously.

I do hope he recovers. If nothing else, I think (maybe being overly generous) that (unlike someone like trump) he's got some capacity to change and, prior to the next election and a vague opportunity to kick out the Tories, that might be something good. As opposed to someone in charge (say Raab) who doesn't get it and thinks they can go full right-wing, free-market Tory again when it's over.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:15 pm

I also hope he recovers, and learns from the experience. I’m not confident that if he does recover he will learn. David Cameron went on about how much he loved the NHS because of what his son went through, but his legacy doesn’t really reflect that.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:31 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:49 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
plebian wrote:

Various right wing commentators have been stating that concern over Covid was just media driven hysteria while in fact Covid is no worse that influenza. Possible that back then Johnson didn’t take the warnings seriously.
Not just the right wing. There was some hack in the Guardian saying similar.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:47 pm

Starmer, Milliband, Corbyn and Dave all tweeting best wishes to Boris Johnson this evening

Trump instead just pushes his new favourite drug
Attachments
0DA58507-1529-40C9-92E9-361121D45E4E.png
0DA58507-1529-40C9-92E9-361121D45E4E.png (322.24 KiB) Viewed 5851 times
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:57 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:12 pm
Would that work with the incubation time? I've lost track of time, so I have no idea now when he was doing that and when he may have been taking things more seriously.
Maybe. He said that he’d been shaking hands with patients on 3 March and he tested positive on 27 March.

Three weeks is a bit long for an incubation period. But he may have shook hands after 3 March, and May have had some symptoms before he was tested.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:03 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Starmer, Milliband, Corbyn and Dave all tweeting best wishes to Boris Johnson this evening

I read that Trump said something not entirely inappropriate (amazingly) at his press conference. Presumably one bit of empathy per day is his limit.

I think he may be being quite canny with the (hydroxy)chloroquine. Maybe it's because he can't spell it, but from what I've seen (and it's true that I don't spend a lot of time on his outout), his support for it seems to have been more of the nudge-nudge variety. Of course the believers in his base will lap that up --- that's the point --- but it could be that his medical advisers have at least got him to not hold up the box on TV and say "ask for this, folks".
Last edited by sTeamTraen on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Something something hammer something something nail

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:04 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:57 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Maybe. He said that he’d been shaking hands with patients on 3 March and he tested positive on 27 March.

Three weeks is a bit long for an incubation period. But he may have shook hands after 3 March, and May have had some symptoms before he was tested.
It needn't be the case that he contracted the virus on that exact occasion. I think it's fairly well documented that he and his coterie took a pretty slapdash approach to the enhanced hygiene for quite some time (right up until several of them got ill, in fact).

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:08 pm

A continuous high temperature for a week is indicative of an infection the body is struggling to fight off.

I had this three decades ago. I was a fit and healthy 30 year old and an A1 patient. I survived.

And I do hope that this 55 year old manages to get through it.

My thinking on this is that there are going to be at least a million people in this country who will have some form of PTSD after all this is over.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:11 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:03 pm
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:47 pm

I read that Trump said something not entirely inappropriate (amazingly) at his press conference. Presumably one bit of empathy per day is his limit.

I think he may be being quite canny with the (hydroxy)chloroquine. Maybe it's because he can't spell it, but from what I've seen (and it's true that I don't spend a lot of time on his outout), his support for it seems to have been more of the nudge-nudge variety. Of course the believers in his base will lap that up --- that's the point --- but it could be that his medical advisers have at least got him to not hold up the box on TV and say "ask for this, folks".
Don’t worry, Rudy’s been doing that for him.

https://apple.news/A9a3MyAYcQF-z71yXpTWwHg

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:17 pm

Trump offers to help cure Boris

Give me strength

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1247 ... 87718?s=21
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:18 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:04 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:57 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:

It needn't be the case that he contracted the virus on that exact occasion. I think it's fairly well documented that he and his coterie took a pretty slapdash approach to the enhanced hygiene for quite some time (right up until several of them got ill, in fact).
Yes, if he was complacent in early March then the time fits.

Bewildered
Fuzzable

Post by Bewildered » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:19 am

Well I genuinely hope he does get better. Even though I don’t live there anymore I wouldn’t wish the leadership of Dominic Raab on anyone.

secret squirrel
Snowbonk

Post by secret squirrel » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:38 am

Boris won't become any less of a c.nt if he dies in a vaguely ironic fashion.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:08 am

Grumble wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:15 pm
I also hope he recovers, and learns from the experience. I’m not confident that if he does recover he will learn. David Cameron went on about how much he loved the NHS because of what his son went through, but his legacy doesn’t really reflect that.
Duck posted this on Facebook
Sigh.
May God grant him good health, clear insight, perfect repentance, and a long memory.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

gosling
Stargoon

Post by gosling » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:21 am

:roll:
holy_fuck.jpg
holy_fuck.jpg (38.12 KiB) Viewed 5687 times

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:54 am

greyspoke wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 am
You are very predictable lpm
But she's right.
What kind of lickspittle feels the need to wish a psychopathic c.nt well because he's a victim of his own arrogance?
He would kill every one of us without blinking if he thought it would personally enrich or empower him.
Plus, Boris is his stage name. Don't further the use of it. He's not your f.cking mate, and if he was, he'd have tried to f.ck your wife by now.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:46 am

tom p wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:54 am
He's not your f.cking mate, and if he was, he'd have tried to f.ck your wife by now.
Holy sh.t, lmao
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:50 am

See, now that's acceptable content.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:40 am

tom p wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:54 am
greyspoke wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 am
You are very predictable lpm
But she's right.
What kind of lickspittle feels the need to wish a psychopathic c.nt well because he's a victim of his own arrogance?
He would kill every one of us without blinking if he thought it would personally enrich or empower him.
Plus, Boris is his stage name. Don't further the use of it. He's not your f.cking mate, and if he was, he'd have tried to f.ck your wife by now.
This.
Perit hic laetatio.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:31 am

Operation Last Gasp really coming back to bite him on the arse eh
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."