Aptitudes and abilities

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
johnathan
Ghastly Pink

Aptitudes and abilities

Post by johnathan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:11 pm

What the difference between Aptitudes and Abilities?

Martin_B
After Pie

Re: Aptitudes and abilities

Post by Martin_B » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:56 pm

johnathan wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:11 pm
What the difference between Aptitudes and Abilities?
An aptitude is generally a natural talent or ability. Otherwise, an ability can be learnt.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:46 pm

they're much the same in that members of the current government has neither.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:14 am

One of those distinctions where somebody decides to use words in a particular way, in a particular situation and expects everyone else to either understand or follow suite. For instance, I never managed to understand which was a lesson objective and which was a lesson target. Didn't give a f.ck then or now. The pupils never understood either. Years later a department of education instructor was lecturing me on how to teach rudimentary programming, he said we were not teaching skills but capabilities. I had him explain the distinction and what he meant, three times, I still did not get it. I understand the words but not what he meant by them in that context. Conclusion; he was bullshitting.

Good rule of thumb; if the pupils don't understand, when other teachers have explained it to them and I don't understand it either, then it probably doesn't matter.

Generally if I don't understand something it's either quantum mechanics or b.llsh.t and I'm making progress on the quantum mechanics.

At a guess I would say that an aptitude was a natural gift for learning summat and an ability was the result. But then I could be wrong.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:22 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:14 am
One of those distinctions where somebody decides to use words in a particular way, in a particular situation and expects everyone else to either understand or follow suite. For instance, I never managed to understand which was a lesson objective and which was a lesson target. Didn't give a f.ck then or now. The pupils never understood either. Years later a department of education instructor was lecturing me on how to teach rudimentary programming, he said we were not teaching skills but capabilities. I had him explain the distinction and what he meant, three times, I still did not get it. I understand the words but not what he meant by them in that context. Conclusion; he was bullshitting.

Good rule of thumb; if the pupils don't understand, when other teachers have explained it to them and I don't understand it either, then it probably doesn't matter.

Generally if I don't understand something it's either quantum mechanics or b.llsh.t and I'm making progress on the quantum mechanics.

At a guess I would say that an aptitude was a natural gift for learning summat and an ability was the result. But then I could be wrong.
I agree substantially with B'don.

Aptitude: Natural, baseline, untrained competence/ability. Having an aptitude for something doesn't mean you are immediately good at it, but that you can be trained easily.
Ability: Capability/competence to actually perform a task. Ability can be improved by education, training, and practice. Aptitude can't.

Having an aptitude for languages doesn't mean you can speak all the languages of the world, but that you can learn a new one more quickly than someone who doesn't have an aptitude for languages.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:52 am

Pucksoppet wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:22 am
Boustrophedon wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:14 am

I agree substantially with B'don.

Aptitude: Natural, baseline, untrained competence/ability. Having an aptitude for something doesn't mean you are immediately good at it, but that you can be trained easily.
Ability: Capability/competence to actually perform a task. Ability can be improved by education, training, and practice. Aptitude can't.

Having an aptitude for languages doesn't mean you can speak all the languages of the world, but that you can learn a new one more quickly than someone who doesn't have an aptitude for languages.
That's how I understand it, which is why there are abilities and [/i]natural[/i] abilities to distinguish between learnt skills and aptitude. Nature v nurture, sort of.

johnathan
Ghastly Pink

Post by johnathan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:15 am

Thanks, Guys! Very interesting and useful answers. Perhaps, write your answers in my blog.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:02 am

I've wondered how far seemingly innate aptitudes blur into trained abilities due to early play experiences we just don't recognise as pertinent training.

e.g. I found technical drawing classes dead easy, but several of my fellow students really struggled and they learned to come to me with questions about how some part would look if it were turned 90°or if you could see through it to features on the reverse. I suspect lots of early play, from building blocks to Lego to Meccano, developed my abilities to think of objects in 3D.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:38 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:46 pm
they're much the same in that members of the current government has neither.
Where's the like button?
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:02 am
I've wondered how far seemingly innate aptitudes blur into trained abilities due to early play experiences we just don't recognise as pertinent training.

e.g. I found technical drawing classes dead easy, but several of my fellow students really struggled and they learned to come to me with questions about how some part would look if it were turned 90°or if you could see through it to features on the reverse. I suspect lots of early play, from building blocks to Lego to Meccano, developed my abilities to think of objects in 3D.
Your early play may have honed your abilities but what drew you to play with those toys rather than others was an aptitude for them. You wouldn't have continued to play with them if you'd found them hard or dull. Talent (aka aptitude) isn't much use on its own. It takes practice and learning to bring out its full extent. You don't sit at a piano for the first time at the age of 30 and play brilliantly, no matter how much aptitude you were born with.

johnathan
Ghastly Pink

Post by johnathan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:12 pm

Thanks all for your answers! In google I found this useful article about How are Aptitudes and Abilities Different? | Differencebtwn