I want to see another comet

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
lpm
Junior Mod

I want to see another comet

Post by lpm » Thu May 14, 2020 1:03 pm

I really enjoyed Hale-Bopp and I'm now mildly disturbed it was 23 years ago. A good comet would be a suitable event for 2020, given how they bring pestilence and disaster.

That Atlas comet was promising but then went to pieces quicker than Boris Johnson under Starmer's questioning. We now have Comet SWAN - or, as I like to call it, Comet Swan. But it's in the north east at dawn or something, so the sky's not dark enough when it's visible. For the northern hemisphere anyway, it's currently better in other hemispheres.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: I want to see another comet

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu May 14, 2020 1:11 pm

I was 6 years old for Hale-Bop. I'd like to see one as an adult, and the next Halley slot isn't 2061 which might be pushing my luck.

Guess we're gonna have to go to space, lpm. Can you sort out a rocket? I'll get the freeze-dried food and weapons.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu May 14, 2020 1:16 pm

I saw comet McNaught in December 2006 from the office window in the early twilight sky on the one half-clear evening we seemed to have that month.

Fortunately, the person I pointed out to appreciated that seeing a comet effectively in daylight was a very rare event.

Sadly, the comet was best in the southern hemisphere, but I was pleased to have seen it.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Thu May 14, 2020 3:30 pm

I remember seeing Halley in 1986*. My early teenage self found it visually a somewhat underwhelming event, though it was quite interesting from a scientific or rational point of view. To be honest, watching the train of Starlink satellites go overhead a couple of weeks ago made a larger impression.

* I had to look that up.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu May 14, 2020 3:48 pm

I had this book as a young kid in the 80s. I don't remember seeing Halley's comet, though I do remember Hale-Bopp.
Halleys.comet-1.jpg
Halleys.comet-1.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Thu May 14, 2020 4:21 pm

I remember Comet Kohoutek in 1973. Or rather, I remember the huge publicity about it, and am not sure if I actually saw it (I did see a smudge in the sky) because it didn't really perform.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu May 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu May 14, 2020 8:04 pm

lpm wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:03 pm
I really enjoyed Hale-Bopp and I'm now mildly disturbed it was 23 years ago. A good comet would be a suitable event for 2020, given how they bring pestilence and disaster.

That Atlas comet was promising but then went to pieces quicker than Boris Johnson under Starmer's questioning. We now have Comet SWAN - or, as I like to call it, Comet Swan. But it's in the north east at dawn or something, so the sky's not dark enough when it's visible. For the northern hemisphere anyway, it's currently better in other hemispheres.
How many other hemispheres are there?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu May 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Grumble wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:04 pm
lpm wrote:

An infinite number, surely? Only the northernmost is specifically excluded, leaving infinity-minus-one hemispheres.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Thu May 14, 2020 8:47 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:11 pm
Grumble wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:04 pm
lpm wrote:

An infinite number, surely? Only the northernmost is specifically excluded, leaving infinity-minus-one hemispheres.
Quick Fix for you. :)
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu May 14, 2020 8:57 pm

jaap wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:30 pm
I remember seeing Halley in 1986*. My early teenage self found it visually a somewhat underwhelming event, though it was quite interesting from a scientific or rational point of view. To be honest, watching the train of Starlink satellites go overhead a couple of weeks ago made a larger impression.

* I had to look that up.
My mate Pete and I were quite pleased with ourselves because we managed to locate Halley's comet with rather crappy binoculars for several nights before any of the news media got interested enough to publish photos of it. I can't now remember how we learned where to look for it. How did we do stuff before there was an internet?

Turdly
Clardic Fug

Post by Turdly » Fri May 15, 2020 11:44 am

Martin Y wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:57 pm
jaap wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:30 pm

* I had to look that up.
My mate Pete and I were quite pleased with ourselves because we managed to locate Halley's comet with rather crappy binoculars for several nights before any of the news media got interested enough to publish photos of it. I can't now remember how we learned where to look for it. How did we do stuff before there was an internet?
We sent off a stamped and self-addressed envelope, possibly with a cheque, and waited at least 28 days for delivery.
briefly Stephanie's favourite user

geejaytee
Clardic Fug

Post by geejaytee » Fri May 15, 2020 12:00 pm

For Halley, there was a BBC Micro program (which might have been sold/given to schools or astronomy clubs - I'm not sure how I managed to get hold of it, aside from it being on a cassette copy of a copy of a copy), so it might have been that.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri May 15, 2020 12:25 pm

If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Fri May 15, 2020 12:30 pm

It's sort-of coming back to me that someone, maybe New Scientist, had a chart showing where Halley's comet was expected to be on certain dates and we extrapolated that track back. That's probably why we were so pleased with ourselves - because we spotted it several days before the first date they showed. I do remember drawing a chart of a region of stars in the back of my maths book, and plotting where the smudge was each night.