Anti lockdown demo

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Tessa K
Light of Blast

Anti lockdown demo

Post by Tessa K » Sat May 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Anti-lockdown protestors in Hyde Park in London today were the triple whammy of woo - anti-vaxxers, 5G conspiracists and Freemen on the Land with their 'common law'. One of them was Jeremy Corbyn's brother. If he was still leader that would have been used as a stick to beat him with.

It seems different from the US protestors who bang on about their liberty, rights and freedom of choice, this is more conspiracy based.

I get the mentality of conspiracists but making out that there is no pandemic and it's a conspiracy to control the population doesn't hang together even with their logic. It's happening worldwide so who is in charge? Aliens? Or maybe it isn't happening anywhere else and it's just a UK Big Brother exercise?

Opti
Dorkwood

Re: Anti lockdown demo

Post by Opti » Sat May 16, 2020 6:01 pm

Apparently about 10 turned up in Bristol. :D They had to ask each other if this was 'the thing'.

From here
Time for a big fat one.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat May 16, 2020 6:09 pm

869431EE-74D1-4C45-A2E6-BD8BEE43CED9.jpeg
869431EE-74D1-4C45-A2E6-BD8BEE43CED9.jpeg (158.15 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
:lol: :lol: :lol:
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat May 16, 2020 6:51 pm

Is it reasonable to assume that the ones wearing masks are journalists? It looks like that could be a fair percentage of the people there.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Sat May 16, 2020 6:55 pm

Opti wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:01 pm
Apparently about 10 turned up in Bristol. :D They had to ask each other if this was 'the thing'.

From here
That makes me feel quite relieved. It also shows how little 'grass roots' activism was involved in planning at least some of these events.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat May 16, 2020 7:20 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:51 pm
Is it reasonable to assume that the ones wearing masks are journalists? It looks like that could be a fair percentage of the people there.
Not sure. A lot of the "Reopen America" protestors have been wearing masks alongside their firearms.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat May 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Opti wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:01 pm

From here
Well I for one am reassured that the disease is “objectively” not going to kill me.

I think that’s one for the “I don’t think that word means what you think it means” phile.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Sat May 16, 2020 9:09 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:46 pm

It seems different from the US protestors who bang on about their liberty, rights and freedom of choice ...
It also seems different because none of them are carrying assault rifles.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat May 16, 2020 9:23 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:20 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Not sure. A lot of the "Reopen America" protestors have been wearing masks alongside their firearms.
That could be so 'the man' can't use his facial recognition software to hunt you down and make you disappear
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

gosling
Stargoon

Post by gosling » Sat May 16, 2020 10:09 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:46 pm
I get the mentality of conspiracists but making out that there is no pandemic and it's a conspiracy to control the population doesn't hang together even with their logic. It's happening worldwide so who is in charge? Aliens? Or maybe it isn't happening anywhere else and it's just a UK Big Brother exercise?
I've seen it described as "Jew Flu", so presumably it's another plot to take over the world. Is ZOG still a thing in the batshit crazy corners of the internet?

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun May 17, 2020 11:12 am

If you're going to protest against lockdown, at least have a party. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-52696720

I can only assume that both the groups of protestors and partyers haven't lost anyone, otherwise they might think differently.

If the Government was doing this to control us, you'd think they'd be doing a better job of it. Boris wasn't really ill, was he?

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun May 17, 2020 12:57 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Gfamily wrote:
If I was part of an armed mob threatening the members of an elected assembly, I'd wear a mask too.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Sun May 17, 2020 2:04 pm

JQH wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:57 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Gfamily wrote:
If I was part of an armed mob threatening the members of an elected assembly, I'd wear a mask too.
Though if I was doing so in America, i'd make sure I didn't cover my whole face. Gotta let some of that pink skin show so the cops won't shoot me.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun May 17, 2020 2:20 pm

tom p wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:04 pm
JQH wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:57 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:

Though if I was doing so in America, i'd make sure I didn't cover my whole face. Gotta let some of that pink skin show so the cops won't shoot me.
Good point, well made.

Actually it is a f.cking good point. If the mob had been black or Muslim the police reaction would have been rather more aggressive.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Mon May 18, 2020 8:23 am

There's something incredibly sad about American politics that this is not just a cynical lefty joke. They couldn't get convictions to stick for that posse who took over the wildlife refuge at Malheur. I don't think I've heard of any arrests over the people wandering around the Michigan legislature shouting and waving guns. But riot gear and water cannons were considered appropriate tools for managing the pipeline protests in Dakota.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon May 18, 2020 1:40 pm

Squeak wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:23 am
There's something incredibly sad about American politics that this is not just a cynical lefty joke. They couldn't get convictions to stick for that posse who took over the wildlife refuge at Malheur. I don't think I've heard of any arrests over the people wandering around the Michigan legislature shouting and waving guns. But riot gear and water cannons were considered appropriate tools for managing the pipeline protests in Dakota.
There's a really depressing thread that's been running on what used to be JREF about the behaviour of US police officers, with lots of utterly shocking incidents

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... p?t=323251
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue May 26, 2020 11:12 pm

I've moved the discussion of the killing of Ahmaud Arbery to US police & murders of black men.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.