Dominic Cummings in Durham

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Dominic Cummings in Durham

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri May 22, 2020 8:41 pm

I've moved various Dominic Cummings in Durham related posts into a new thread (this one) seeing as it appears to be a topic of discussion in its own right. If you spot any I've missed please feel free to flag up with me - discovolante

Oh look, Dominic Cummings broke the lockdown to go visit his parents in Durham whilst he had symptoms.

Now, will ministers be demanding/welcoming his resignation as per prof Ferguson?

ETA- that's looking a bit like a dead cat...

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Re: Dominic Cummings in Durham

Post by Trinucleus » Fri May 22, 2020 9:02 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:41 pm
Oh look, Dominic Cummings broke the lockdown to go visit his parents in Durham whilst he had symptoms.

Now, will ministers be demanding/welcoming his resignation as per prof Ferguson?

ETA- that's looking a bit like a dead cat...
I presume the scientific advice was that only plebs needed to isolate

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri May 22, 2020 9:30 pm

I'm assuming Cummings will not get fired (at least for a few days) - unless there is a sufficient groundswell against him and/or Johnson starts to think about Weds' PMQs...

cf. Waiving the NHS surcharge - no, no, no, no, no, we're not going to do that... ok we will.

Thing is, Cummings will just find another way to keep "advising government" (i.e. telling them what to do) - he's basically the equivalent of political herpes. Once contracted, there's no way to get rid.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:30 pm
I'm assuming Cummings will not get fired (at least for a few days) - unless there is a sufficient groundswell against him and/or Johnson starts to think about Weds' PMQs...
No PMQs for a fortnight...

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri May 22, 2020 10:54 pm

Then it's probably the best day for this to emerge (for Johnson and Cummings), by Monday it'll be a fading memory and no PMQs on weds to bring it back.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri May 22, 2020 11:02 pm

Cats have nine lives.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Sat May 23, 2020 11:31 am

Gove defends Cummi gs - apparently it's not a crime to care for your children.

Was that written into the legislation?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat May 23, 2020 11:41 am

Trinucleus wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:31 am

What about "it's a crime to not care for your other children?"

Johnson could be in trouble over that.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat May 23, 2020 12:24 pm

Trinucleus wrote:

Too ill to look after their kids, but apparently safe to drive several hundred miles to Durham?

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sat May 23, 2020 1:50 pm

Trinucleus wrote:

Which opens up the one rule for him, one for everyone else attack.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat May 23, 2020 2:40 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:50 pm
Trinucleus wrote:

Which opens up the one rule for him, one for everyone else attack.
Face it, he's managed to get Julia Hartley Brewer and Piers Morgan to agree with Alistair Campbell, James O'Brien and Phil Hammond.

another astounding success.

A bit like Johnson's public address on his new guidelines being mocked by Matt Lucas - not the most political of comedians.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Sat May 23, 2020 5:19 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:41 am
Trinucleus wrote:

What about "it's a crime to not care for your other children?"

Johnson could be in trouble over that.
Not really. Every cabinet member has defended Cummings citing the ‘good parent’ argument - ignoring the fact that thousands have been in the same situation but had to do as government advice told them. We can also add a soupçon of implying that if people who did as they were told are somehow bad parents.

It’s all a bit Animal Farm really.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat May 23, 2020 5:21 pm

Exactly, and in at least one case, Johnson has been a terrible parent.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm

Oo, the Guardian and Mirror are playing a good game. Put out done details, allow the denials to fly then add some more damaging details.

Now alleged that he didn't just dip the kids at his parents, but did some sightseeing too...

I wonder what else they've got up their sleeve to drop after the next round of supportive ministerial comments?

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 pm

So the Guardian are now reporting Covid Cummings was spotted sightseeing, while the Mirror have now revealed he did a second trip up north, after the first one.

This is after the Tory leadership all closed ranks to defend him, having rushed to condemn Ferguson when Ferguson was radically less risky.

And it remains the case that the li(n)e they are using is that Covid Cummings was too ill to care for his kids. Were this the case, he was also too ill to drive.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat May 23, 2020 11:36 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 pm
So the Guardian are now reporting Covid Cummings was spotted sightseeing, while the Mirror have now revealed he did a second trip up north, after the first one.

This is after the Tory leadership all closed ranks to defend him, having rushed to condemn Ferguson when Ferguson was radically less risky.
A lot of ministers and Tory MPs had to be reluctantly dragged out to parrot the "trip was necessary for the kid's safety" line on Saturday. They will not be so keen now that it has emerged that Cummings took another trip a week or so later.

What gets me about this is why Cummings apparently didn't imagine that anyone would recognise him. He's apparently not driven by fame and he certainly doesn't spend a lot on looking flash, but he is quite recognisable to anyone who follows politics. If I'd been in his position I'd have stayed in, got my wife to get the coffees and fill up the car with petrol, etc.
Something something hammer something something nail

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sun May 24, 2020 7:14 am

My usually very sensible brother has just texted me to tell me that his wife and kids are heading to a seafront to meet up with nan today.

When I told him that the rules only permitted two individuals from separate households to meet, he said “tell that to Cummings”.

This whole debacle will now just give everyone the excuse to break the rules with impunity.

Huge second wave by, what? July? August?

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Sun May 24, 2020 9:55 am

headshot wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:14 am
My usually very sensible brother has just texted me to tell me that his wife and kids are heading to a seafront to meet up with nan today.

When I told him that the rules only permitted two individuals from separate households to meet, he said “tell that to Cummings”.

This whole debacle will now just give everyone the excuse to break the rules with impunity.

That attitude about going out is a complete misrepresentation of what Cummings did...... but surely he if anyone must know it's about the image not the facts?

Pianissimo
Bank Butt

Post by Pianissimo » Sun May 24, 2020 10:31 am

The government’s increasingly tetchy responses to critical articles is concerning. Statement this morning looked to be straight out of the Trump playbook
BBC news wrote:”Today they are writing more inaccurate stories including claims that Mr Cummings returned to Durham after returning to work in Downing Street on 14 April.

We will not waste our time answering a stream of false allegations about Mr Cummings from campaigning newspapers.”

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun May 24, 2020 11:28 am

Trinucleus wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:55 am
headshot wrote:

That attitude about going out is a complete misrepresentation of what Cummings did...... but surely he if anyone must know it's about the image not the facts?
How do you mean? Cummings travelled across the country while knowingly infectious. Absolutely criminal.

Nothing like going out to see your Nan while 99% sure none of you can be infectious, which is reckless and against the rules, but is far less likely to kill anyone.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun May 24, 2020 11:29 am

Pianissimo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:31 am
The government’s increasingly tetchy responses to critical articles is concerning. Statement this morning looked to be straight out of the Trump playbook
BBC news wrote:”Today they are writing more inaccurate stories including claims that Mr Cummings returned to Durham after returning to work in Downing Street on 14 April.

We will not waste our time answering a stream of false allegations about Mr Cummings from campaigning newspapers.”
They'll probably move to "it's true but so what?" when flat-out denial stops working in the face of more and more evidence.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Sun May 24, 2020 11:51 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 pm

This is because in some respects, journalism is like comedy. It’s all about timing.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Sun May 24, 2020 11:59 am

Trinucleus wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:55 am
headshot wrote:

It's not. It's totally understandable. Oh and by the way Cummings trip was done during lock down, not during the easing of lockdown.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Sun May 24, 2020 12:02 pm

headshot wrote:

I would love to do things by the end of August.

Have a family party

Go to Northern Ireland, via Ireland to see my mum.

Seems that if there is a second wave during this time, my well longed for plans are scuppered. Thanks to Cummings.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun May 24, 2020 12:10 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:59 am
Oh and by the way Cummings trip was done during lock down, not during the easing of lockdown.
There has been no change to that part of the rules. It was the same under the original partial lockdown as today's semi partial lockdown.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021