Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Re: New Phone Scam

Post by Stephanie » Wed May 27, 2020 6:57 am

basementer wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:07 am
Gfamily wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:19 pm
I think I may have mentioned the time the supervisor of the scammer called back to complain that I was very rude to the scammer.
I liked Stephanie's account of winding up a scammer that ended

Scammer: "Do you think I'm STUPID?"
Stephanie: "Yes, actually I do."
(Scammer hangs up)
I have had much fun over the years with Windows scammers. One of their supervisors told me off for being rude once. One hung up in despair after I asked too many questions. Longest time wasted was 40 minutes.

One windows scam caller proposed to me, because I have a "young voice".

Several when they get cross, switch to being aggressively sexual. One made the error of saying he wanted to f.ck me, so I explained that he was mistaken and clearly wanted to f.ck his own father, albeit in more graphic detail, which he seemed quite taken aback by.

I had a lot of fun using a sound machine, with sad trombone, the wrong answer from family fortunes and a fart being my preferred audio choices.

Sadly they've switched to robo calls these days, so my mocking days are over :(
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Wed May 27, 2020 7:17 am

Stephanie wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:57 am
basementer wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:07 am
Gfamily wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:19 pm
I think I may have mentioned the time the supervisor of the scammer called back to complain that I was very rude to the scammer.
I liked Stephanie's account of winding up a scammer that ended

Scammer: "Do you think I'm STUPID?"
Stephanie: "Yes, actually I do."
(Scammer hangs up)
I have had much fun over the years with Windows scammers. One of their supervisors told me off for being rude once. One hung up in despair after I asked too many questions. Longest time wasted was 40 minutes.

One windows scam caller proposed to me, because I have a "young voice".

Several when they get cross, switch to being aggressively sexual. One made the error of saying he wanted to f.ck me, so I explained that he was mistaken and clearly wanted to f.ck his own father, albeit in more graphic detail, which he seemed quite taken aback by.

I had a lot of fun using a sound machine, with sad trombone, the wrong answer from family fortunes and a fart being my preferred audio choices.

Sadly they've switched to robo calls these days, so my mocking days are over :(
I once had fun putting an Indian scammer "on hold" back in 2011, by putting the phone on the radio while Test Match Special was on. It was the test where Cook scored 290 odd. Against India.

He was none to pleased half an hour later.

Also, the sexual ones sound awful. Nobody should have to put up with that.

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Wed May 27, 2020 7:22 am

Almost 6 years ago I was involved in an accident when driving the wife’s car; the other driver at the traffic lights changed his mind about turning right and went straight on without bothering to look whether there was anyone on his left. The other insurance company paid out. For 4 years after we were getting calls from claims people about making a claim for personal injury, when told no one had been injured they said that doesn’t matter; the other drivers insurance company have put a potential liability on their books of £4000 for the possibility of further claims from the accident, as long as you are not too greedy they won’t contest the claim. I used to say this is fraud, their argument was you are entitled to the money to compensate you for the inconvenience. I recognised the names of some of the companies, they were solicitors. Whether the other insurer had put £4000 aside I have no idea but they obviously had access to every thing our insurers had about the accident.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed May 27, 2020 8:50 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:15 am
plebian wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:38 pm
I get loads of the you were in an accident ones, ...
I haven't had one for a long time, but have a suitable scenario anyone can use for it which I have not yet tried. Ask if there would be a big payout for getting seriously injured, is it bigger the more serious injury, and then finally admit that it was a fatal accident and that you're actually dead.

Another alternative is to ask if you can sue the owner for your injuries as it was a very powerful car. Eventually admit that you stole it.

For maximum hilarity, combine the two.
That last one was similar to what my then-sixteen year old son did.

Well it depends on how you think whether it was my fault. I think it was my sister.

Eventually he let slip that she was a three year old
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

gosling
Stargoon

Post by gosling » Wed May 27, 2020 9:53 am

Friend of mine likes to give them a lecture about why they think scamming is an acceptable way to make a living and what would their mum think. They mostly hang up, but one guy phoned back half an hour later to say she was right and he'd quit.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Wed May 27, 2020 10:07 am

Blackcountryboy wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:22 am
Almost 6 years ago I was involved in an accident when driving the wife’s car; the other driver at the traffic lights changed his mind about turning right and went straight on without bothering to look whether there was anyone on his left. The other insurance company paid out. For 4 years after we were getting calls from claims people about making a claim for personal injury, when told no one had been injured they said that doesn’t matter; the other drivers insurance company have put a potential liability on their books of £4000 for the possibility of further claims from the accident, as long as you are not too greedy they won’t contest the claim. I used to say this is fraud, their argument was you are entitled to the money to compensate you for the inconvenience. I recognised the names of some of the companies, they were solicitors. Whether the other insurer had put £4000 aside I have no idea but they obviously had access to every thing our insurers had about the accident.
This kind of crap is why car insurance is so expensive: It's free money. All you have to do is let us claim it for us, I mean for you. Just tell yourself you deserve compensation for the mental anguish, injured or not.

A car forum acquaintance got similarly pestered to make a personal injury claim after his parked car was struck with nobody in it. And the people doing this sh.t don't even think they're crooks. At worst they might say they're gaming the system in their client's best interests.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed May 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Just answer them in a foreign language. Any one will do and you don't even need to be very proficient in it.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Wed May 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:07 am
Blackcountryboy wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:22 am
This kind of crap is why car insurance is so expensive: It's free money. All you have to do is let us claim it for us, I mean for you. Just tell yourself you deserve compensation for the mental anguish, injured or not.

A car forum acquaintance got similarly pestered to make a personal injury claim after his parked car was struck with nobody in it. And the people doing this sh.t don't even think they're crooks. At worst they might say they're gaming the system in their client's best interests.
The staff association at work in the 80s sold insurance and when the rep came round I asked if the insurance would take effect from that day. He replied "do you want to claim for something?", implying he'd be willing to backdate it.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Wed May 27, 2020 6:44 pm

gosling wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:53 am
Friend of mine likes to give them a lecture about why they think scamming is an acceptable way to make a living and what would their mum think. They mostly hang up, but one guy phoned back half an hour later to say she was right and he'd quit.
This is the best possible response, if you aren't able to give the bastards a good long prison sentence. Like many elderly people, my father suffers from Mature-Onset Gullability, and has handed over money to these c.nts more than once. We ended up having to change his phone number thanks to one particularly persistent slimeball.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 am

Anyone had the oven cleaning ones? It starts with a recorded robot call advertising an oven cleaning service. The Robot is very persistent, I got lots of calls. The scam being that no one actually ever comes to clean your oven after you have paid.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Thu May 28, 2020 11:38 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 am
Anyone had the oven cleaning ones? It starts with a recorded robot call advertising an oven cleaning service. The Robot is very persistent, I got lots of calls. The scam being that no one actually ever comes to clean your oven after you have paid.
Is there a worse part of housework than oven cleaning?

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu May 28, 2020 11:40 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Why would anyone pay for that upfront? At the very least, you'd pay when they arrive at your door. You'd have to be as thick as f.ck to fall for that. Those fools should be parted from their money.

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am

tom p wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:40 am
Boustrophedon wrote:
Why would anyone pay for that upfront? At the very least, you'd pay when they arrive at your door. You'd have to be as thick as f.ck to fall for that. Those fools should be parted from their money.
Does that include people with dementia?

A few years ago a friend went to visit his dad, who had dementia, lived alone with Social Services support. When my friend arrived two men were helping his dad into a van. His dad explained these men had painted his garage door and they were taking him to the bank to draw out the money to pay for painting the garage door - £3000.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Thu May 28, 2020 12:12 pm

Blackcountryboy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am
tom p wrote:
Boustrophedon wrote:

A few years ago a friend went to visit his dad, who had dementia, lived alone with Social Services support. When my friend arrived two men were helping his dad into a van. His dad explained these men had painted his garage door and they were taking him to the bank to draw out the money to pay for painting the garage door - £3000.
Precisely. This goes back to what someone was saying earlier about scammers being obviously scammers to people like us as they want to weed us out and focus on the susceptible or vulnerable.

I had a call a few weeks ago that was just about plausible so I rang my bank to make sure it wasn't real to be on the safe side. Yes, I probably am feeling a bit vulnerable and isolated at the moment so it's easy to see how more vulnerable people can be taken in.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Thu May 28, 2020 12:54 pm

It doesn't even have to be full-blown dementia. Everyone gets more gullible as they get to old age.

That'll be you one day, Tom.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Thu May 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:54 pm
It doesn't even have to be full-blown dementia. Everyone gets more gullible as they get to old age.

That'll be you one day, Tom.
Exactly. I worry about my mum as she's never been the best at spotting woo or nonsense. Dad used to keep her on the straight and narrow about vaccines, wi-fi, etc, etc but he passed away a couple of years ago. So far, though, she's been doing pretty well - she's mentioned a few things to me that were clearly scammy and she'd spotted that about as quickly as I would have done. Her scam antennae do seem to have improved now that she has to rely on herself more, which is good. She did get part way through giving out her bank details on one occasion which, by her description, was a pretty convincing scam and I couldn't blame her, but even with that one, she pulled the plug before she'd given them enough to do any harm and was straight on the phone to her bank to make sure everything was safe.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu May 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Blackcountryboy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am
tom p wrote:
Boustrophedon wrote:

That's a different scam. That's bullying an old man after providing a service for a thieving price. Happened to my grandad 30-odd years ago. But paying upfront for a service where the person doing it has to come to your kitchen anyway, and doing so after receiving a robo call?
My mum has dementia. She got scammed last year by a bloke pretending he needed money to visit his kid, so I know what it's like to have a loved one tricked like that too, but there's a certain level of gullibility that is just unreal

border_reiver
Gray Pubic

Post by border_reiver » Sun May 31, 2020 9:05 pm

My mum gets a lot of computer related ones. They start with an automated message saying £600 has been withdrawn from your bank account. If you didn't do this, press1
She always hangs up but if I'm there I continue the call for the fun of it.
It's £600. In Manchester. Do you know anyone in Manchester?
No
Do you have a computer in the house?
No
A laptop?
No
Tablet?
No.
Well someone has accessed your Internet and withdrawn the money.
There is no Internet connection here.
Well someone has pretended it's your account and used your name.
That's not possible.
Argument continues, usually ending with me asking them why they think trying to defraud vulnerable elderly widows is a legitimate way to earn a living.

And they also claim to be BT technical support.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:05 am

border_reiver wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:05 pm
My mum gets a lot of computer related ones. They start with an automated message saying £600 has been withdrawn from your bank account. If you didn't do this, press1
She always hangs up but if I'm there I continue the call for the fun of it.
It's £600. In Manchester. Do you know anyone in Manchester?
No
Do you have a computer in the house?
No
A laptop?
No
Tablet?
No.
Well someone has accessed your Internet and withdrawn the money.
There is no Internet connection here.
Well someone has pretended it's your account and used your name.
That's not possible.
Argument continues, usually ending with me asking them why they think trying to defraud vulnerable elderly widows is a legitimate way to earn a living.

And they also claim to be BT technical support.
I spoke to someone at my bank about a call I got and he said for some reason they always say it's £600 and this particular scam has been around for a while. I suppose that's enough to be worried about but not more than most people would have in their account. My mum is 90 and not very savvy but generally if she gets a call like that she calls me to sort it out as she has opted out of anything to do with money since I got power of attorney.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 pm

My Facebook feed now looks like the nexus of a Venn diagram of c.nts.

"Copy and Share (dodgy) this new phone scam where scammers are impersonating Track and Trace (plausible but gnome logicky) under no circumstances should you co-operate with anyone claiming to be part of Track and Trace (c.ntish) here's a random un-connected South Asian woman to hate-at (pointlessly racist) who just happens to be in reality a student mid-wife and prominent Labour activist who acted heroically during the Grenfell blaze (libellous far-right cuntishness of the highest order)"

:|
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:20 pm

With TUI circling the gurgler* I thought it was wisest to request a cash refund for our cancelled holiday rather than gamble their credit note would be worth anything a year from now.

After a couple hours on the phone finally got through to someone. She couldn’t refund the money herself but in an unknown amount of time within the next week I should expect a random cold call from TUI and I should provide them with all my bank details.

Because there is no way that could possibly go wrong ... :|

*Prisoner’s Dilemma FTWL
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:12 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:11 pm
I got a call on my landline earlier:

"Hi, this is Tony from MI5, the Secret Service. Can I speak to Mrs Kxxx?'

First off, no one calls on my landline except my mum, which is why I have it.

Secondly I'm not a Mrs.

I really wanted to string him along to see what he was after but the line was so terrible I could barely hear him.

Has anyone else had this scam call? I'd love to know what he wanted and how he was going to make me believe he was MI5.
Do you think it was this Tony?

Tony and Control - Lie Detector
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

touchingcloth
Fuzzable

Post by touchingcloth » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:44 pm

Them: Do you have any debts?
Me: Yes.
Them: How much in total?
Me: About £10,000.
Them: Wow! How many separate loans?
Me: One.
Them: Okay. Do you find it a financial burden paying that loan back each month?
Me: Yep.
Them: Would you like to have a little more spare money each month?
Me: Absolutely I would.
Them: Great! We can help you spread that loan into smaller monthly payments.
Me: Great!
Them: Who is the loan with? A bank? Wayfair? Payday loans?
Me: The Student Loans Co.
Them:...
Me:...
Them:*click*

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:21 pm

Just a call from "Right to Claim" on a with-held number. Apparantly I can reclaim £4,981 in bank charges. Normally I'd've strung him along for a bit but the line was so bad I couldn't be arsed and just told him to f.ck off.

Number with-held.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:30 am

JQH wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:21 pm
Just a call from "Right to Claim" on a with-held number. Apparantly I can reclaim £4,981 in bank charges. Normally I'd've strung him along for a bit but the line was so bad I couldn't be arsed and just told him to f.ck off.

Number with-held.
I've noticed that the line is often terrible with scam calls, it's a good excuse to hang up if you're not in the mood to string them along or swear at them (my preferred option).