Urgent Supported Needed for Dr Jenner's House Museum

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Urgent Supported Needed for Dr Jenner's House Museum

Post by Fishnut » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:44 pm

Dr Jenner's House Museum and Garden is in dire financial straits due to their closure as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. They need £1,300 by tomorrow to be able to stay afloat. It's a lovely little museum celebrating the legacy of Jenner's work and the importance of vaccinations and it would be such a shame if it was forced to permanently close as a result of a disease for which our best hope of fighting is through vaccination. If you've got any spare cash please consider sending some their way. I know there's a lot of organisations asking for help at the moment but given the numerous discussions of the benefits of vaccines here and in the old place I'm hopeful that you'll be a receptive audience.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: Urgent Supported Needed for Dr Jenner's House Museum

Post by Gfamily » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:04 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:44 pm
Dr Jenner's House Museum and Garden is in dire financial straits due to their closure as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. They need £1,300 by tomorrow to be able to stay afloat. It's a lovely little museum celebrating the legacy of Jenner's work and the importance of vaccinations and it would be such a shame if it was forced to permanently close as a result of a disease for which our best hope of fighting is through vaccination. If you've got any spare cash please consider sending some their way. I know there's a lot of organisations asking for help at the moment but given the numerous discussions of the benefits of vaccines here and in the old place I'm hopeful that you'll be a receptive audience.
Good work, target met - but worth promoting more widely to help secure its future
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:12 pm

It's a good little museum.

Berkeley is a great day out - or a weekend. There's the castle which is good so long as you stay clear of pokers, a church with a separate tower, views of the old Magnox station (not sure what that looks like now, entombed?), interesting walks along the Severn, and I seem to remember a butterfly house as well. A couple of miles away there's the ship canal and a ship's graveyard, then there's Slimbridge,
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:43 pm

Bunged them some money

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:53 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:43 pm
Bunged them some money
It's one that deserves to go viral...
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:44 pm
Thanks for posting that. It really is an important place, as well as a great day out

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:01 pm

The target has been officially met and the museum is safe for another year. Embarrassingly, though I only live about 45 minutes away, I've never been. So when it reopens I shall rectify that.

I second lpm's recommendation of Berkeley Castle. It's excellent. I visited as part of a school trip when I was very young and the dungeon, the skull in the alcove, and sugar cone in the kitchen have all stuck firmly in my memory.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:09 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:01 pm
The target has been officially met and the museum is safe for another year. Embarrassingly, though I only live about 45 minutes away, I've never been. So when it reopens I shall rectify that.

I second lpm's recommendation of Berkeley Castle. It's excellent. I visited as part of a school trip when I was very young and the dungeon, the skull in the alcove, and sugar cone in the kitchen have all stuck firmly in my memory.
Don't forget the oubliette

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:13 pm

tom p wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:09 pm
Fishnut wrote:

:lol:

I couldn't remember if it's an oubliette or a dungeon, but I remember the hole in the floor near the skull that terrified me (the hole, the skull was cool) when I was about 7. I'm sure that in my memories it was uncovered and just waiting for poor innocent school girls to fall in and never be seen again.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:19 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:13 pm
tom p wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:09 pm
Fishnut wrote:

:lol:

I couldn't remember if it's an oubliette or a dungeon, but I remember the hole in the floor near the skull that terrified me (the hole, the skull was cool) when I was about 7. I'm sure that in my memories it was uncovered and just waiting for poor innocent school girls to fall in and never be seen again.
They have both. I dunno about when you were 7, but by about 2016ish, when I went, there were bars over the oubliette & they looked like they'd been there a long time.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:13 pm

tom p wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:19 pm
I dunno about when you were 7, but by about 2016ish, when I went, there were bars over the oubliette & they looked like they'd been there a long time.
I'm pretty sure even the rudimentary health and safety of the 1980s would have required bars for it, but they would never have been sufficient for an overactive imagination.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:24 am

Fishnut wrote:

I went on a school trip to the Castle and Museum when I was at junior school. For some reason I remember the sugar cone too even though it was about 300 years ago I was there. We weren't spared the details on the death of Edward II although I suspect the poker element came from other kids rather than the tour guide.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:27 pm

The museum is still at risk unfortunately. It's closed until February and is unsure how it can open while enforcing social distancing due to its small size.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:56 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:27 pm
The museum is still at risk unfortunately. It's closed until February and is unsure how it can open while enforcing social distancing due to its small size.
I've just had an email saying that the house is planning to re-open on 29th June. Pre-booking will be required.
Book here
https://dr-jenners-house.arttickets.org.uk/
Meta? I'd say so!

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:32 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:56 pm
I've just had an email saying that the house is planning to re-open on 29th June. Pre-booking will be required.
Book here
https://dr-jenners-house.arttickets.org.uk/
Wonder if you'll need a vaccine passport for admission?

It's a venue that you really don't want featuring in test-and-trace conversations.