Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Re: Starmer sacks Long-Bailey

Post by Martin Y » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:23 pm

secret squirrel wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:09 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:39 pm
It's a gift to anyone who wants to bash Labour and Labour is not going to attract anyone back by insinuating that at anyone who points out how f.cking stupid that is must either be a disingenuous tory or an idiot. Good work.
It's a gift to people who want to bash the Labour party because said idiots fall over themselves to agree with them that Long-Bailey approvingly tweeting an interview were Peake says something a bit silly about Israel is exactly the kind of terrible antisemitism that Labour is notorious for.
Keep going. I'm starting to think about voting for Long-Bailey. Imply I'm the idiot here some more.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:15 pm

secret squirrel wrote:
Martin Y wrote:
It's a gift to anyone who wants to bash Labour and Labour is not going to attract anyone back by insinuating that at anyone who points out how f.cking stupid that is must either be a disingenuous tory or an idiot. Good work.
It's a gift to people who want to bash the Labour party because said idiots fall over themselves to agree with them that Long-Bailey approvingly tweeting an interview were Peake says something a bit silly about Israel is exactly the kind of terrible antisemitism that Labour is notorious for.
Do you not think that linking Israel to a brutal murder in the US is dog-whistle anti semitism?
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:01 pm

JQH wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:15 pm
secret squirrel wrote:
Martin Y wrote:
Do you not think that linking Israel to a brutal murder in the US is dog-whistle anti semitism?
It looks like it to me, which is the problem, but doesn't the term dog-whistle imply there was an intention to be Antisemitic? I'm not sure that was there. There are many on the left who have good intentions when criticising Israel (and there is much to criticise), but don't seem to know how to without coming out with something that a genuine Antisemite might say*. While both are offensive, there must be a difference between Antisemitism through hate and Antisemitism through ignorance.

*There seem to be actual Antisemites on the left too, mind.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:49 am

Haaretz
Argument over what constitutes antisemitism and who can be described as an antisemite consumed much of the four and a half years of Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership of the British Labour Party. This week, it transpired that those arguments are far from over. But something has changed in the party. On Thursday the new leader, former human rights lawyer Keir Starmer, stated unequivocally that claiming that American police had learned from their Israeli counterparts how to put a knee on someone’s neck is “an antisemitic conspiracy theory.”
Recommended. Considerably more at link.
I believe one can read a number of views and report from this very good paper before being asked to subscribe.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:13 pm

JQH wrote:
secret squirrel wrote:
Martin Y wrote:
How about this beautiful reply to me on Twitter:
Antisemitism.PNG
Antisemitism.PNG (78.77 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
Admittedly that is a more extreme example, but there are plenty of examples that are only slightly more subtle
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Bewildered
Fuzzable

Post by Bewildered » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:09 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:13 pm
JQH wrote:
secret squirrel wrote:

Antisemitism.PNG

Admittedly that is a more extreme example, but there are plenty of examples that are only slightly more subtle
Well yes that tweet at you is clearly in the realm of anti-Semitic conspiracy theory that is problem in the left. Or doesn’t make original quote any more or less of a clear cut example though.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:22 pm

jimbob wrote:

Antisemitism.PNG

FFS. This is why Labour can't have nice things. Unless it was a joke. But I can't tell if it was a joke. And thus the circle is complete.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:14 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:22 pm
jimbob wrote:

Antisemitism.PNG

FFS. This is why Labour can't have nice things. Unless it was a joke. But I can't tell if it was a joke. And thus the circle is complete.
Not a joke (nor would it have been funny). Look at some of the left-wing twitter accounts - say underneath John Macdonald's account.

Lots of people liking this

https://twitter.com/Mediter11034473/sta ... 3054282753

Also with an interesting misspelling of metre.
Never ever give a nanometer to a Zionist, it will be a mile before you blink.

border_reiver
Gray Pubic

Post by border_reiver » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:14 pm

Long-Bailey didn't just retweet Peake's article, she made a positive comment. She then tried to claim her affirmation didn't mean she agreed with all of it.
The article was very much 'damning with faint praise' of her current boss.
It also accused people who felt unable to vote for Corbyn (including Jewish people one assumes) of being effectively class traitors.
Long-Bailey isn't a random Instagram influencer, she's a politician. There was no need for her to comment at all.
That she did shows a lack of intelligence and political awareness. I'd have sacked her for being thick aside from anything else

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:45 pm

border_reiver wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:14 pm
Long-Bailey didn't just retweet Peake's article, she made a positive comment. She then tried to claim her affirmation didn't mean she agreed with all of it.
It also accused people who felt unable to vote for Corbyn (including Jewish people one assumes) of being effectively class traitors.
Long-Bailey isn't a random Instagram influencer, she's a politician. There was no need for her to comment at all.
That she did shows a lack of intelligence and political awareness. I'd have sacked her for being thick aside from anything else
Exactly, even if it was completely innocent, she'd embarrassed Labour.

Johnson must have been wishing he'd been facing her rather than Starmer

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:34 pm

Starmer is 2 points ahead of Johnson in PM preference polls.

He’s doing something right...

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:43 pm

border_reiver wrote:
She's not even just a politician, but the Shadow Secretary of State for Education. During a time when the Tory party are damaging education during a pandemic.

Adept
Fleury White

Post by Adept » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:08 am

dyqik wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:43 pm
border_reiver wrote:
She's not even just a politician, but the Shadow Secretary of State for Education. During a time when the Tory party are damaging education during a pandemic.
This is very much my thinking - Long-Bailey showed terrible judgement and lack of awareness around how people would react to her endorsment of Peake, and that alone is pretty shocking for someone in a senior shadow cabinet position. Anti-semitism allegations were an open goal for the Tories when Corbyn was leader, and the obvious distress that it caused Jewish labour MPs and supporters alone makes Corbyn's mealy-mouthed handling of it seem all the more reprehensible.

Chaminda Jayanetti wrote a really good (imo anyhow) column that says all this far more eloquently than I will ever be able to: https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-anal ... ut-winning.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:17 am

dyqik wrote:
Indeed.
In this case an actor she admires has revealed an opinion that the politician then embraces.

Is this a way of studying and learning she would recommend to UK students if she had become Secretary of Education?
"Find a presenter you really like, an absolute diamond.
Accept the Diamond Revelation as Truth".

Theory of Truth and learning? Unbelievable.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:22 am

Adept wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:08 am
dyqik wrote:
border_reiver wrote:
This is very much my thinking - Long-Bailey showed terrible judgement and lack of awareness around how people would react to her endorsment of Peake, and that alone is pretty shocking for someone in a senior shadow cabinet position. Anti-semitism allegations were an open goal for the Tories when Corbyn was leader, and the obvious distress that it caused Jewish labour MPs and supporters alone makes Corbyn's mealy-mouthed handling of it seem all the more reprehensible.

Chaminda Jayanetti wrote a really good (imo anyhow) column that says all this far more eloquently than I will ever be able to: https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-anal ... ut-winning.
Yup, good article thanks.

If you want some toxic attitude look at how the far left had already been filling up Starmer's Twitter account before Long-Bailey's tweet. Lots of Israeli flags and other insinuations of Zionist conspiracies.