Fishnut
After Pie

Re: COVID-19 Heroes and Villains

Post by Fishnut » Tue May 12, 2020 12:13 pm

headshot wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:56 am
Fishnut wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:02 am
My MP feels that the whole world has overreacted.

He does at least set foot in the constituency (he likes doing photo ops with local groups) and he even attended the hustings for the last election though he really looked like he couldn't be bothered. Still won over 50% of the vote :roll:
Oh wow. Your MP is disgraced former Defence Secretary Liam Fox??
Yep. He's been my MP for a massive proportion of my life and the fact he goes by Doctor meant it was only embarrassingly recently that I realised that the 'surgery' that would get advertised in the local paper every now and then wasn't him treating patients but seeing constituents. I did once check he was still registered with the GMC and he is, but I think it's just so he can keep using the Dr title. I wouldn't trust him to treat people now, particularly as he seems to have no understanding of informed consent.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue May 12, 2020 12:32 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:13 pm
headshot wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:56 am
Fishnut wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:02 am
My MP feels that the whole world has overreacted.

He does at least set foot in the constituency (he likes doing photo ops with local groups) and he even attended the hustings for the last election though he really looked like he couldn't be bothered. Still won over 50% of the vote :roll:
Oh wow. Your MP is disgraced former Defence Secretary Liam Fox??
Yep. He's been my MP for a massive proportion of my life and the fact he goes by Doctor meant it was only embarrassingly recently that I realised that the 'surgery' that would get advertised in the local paper every now and then wasn't him treating patients but seeing constituents. I did once check he was still registered with the GMC and he is, but I think it's just so he can keep using the Dr title. I wouldn't trust him to treat people now, particularly as he seems to have no understanding of informed consent.
I didn't realise he was still registered with the GMC

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue May 12, 2020 12:39 pm

tom p wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:32 pm
I didn't realise he was still registered with the GMC
Just checked and he's registered without a licence to practice. It's possible last time I checked he was as he changed to no licence in 2015.

Rosewind
Gray Pubic

Post by Rosewind » Wed May 13, 2020 1:17 pm

Excellent conclusion to the Gemma O’Doherty case:

“Rather, in court, the applicants gave unsubstantiated opinions, speeches, engaged in empty rhetoric and sought to draw an historical parallel with Nazi Germany. Such a parallel is both absurd and offensive. Unsubstantiated opinions, speeches, rhetoric and a bogus historical parallel are not substitutes for facts.”

Go Justice Meenan!

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news ... eneral.pdf

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed May 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Rosewind wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:17 pm
Excellent conclusion to the Gemma O’Doherty case:

“Rather, in court, the applicants gave unsubstantiated opinions, speeches, engaged in empty rhetoric and sought to draw an historical parallel with Nazi Germany. Such a parallel is both absurd and offensive. Unsubstantiated opinions, speeches, rhetoric and a bogus historical parallel are not substitutes for facts.”

Go Justice Meenan!

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news ... eneral.pdf
And yet they vow to fight on.... sigh...

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sun May 17, 2020 4:16 pm

bjn wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:02 pm
The despicable tw.t who did this.
Good news. They may have found him
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed May 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Brian Kemp, governor of Georgia.

In a bid (to impress Trump?) to open the state on his timeline, he/his officialshave manipulated the COVID figures to show a downward trend by - get this - swapping the dates about. They then said that the graph had been designed to show something else, but that's not what they'd been using for.

In a rare display of sanity - two churches who had reopened when he relaxed the stay-at-home orders have now shut again due to additional positive results...

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed May 20, 2020 10:01 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:16 pm
bjn wrote:
If they have the right person, that seems like remarkable detective work. I wonder if they can charge him with much more than common assault, though.
Something something hammer something something nail

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed May 20, 2020 10:05 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:31 pm
Brian Kemp, governor of Georgia.

In a bid (to impress Trump?) to open the state on his timeline, he/his officialshave manipulated the COVID figures to show a downward trend by - get this - swapping the dates about. They then said that the graph had been designed to show something else, but that's not what they'd been using for.

In a rare display of sanity - two churches who had reopened when he relaxed the stay-at-home orders have now shut again due to additional positive results...
See also the bad graphs thread

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed May 20, 2020 11:29 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:01 pm
tenchboy wrote:
bjn wrote:
If they have the right person, that seems like remarkable detective work. I wonder if they can charge him with much more than common assault, though.
I mean, he deliberately infected somebody with a disease known to be potentially fatal. It's analogous to cases where people have failed to disclose their HIV status and so on. It should be treated a lot more seriously than a simple spit, given that he knew he had it.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
tenchboy wrote:

That depends on what he says when questioned. If he says that he intended to do serious harm (or that can be shown by other means, which I think is unlikely in the circumstances), then it's murder. Otherwise manslaughter.

Matatouille
Fuzzable

Post by Matatouille » Thu May 21, 2020 6:02 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:29 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
tenchboy wrote:

I mean, he deliberately infected somebody with a disease known to be potentially fatal. It's analogous to cases where people have failed to disclose their HIV status and so on. It should be treated a lot more seriously than a simple spit, if he knew he had it.
FTFY. They'll have to demonstrate that he did know he had it (or had grounds to believe he did) on the date of the incident. Otherwise a defence of "but I was just threatening Covid because I'm a bullying prick, I didn't actually think I had it" is probably viable to get back to the lesser charge. Especially since the victim worked in a public-facing role where this was probably far from the only plausible route of infection if the defence wishes to quibble.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu May 21, 2020 6:50 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
sTeamTraen wrote:
tenchboy wrote:

I mean, he deliberately infected somebody with a disease known to be potentially fatal. It's analogous to cases where people have failed to disclose their HIV status and so on. It should be treated a lot more seriously than a simple spit, given that he knew he had it.
You would need to prove that it was actually his 'covid' that infected her, depending on the charge you are aiming for. If she was working on a public concourse or otherwise generally not self-isolating, that could be difficult to prove to the criminal standard.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 pm

Fair enough.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed May 27, 2020 2:44 pm

When even Dublin Airport twitter account is mocking your special advisor...

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/statu ... 67302?s=20
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Wed May 27, 2020 4:17 pm

jimbob wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:44 pm
When even Dublin Airport twitter account is mocking your special advisor...

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/statu ... 67302?s=20
Oh. Curious. That's just like that plane off of the What Are You Watching thread. https://www.flightradar24.com/RVR7RX/2478e8f4

If you pick any of its recent flights, it heads off somewhere then spends hours flying back and forth on about a 10km track, either E-W or N-S, before flying home again. I wonder what they're mapping and for whom, and especially why whatever kind of survey it is takes so many passes over the same area.

I mean, if the next gen Google earth is going to include hand-painted watercolours of each town, then I guess it could take that long. But it seems unlikely.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Wed May 27, 2020 6:32 pm

Obviously I don't know about these particular surveys, but one example of the data that can be collected is high-resolution topographic data from Lidar: I think you can get altitudes to 1 cm accuracy on a 10 cm grid or something ridiculous like that. Uses might be hydrology/drainage, line-of-sight modelling for visual impacts or noise propagation models, tracing buried utility lines, probably loads of stuff if you're imaginative and have the money.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri May 29, 2020 1:51 pm

Um this looks disproportionate for searching a compliant person

https://twitter.com/rafael_flaks/status ... 74178?s=20
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun May 31, 2020 11:45 am

discovolante wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:50 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
sTeamTraen wrote:

You would need to prove that it was actually his 'covid' that infected her, depending on the charge you are aiming for. If she was working on a public concourse or otherwise generally not self-isolating, that could be difficult to prove to the criminal standard.
So....yeah :?

There are appeals to write to the head of her union and the railway company, apparently she and other workers asked for additional protection but didn't get it, and she also asked to work away from the concourse but didn't get that either. I can dig up email addresses later if anyone is interested.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:56 pm

A true hero who raised many people's spirits: pilot Rich Goodwin draws smiley faces above Gloucestershire and Bristol.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:37 pm

Sooo many pictures on our local Facebook page!

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:04 pm

Interview with the owner of the Cheddar care home where staff are self-isolating along with the residents:

https://youtu.be/uvWQZxADiCI
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Pride hero, but enabled by Covid lockdown

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-its-down

My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!