Is "master - slave" admissible as technical terms?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
gosling
Stargoon

Re: Is "master - slave" admissible as technical terms?

Post by gosling » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:33 pm

I work in IT for a science publisher and we have a few "slave" instances of MarkLogic. I've always felt uncomfortable with the term (and I'm white) but have never been in a position to do anything about it. I don't know if anyone has commented on it now.

Conversely, I haven't had a problem with GitHub using "master" for their main branch, probably because they don't use "slaves" for other branches. I've heard they're going to switch to using "main" instead.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:09 pm

In recording you have a master and a copy, which feels fine. The word master isn’t a problem without the word slave next to it.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 am

I've more usually seen grandfather-father-son (which is, admittedly, sexist) for computer back-up systems.

I've not seen many cases of master-slave in that context, or in computer systems where you have a main server or terminal and 'subordinate' servers or terminals. I think the last computer I heard of as 'slave' was on Blake's 7.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:58 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:00 pm
We're not necessarily the best people to judge the offensiveness or not of the terms here.
You're right - there probably aren't many Slavs here.

gosling
Stargoon

Post by gosling » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:04 am

Martin_B wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 am
I've more usually seen grandfather-father-son (which is, admittedly, sexist) for computer back-up systems.

I've not seen many cases of master-slave in that context, or in computer systems where you have a main server or terminal and 'subordinate' servers or terminals. I think the last computer I heard of as 'slave' was on Blake's 7.
Ooh, yes, we could use XML-style parent-child (or ancestor/descendant) terms.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:44 pm

gosling wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:04 am
Martin_B wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 am

Ooh, yes, we could use XML-style parent-child (or ancestor/descendant) terms.
That's often a somewhat different kind of relationship - hereditary properties and attributes rather than command and control based or content mirroring based.

Source and mirror are common in caches and the like. I'd use object and image when doing optics, but that's confusing in computers.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:08 pm

Pokes thread gingerly with bargepole.
Nope.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:26 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
I've skipped over a few posts on this thread, but it's always worth remembering the general balance of whiteness on the forum. We're not necessarily the best people to judge the offensiveness or not of the terms here.
What has whiteness got to do with it?

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:31 am

dyqik wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:44 pm
Source and mirror are common in caches and the like. I'd use object and image when doing optics, but that's confusing in computers.
GIven system A and system B whereby system B does only and exactly what is dictated by system A, this seems a perfectly good match to the terms "master" and "slave".

A mirror is a specific type of slave which carries an exact copy of its master. However content could be distributed via a master/slave relationship in other ways, such as where the master keeps only an index and directs slaves to hold and serve content. It's good to use a more specific term when it applies.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:19 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:26 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
I've skipped over a few posts on this thread, but it's always worth remembering the general balance of whiteness on the forum. We're not necessarily the best people to judge the offensiveness or not of the terms here.
What has whiteness got to do with it?
See the history of slavery in the British Empire for a f.cking big clue.

And, kind of related, what does the team think about male-female connectors?
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:47 am

JQH wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:19 am
... And, kind of related, what does the team think about male-female connectors?
I'm not sensing any uncomfortable power relationship between plugs and sockets. So to speak.

About the only trouble I find is trying to decide what's a plug/male and what's a socket/female when there are so many series of connectors with weird and wonderful contacts and shrouding construction making it near impossible to be clear which of a mating pair you mean.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 am

JQH wrote:
I've always thought it a bit weird. Not for 'woke' reasons, but just…it's basically calling them 'penis' and 'vagina' connectors, which seems pretty childish. Like, is that really the best nomenclature we can come up with?

"Insert the 3.5 mm audio penis into the 3.5 mm vagina" - ridiculous.

I'm not sure what I'd suggest as an alternative, though. 'Penis' and 'anus' would remove the heteronormativity and potential reference to male-female power dynamics, but is still a bit unnecessarily sexualised.

'Intromittent' and 'receptive'? 'Innie' and 'outie'?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:49 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:08 pm
Pokes thread gingerly with bargepole.
Nope.
Don?
Nod.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 am
JQH wrote:
I've always thought it a bit weird. Not for 'woke' reasons, but just…it's basically calling them 'penis' and 'vagina' connectors, which seems pretty childish. Like, is that really the best nomenclature we can come up with?

I'm not sure what I'd suggest as an alternative, though. 'Penis' and 'anus' would remove the heteronormativity and potential reference to male-female power dynamics, but is still a bit unnecessarily sexualised.

I guess it's a bit puerile if it's not familiar terminology, but at least the penis/vagina analogy is simple.

I don't have a problem with just using plug and socket except unfortunately in common parlance a "plug" is any connector on the end of a cable and "socket" is any fixed connector, no matter which way round the pins work, so there's more scope for confusion than if you use terms non-technical people don't use.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:28 am

Male-female as a technical term is only weird if you have hang-ups about sex. Whatever you call them will become a possible euphemism in any case, just as penis and vagina originally were.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:51 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 am
JQH wrote:

Back when I was learning the terminology one of the alternatives was insert the jack into the jack plug/socket. Because PO type audio connectors (similar to but not the same as 1/4” TRS connectors) were always called Jacks in the area of telly I was in.

And the plugs usually had double innering (ooer missus).

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:03 am

individualmember wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:51 am
Back when I was learning the terminology one of the alternatives was insert the jack into the jack plug/socket. Because PO type audio connectors (similar to but not the same as 1/4” TRS connectors) were always called Jacks in the area of telly I was in.

Jack and socket do seem unambiguous. Plug already gets used as a verb, and there's a bit of ambiguity as Martin says, along with its other slang uses - so "plug the jack into the socket" seems good enough.
Grumble wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:28 am
Male-female as a technical term is only weird if you have hang-ups about sex. Whatever you call them will become a possible euphemism in any case, just as penis and vagina originally were.
I guess it could become a euphemism at some point, though electric plugs and sockets have been around for decades already without becoming commonly sexualised. But I think that's a different question to adopting terminology that was initially used solely to refer to sex.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:31 pm

Speaking of ambiguity, with headphone jacks, the jack is actually the socket and the jackplug is what goes into it.

But everyone calls jackplugs "jacks" for short. So, no scope for confusion there.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:11 pm

Grumble wrote:
Beat me to it... including going back to the original euphemism
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:47 pm

Ah, the ever-ascending hierarchy of euphemisms, where each one eventually becomes too uncomfortable to use and has to be paved over with an even vaguer one.

We're amused by people too prudish to use the same word as us for place-you-go-for-a-sh.t, but the word we use is a euphemism and so are all the others you can think of that don't come straight out of Viz.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:52 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:47 pm
Ah, the ever-ascending hierarchy of euphemisms, where each one eventually becomes too uncomfortable to use and has to be paved over with an even vaguer one.

We're amused by people too prudish to use the same word as us for place-you-go-for-a-sh.t, but the word we use is a euphemism and so are all the others you can think of that don't come straight out of Viz.
For some reason Billy Connolly's comment about Mary Whitehouse came to mind:

Spoiler:
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 pm

Millennie Al wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:31 am
dyqik wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:44 pm
GIven system A and system B whereby system B does only and exactly what is dictated by system A, this seems a perfectly good match to the terms "master" and "slave".
This just isn't true. You obviously don't know much about slavery.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:47 pm

If you used the word "toilet" now, nobody would think you were referring to a small towel or to the process of getting ready in general.

Words have etymologies.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:45 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:03 am
individualmember wrote:

Jack and socket do seem unambiguous. Plug already gets used as a verb, and there's a bit of ambiguity as Martin says, along with its other slang uses - so "plug the jack into the socket" seems good enough.
Grumble wrote:
I guess it could become a euphemism at some point, though electric plugs and sockets have been around for decades already without becoming commonly sexualised. But I think that's a different question to adopting terminology that was initially used solely to refer to sex.
What about connectors which are the other way around at each end of the cable, plug and socket isn’t enough for XLR connectors

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:41 pm

individualmember wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:45 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:03 am
individualmember wrote:

Grumble wrote:
What about connectors which are the other way around at each end of the cable, plug and socket isn’t enough for XLR connectors

I'm accustomed to just talking about RCAs, XLRs, BNCs, Toslink and the like. It always follows that a plug needs to go into a socket, otherwise stuff doesn't work...
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk