Apply common sense

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Gfamily
Light of Blast

Apply common sense

Post by Gfamily » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:03 pm

I look forward to Gove removing UK speed limits and drink driving laws on the basis that "he trusts people's common sense"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53381000
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

TimW
Catbabel

Re: Apply common sense

Post by TimW » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:44 am

I guess that the govt don't want to legislate because of the possible risks. It's not their fault if people act spontaneously and get hit by the downside.
ECDC wrote:There is a risk that improper removal of the face mask, handling of a contaminated face mask or an
increased tendency to touch the face while wearing a face mask by healthy persons might actually
increase the risk of transmission.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:20 am

TimW wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:44 am
I guess that the govt don't want to legislate because of the possible risks. It's not their fault if people act spontaneously and get hit by the downside.
ECDC wrote:There is a risk that improper removal of the face mask, handling of a contaminated face mask or an
increased tendency to touch the face while wearing a face mask by healthy persons might actually
The thing is that this isn't a big risk for shops and other places where you interact with the general public, as you tend not to touch the same things as other people that often (pin pads, maybe door handles), while you will definitely pass within sneeze and droplet range of others. PIN pads are at risk from sneezes and droplets anyway, as they are in front of you as your purchases are rung up, so that seems less of a difference anyway. Door handles should be being sanitized regularly, and hand sanitizer applied after using them. Individual goods on shelves are less likely to have been recently touched.

It's probably a different balance for workplaces and the like, though, but we have mask orders in place for using shared spaces at work.

The places in the US that are seeing the best control of CoVID-19 have mandatory mask orders in place.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:17 pm

TimW wrote:
I expect it's because they are actually lazy cowards.

People who don't actually want to wear masks can often find but akshully reasons why they shouldn't (as if they aren't small corrections to the overall benefit of wearing them in almost all situations) just like seatbelts and airbags cause people to drive more dangerously and actually I drive better when I'm drunk.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:54 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:02 pm

Very much mirroring the start of lockdown, where people ended up telling the government what to do, i.e. lockdown sooner rather than later.

Trying to take the most favourable view, you could try and claim this is direct democracy in action. But then again, it shows how useless and witless the government is...

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:35 pm

Only 3 months behind Massachusetts, NY, etc.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:39 pm

Only 4 months behind Portugal.

Used to be 1 month behind Italy, but they've really left UK in the dust now.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:19 am

shpalman wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:17 pm
TimW wrote:

People who don't actually want to wear masks can often find but akshully reasons why they shouldn't (as if they aren't small corrections to the overall benefit of wearing them in almost all situations) just like seatbelts and airbags cause people to drive more dangerously and actually I drive better when I'm drunk.
I was thinking similar thoughts - particularly of the motorcyclists 40 years ago who objected to wearing crash helmets.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

EllyCat
Buzzberry

Post by EllyCat » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:51 pm

JQH wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:19 am
shpalman wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:17 pm
TimW wrote:

I was thinking similar thoughts - particularly of the motorcyclists 40 years ago who objected to wearing crash helmets.
But if you die of COVID on a ventilator I doubt you can be used for organ donations...

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:22 pm

Don't worry there are lots of motorcyclists getting themselves killed on the roads around here in the traditional way.

More limitations in their mental capacity to simultaneously retain multiple pieces of information in working memory for rational decision making:
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/polit ... les/14/07/
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 pm

I do wonder if the people who 'refuse to be told what to do' stop at red traffic lights....

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:39 am

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:03 pm
I look forward to Gove removing UK speed limits and drink driving laws on the basis that "he trusts people's common sense"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53381000
I've had enough of Matt Hancock bringing his ukelele to interviews
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:22 am

He's a minister, so that's probably a statutory instrument.