Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:21 pm

jimbob wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:13 pm
dyqik wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:59 pm
jimbob wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:26 pm

By November? Will he be able to consider that?

Of course his decline does mean that the senior GOP must be having to think what to do and when they can dump him. Dumping him too early could be difficult for them, as he still has rabid idiots in the party. Dumping him too late would also be a disaster.

And it's entirely self-inflicted.
It's possible they've already passed the "too late" point.
Yes, it's also possible that the too-late point is before the too-early to not ruin ones political career by stabbing our "intensely masculine" leader in the back.

Also what happens if a candidate drops out or dies after the ballot has been finalised in every state?
"Finalized" is a bit loose. The Republican Party can change their nominee a lot later than a new candidate can file to run in most states. Of course, there's a window between ballots going to the printer and being distributed for postal voting, and the actual election day where that's absolutely impossible in states with mail-in voting (which is a lot of them this year) and/or paper ballots.

But votes for a dead Presidential candidate would usually be allocated to the VP on the ballot, I think. But possibly not everywhere.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:00 pm

What did Trump just post?

1) A promotion of Goya beans

2) "I am doubling all payments sent to my Bitcoin address below. You send $1,000, I send you back $2,000".

Take a guess!
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:17 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:00 pm
What did Trump just post?

1) A promotion of Goya beans

2) "I am doubling all payments sent to my Bitcoin address below. You send $1,000, I send you back $2,000".

Take a guess!
Both?

(I know why 1) is there)

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:42 am

Just think, you successfully break into masses of celebrity accounts, and you tweet that level of f.cking garbage. So much opportunity, so much waste.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:44 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:42 am
Just think, you successfully break into masses of celebrity accounts, and you tweet that level of f.cking garbage. So much opportunity, so much waste.
Apparently the scammer managed to amass 11BTC or around 100k meaning around a hundred people fell for it. :shock:
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:31 am

Little waster wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:44 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:42 am
Apparently the scammer managed to amass 11BTC or around 100k meaning around a hundred people fell for it. :shock:
... well if they want to give their Dunning-Krugerrands away...
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:47 am

Meanwhile Rush Limbaugh has a novel solution.

"Something something his liver with some Goya beans and a nice Chianti."

Just in case this post gets unearthed by future historians trying to piece together how the Dark Millennia occurred, can I just summarise the current situation for them to avoid any confusion or debate?

Prominent Republicans are bitterly opposed to wearing masks to prevent the spread of a deadly virus because "freedom" apparently, while at the same time berating the public for refusing to adapt to the "new normal" by considering cannibalism ... to a 40% approval rating.

What a glorious time to be alive.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:53 am

Yeah, picked a really great example of stoicism in the face of adversity there...

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:15 am

Those photos advertising beans are hilarious https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53429797

Imagine the number of people who must have been involved in bringing a selection of tinned beans and spreading them out on the desk in the oval office.

Ivanka looking way less pro-bean than her father.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:42 am

Surely that's misuse of public office or the suchlike? But Trump just doubles down and the WH press team just admonish anyone who questions it.
As an employee of the US government, Ms Trump's comments may violate ethics rules which prohibit the use of public office to endorse products or bolster personal business interests.

Walter Shaub, a former director of the US Office of Government Ethics (OGE), wrote in a series of tweets that Ms Trump's tweet was "clearly a violation of the government's misuse of position regulation".

"There's a particularly unseemly aspect to this violation: it creates the appearance that the government's endorsement is for sale," he added. "Endorse the president and the administration will endorse your product."

Mr Shaub quit his post in 2017 over repeated clashes with the president.

The White House has defended Ms Trump, saying she had "every right to express her personal support".

"Only the media and the cancel culture movement would criticize Ivanka for showing her personal support for a company that has been unfairly mocked, boycotted and ridiculed for supporting this administration - one that has consistently fought for and delivered for the Hispanic community," said media director Carolina Hurley.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:49 am

Trump's been misusing public office since day 1, and this is a laughably low-rent example.

The US doesn't have an independent system with oversight, so if there's a lot of corrupt politicians (which there are) the president can misuse public office with impunity.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:05 am

Somewhat late-released poll yesterday shows McConnell 4 points ahead in the senate race in Kentucky.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:50 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:05 am
Somewhat late-released poll yesterday shows McConnell 4 points ahead in the senate race in Kentucky.
Wow, in 2014 he won it by 56.2% to 40.7% for the Democrat candidate.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:50 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:05 am
Wow, in 2014 he won it by 56.2% to 40.7% for the Democrat candidate.
Be slightly careful, as that poll has 7% for the Libertarian candidate, and third party candidates have a habit of getting support in polls that disappears on election day.

In 2014, the (L) candidate got 3% of the total vote.

But also, McConnell's challenger in 2014 was re-elected Secretary of State in Kentucky in 2015, so it's possible for Democrats to win statewide in Kentucky.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:26 pm

So Trump has an interview with Chris Wallace of Fox News that will be broadcast soon, but it's been reported/teaser-trailed:
the Guardian wrote:He then made his false claim about Biden, saying: “It’s really because they want to defund the police, and Biden wants to defund the police.”

“No, sir, he does not,” Wallace countered.

Trump stood by his claim, incorrectly saying the unity platform endorsed by Sanders, the Vermont senator whom Biden beat in the Democratic primary, embraces calls to defund the police. In fact, Biden has repeatedly said he does not support calls to defund the police and has instead called for policing reform.

Wallace tried to explain, but the president responded by ordering an aide to go get the document.

“Let’s go! Get me the charter, please!” Trump said.

The teaser ended there but Wallace told Fox News host Bill Hemmer it “led to a very interesting exchange … and he went through it and he found a lot of things that he objected to that Biden has agreed to, but couldn’t find any indication, because there isn’t any, that Joe Biden has sought to defund and abolish the police.”
And it seems Biden ads will be airing during the breaks in the interview...

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:13 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:26 pm
So Trump has an interview with Chris Wallace of Fox News that will be broadcast soon, but it's been reported/teaser-trailed:
the Guardian wrote:He then made his false claim about Biden, saying: “It’s really because they want to defund the police, and Biden wants to defund the police.”

“No, sir, he does not,” Wallace countered.

Trump stood by his claim, incorrectly saying the unity platform endorsed by Sanders, the Vermont senator whom Biden beat in the Democratic primary, embraces calls to defund the police. In fact, Biden has repeatedly said he does not support calls to defund the police and has instead called for policing reform.

Wallace tried to explain, but the president responded by ordering an aide to go get the document.

“Let’s go! Get me the charter, please!” Trump said.

The teaser ended there but Wallace told Fox News host Bill Hemmer it “led to a very interesting exchange … and he went through it and he found a lot of things that he objected to that Biden has agreed to, but couldn’t find any indication, because there isn’t any, that Joe Biden has sought to defund and abolish the police.”
And it seems Biden ads will be airing during the breaks in the interview...
If we are getting to the point even Faux News* have started calling him out his b.llsh.t then Trump is truly f.cked.

*Murdoch famously doesn’t like being caught supporting losers for, among other reasons, it undermines the perceived political clout he wields. If he starts reading the writing on the wall he’d probably rather Fox joins in the pile-on than risk being the only major network found supporting a candidate submerged by a blue tsunami, in order to claim the Fox version of “it woz the Sun wot won-it!”

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:19 am

ABC/Washington Post (rated A+)

Biden +15 Registered Voters
Biden +10 Likely Voters

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pandemi ... d=71779431

Clinton won 2016 by only +2, she needed to have won by +3 to take the Electoral College. That gap is now 3.5 to 4, according to experts (more and more Democrat votes piling up in California etc). Assuming Trump manages in key states to prevent 2 by voter suppression and another 2 by fraud, that requires Biden to be +8.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:33 pm

I WANT TO SEE THE COGNITIVE TEST!!

I want a challenge of wits against the last five questions.
Wallace told Trump that he also took the cognitive test and it's not very hard.

Trump sharply objected: "... the first few questions are easy, but I'll bet you couldn't even answer the last five questions. I'll bet you couldn't, they get very hard, the last five questions."

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:41 pm

lpm wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:33 pm
I WANT TO SEE THE COGNITIVE TEST!!

I want a challenge of wits against the last five questions.
Wallace told Trump that he also took the cognitive test and it's not very hard.

Trump sharply objected: "... the first few questions are easy, but I'll bet you couldn't even answer the last five questions. I'll bet you couldn't, they get very hard, the last five questions."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42717163 (ETA never mind, that's quite an old story, and there are only 5 questions).
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:50 pm

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Was there one like "You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you..."
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:10 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:56 pm
Was there one like "You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you..."
You're on an prison island populated entirely by blue-eyed prisoners...

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:17 pm

shpalman wrote:
..."the times when see only one set of footprints, my child, are when I was riding on the tortoise."

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:01 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:17 pm
shpalman wrote:
..."the times when see only one set of footprints, my child, are when I was riding on the tortoise."
What kind of weak ass god leaves human footprints anyway? I want at least cloven hooves from my bronze age deities.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:23 pm

Odds on tweetstorm later decrying Fox News as deep state antifa and directing the faithful to OANN for their fair and balanced news...
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.