Poisonous disinfectant

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Post Reply
bmforre
Fuzzable
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: Trondheim

Poisonous disinfectant

Post by bmforre » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:30 pm

WaPo free to read as covid related news:

at least 77 hand sanitizer products may be toxic
.. since June, the Food and Drug Administration has identified at least 77 products — including two this week — that consumers should avoid. Many of the products’ labels say they contain ethanol (also known as ethyl alcohol) but FDA tests show that they contain methanol, or wood alcohol.

Methanol can be toxic when absorbed through the skin, the agency said in an advisory, and can cause blindness. It can be lethal if ingested.

User avatar
Woodchopper
After Pie
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Poisonous disinfectant

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:36 am

Topic moved to this forum as it seemed more appropriate here

User avatar
Brightonian
Fuzzable
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Re: Poisonous disinfectant

Post by Brightonian » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:49 am

Oh great. And I was congratulating myself the other day for getting a 500ml container of hand gel for five quid. It says it "kills 99.999% of bacteria" - wow, look at all those nines! And it's got tea tree in as well! No idea whether to trust it or any others now.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3395
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Poisonous disinfectant

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:57 am

The article's from the US, about products manufactured in Mexico. Is the same likely to be to true of products sold in UK/Europe, which are presumably manufactured somewhere else?
Born at 356.32 ppm CO2 #ShowYourStripes

User avatar
shpalman
After Pie
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Poisonous disinfectant

Post by shpalman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:32 am

Brightonian wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:49 am
Oh great. And I was congratulating myself the other day for getting a 500ml container of hand gel for five quid. It says it "kills 99.999% of bacteria" - wow, look at all those nines! And it's got tea tree in as well! No idea whether to trust it or any others now.
Just don't drink it.
molto tricky

User avatar
Martin Y
Dorkwood
Posts: 1243
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Poisonous disinfectant

Post by Martin Y » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:06 am

Is the amount of methanol you might absorb from hand gel actually a significant hazard? If I clean something with a rag or tissue wet with methylated spirits (or, what do they call it in the US, denatured alcohol?) am I poisoning myself by absorption?

<ETA> I get that products which say they contain ethanol and actually contain methanol too should be withdrawn because people will drink them, but the skin absorption thing sounds a bit like OTT scaremongering.

User avatar
Brightonian
Fuzzable
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Re: Poisonous disinfectant

Post by Brightonian » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:43 am

shpalman wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:32 am
Brightonian wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:49 am
Oh great. And I was congratulating myself the other day for getting a 500ml container of hand gel for five quid. It says it "kills 99.999% of bacteria" - wow, look at all those nines! And it's got tea tree in as well! No idea whether to trust it or any others now.
Just don't drink it.
Hmmm...calculates...
cider...5% alcohol...2L bottle...£2.05...21p per unit
gel...70% alcohol...500ml bottle...£5...14p per unit

User avatar
shpalman
After Pie
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Poisonous disinfectant

Post by shpalman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:35 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:06 am
Is the amount of methanol you might absorb from hand gel actually a significant hazard? If I clean something with a rag or tissue wet with methylated spirits (or, what do they call it in the US, denatured alcohol?) am I poisoning myself by absorption?

<ETA> I get that products which say they contain ethanol and actually contain methanol too should be withdrawn because people will drink them, but the skin absorption thing sounds a bit like OTT scaremongering.
On the other hand, things which contain ethanol but don't want to be taxed as alcoholic beverages need to have the alcohol denatured in some way to render it undrinkable.

ETA I would expect that the ones sold here use something to make it unpleasant rather than actually poisonous, and that this might not work in places where the alcoholism is more desperate.

And no I don't expect that there's a significant danger from skin contact, and it's only sort of implied in the article without being explicitly stated.
molto tricky

User avatar
jimbob
Dorkwood
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Poisonous disinfectant

Post by jimbob » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:12 am

shpalman wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:35 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:06 am
Is the amount of methanol you might absorb from hand gel actually a significant hazard? If I clean something with a rag or tissue wet with methylated spirits (or, what do they call it in the US, denatured alcohol?) am I poisoning myself by absorption?

<ETA> I get that products which say they contain ethanol and actually contain methanol too should be withdrawn because people will drink them, but the skin absorption thing sounds a bit like OTT scaremongering.
On the other hand, things which contain ethanol but don't want to be taxed as alcoholic beverages need to have the alcohol denatured in some way to render it undrinkable.

ETA I would expect that the ones sold here use something to make it unpleasant rather than actually poisonous, and that this might not work in places where the alcoholism is more desperate.

And no I don't expect that there's a significant danger from skin contact, and it's only sort of implied in the article without being explicitly stated.
Meths in the UK has changed its formulation in the UK - in 2013:
From Wiki
Formulations
Diverse additives are used to make it difficult to use distillation or other simple processes to reverse the denaturation. Methanol is commonly used both because its boiling point is close to that of ethanol and because it is toxic. Another typical denaturant is pyridine. Often the denatured alcohol is dyed with methyl violet.[8]

There are several grades of denatured alcohol, but in general the denaturants used are similar. As an example, the formulation for completely denatured alcohol, according to 2005 British regulations was as follows:[9]

Completely denatured alcohol must be made in accordance with the following formulation: with every 90 parts by volume of alcohol mix 9.5 parts by volume of wood naphtha or a substitute and 0.5 parts by volume of crude pyridine, and to the resulting mixture add mineral naphtha (petroleum oil) in the proportion of 3.75 litres to every 1000 litres of the mixture and synthetic organic dyestuff (methyl violet) in the proportion of 1.5 grams to every 1000 litres of the mixture.

The European Union agreed in February 2013 to the mutual procedures for the complete denaturing of alcohol:[10]

Per hectolitre (100 L) of absolute ethanol: 3 litres of isopropyl alcohol, 3 litres of methyl ethyl ketone and 1 gram denatonium benzoate.

There was quite a lot of discussion in camping forums about this
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
science_fox
Clardic Fug
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:34 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Poisonous disinfectant

Post by science_fox » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:25 am

Methanol is one of those odd lab 'chemicals' that's widely used especially in my building by biologists* without much care, but the MSDS is pretty strict - "https://beta-static.fishersci.com/conte ... 25426A.pdf"

You will absorb it through the skin and it will have effects if you do so. A few ml probably isn't too bad, as the LD50 is 15g/Kg so you'd need a 1 L exposure to be at risk of dying. If you're using a gel many times a day, every day I would change product.





* "all those (other) risk assessments are just like methanol and I use that all the time" - to which my reply was read the RA for methanol properly!

Post Reply