Anti-maskers

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
tenchboy
After Pie

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by tenchboy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:03 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 pm
The mas[k de]bate. Why oh why oh why is there no Finbarr Saunders smiley?
cock.jpg
cock.jpg (5.56 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 am

discovolante wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:07 am
Well yes, but that's just a type of logic that can easily be flipped round the other way. I was curious what we knew about the reason why it has increased in those parts of Spain in particular.
Ah, sorry, I missed your actual question.

In some parts it's been traced to/blamed on cramped/poor living conditions among agricultural workers. In rural Catalonia I'm not sure. Anti-independence people are suggesting that this shows that the regime in Barcelona might not make a great job of running their own country. They probably ought to go for a full lockdown, but to do so requires asking Madrid and that means admitting that they are not in fact an autonomous republic, which in their heads they are since the declaration of 2017.

A big problem for the international relations aspect of this is that the unit of handling the problem is now the region (cf Scotland v England, or Catalonia v Canaries/Balearics), whereas the unit of international action is generally the nation state.
Something something hammer something something nail

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 am
discovolante wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:07 am
Well yes, but that's just a type of logic that can easily be flipped round the other way. I was curious what we knew about the reason why it has increased in those parts of Spain in particular.
Ah, sorry, I missed your actual question.

In some parts it's been traced to/blamed on cramped/poor living conditions among agricultural workers. In rural Catalonia I'm not sure. Anti-independence people are suggesting that this shows that the regime in Barcelona might not make a great job of running their own country. They probably ought to go for a full lockdown, but to do so requires asking Madrid and that means admitting that they are not in fact an autonomous republic, which in their heads they are since the declaration of 2017.

A big problem for the international relations aspect of this is that the unit of handling the problem is now the region (cf Scotland v England, or Catalonia v Canaries/Balearics), whereas the unit of international action is generally the nation state.
Thanks, that's interesting. To pontificate without having any actual clue what I'm talking about, it doesn't seem to necessarily suggest they couldn't run their own country, but the level of stubbornness they seem to be displaying isn't massively encouraging. I assume the mechanism is that they couldn't institute a lockdown that they could actually enforce, or they couldn't mitigate against the economic impacts, or a bit of both?
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:12 pm

A post on another thread prompted me to go have a quick look at LDV for the lolz.

I check in every couple months for much the same reasons anthropologists are fascinated by uncontacted tribes in the Amazon and South Sea Cargo Cultists and I walk away with much the same conclusions.

Anyway most the BTL comments* on a mask thread**, certainly from the most prolific and vocal posters, are staunchily anti-mask, anti-lockdown and anti-vaxx for the usual infantile Libertarian reasons.

*not the greatest proxy I admit

**ATL it was also sneering about the policy too, although primarily from the fallacious logic that masks should have been compulsory from Day 1 so as they weren’t there is no point belatedly introducing them on Day 120 with a large side-order of “it shouldn’t be even be attempted because people won’t comply”.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:53 am

And now for his next trick Gohmert says he's going to start taking hydroxychloroquine...

ETA - with a zinc and azithromycin chaser no less!

This seems to hit multiple threads - Corono-woo and COVID in the US

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:10 am

headshot wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:07 pm
OF COURSE Laurence Fox is an anti-masker.
At least he’s actually wearing one. Hopefully he’s not taking it out on those around him. People are entitled to hate it as long as they comply. I’ve known 2 people have panic attacks from wearing them, hopefully as they become normalised panic attacks will reduce.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:55 pm

headshot wrote:
Laurence darling, you're a mediocre actor who only got anywhere through your family connections and name. The only thing anyone outside your family needs to hear you say is something from a script. Now, be a good dear, shove that mask in yer gob and shut the f.ck up in public spaces!
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:00 pm

discovolante wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 pm
Thanks, that's interesting. To pontificate without having any actual clue what I'm talking about, it doesn't seem to necessarily suggest they couldn't run their own country, but the level of stubbornness they seem to be displaying isn't massively encouraging. I assume the mechanism is that they couldn't institute a lockdown that they could actually enforce, or they couldn't mitigate against the economic impacts, or a bit of both?
My understanding is that they don't have the powers to enforce things like "Don't go out except for shopping or [minimally] walking the dog", which was the deal in the first 6-7 weeks of the Spanish national lockdown (we were not even allowed out for exercise). That required the declaration of a state of "alarm" (~"state of emergency"; it's complicated) from Madrid. Such a declaration doesn't have to be national in geographical scope, but my understanding is that only the central government can do it, for constitutional reasons to do with civil liberties of all Spanish citizen/residents. On the other hand, Catalonia can, again AIUI, close businesses down, because their licences to operate are regional.
Something something hammer something something nail

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:09 pm

Ugh.
Attachments
580DDF1A-5331-4669-B859-72293D54B9DC.jpeg
580DDF1A-5331-4669-B859-72293D54B9DC.jpeg (295.71 KiB) Viewed 3175 times

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:10 pm

Amount of effort to make and wear an anti-mask t-shirt and then go out in public and risk being refused service >>>> just putting on a mask, you f.cking overgrown toddler.

That’s some special cost-benefit analysis going on there.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 pm

The irony of course is that masks are the only protection from the mind-control nanochips currently being dispersed in chemtrails by DARPA.

Spread the word.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:40 pm

Masks make you ill? WTAF??

I've lined my mask with tin foil to keep the mind-control rays out. It is a bit more difficult to breathe now, but at least Soros China the 5G people Stewart Copeland jews whatever can't read my many, many, valuable and interesting independent thoughts that I came up with all on my own and definitely not from some dodgy facebook group. Wake up Shepley!!
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:40 pm

Masks also stop Them keeping track of you with face recognition technology

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:43 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:40 pm
Masks also stop Them keeping track of you with face recognition technology
TBF if I was James Delingpole I’d strongly support mask wearing just to save myself the shame of people in the street/close members of my immediate family recognising me as James Delingpole.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 pm

I actually have a James Delingpole mask. I wear it when I'm doing something shameful and disgusting in public, like writing for Breitbart.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:58 pm

headshot wrote:

Quick, quick, anyone on twitter.

Call Laurence Fox a racist, or an idiot, or whatever mildly abusive terms you choose. He'll then libel you by calling you a paedophile.

You can then cash in on the law suit settlement. £ £ £

Didn't work with Elon Musk, but the UK libel laws means a pretty good chance for this.

https://twitter.com/nathanoseroff/statu ... 3550215174
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:10 pm

You reckon he is trying to pull a "Producers" style scam*?

Get some overpaid rightwing numpties to give him £5m to set up ReNonce or whatever it is called and then immediately drive the whole rickety Ship of c.nts onto the rocks and claim the cash all went down in the wreckage?

*H/T The Brexit Party.