US Election

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
bolo
Dorkwood

Re: US Election

Post by bolo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Barack Obama just gave an amazing eulogy at the funeral service for John Lewis. Oh how I miss having a decent, intelligent, and articulate president.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:23 pm

bolo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:27 pm
Barack Obama just gave an amazing eulogy at the funeral service for John Lewis. Oh how I miss having a decent, intelligent, and articulate president.
Did you see the pallbearer snub Mitch Mconnell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ro6mIZYwYQ
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:40 pm

jimbob wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:23 pm
bolo wrote:

So that's what the "not you" meme looks like when played out in real life.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:59 pm

Here is a video of the eulogy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P3X9AiN8E4

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:25 am

jimbob wrote:
bolo wrote:

That's not the funeral service for John Lewis, though, it's from the funeral of Elijah Cummins, nearly a year ago.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:06 am

Martin_B wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:25 am
jimbob wrote:
bolo wrote:

That's not the funeral service for John Lewis, though, it's from the funeral of Elijah Cummins, nearly a year ago.
Those two seem to have spent most of their adult lives and deaths being mistaken for each other. A couple of gop sensors tweeted pictures of themselves with Cummings as part of their condolence messages for Lewis. Oops.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 am

Martin_B wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:25 am
jimbob wrote:
bolo wrote:

But from Lewis’ funeral, there was also this - Obama finishes his eulogy, leaves the podium, and as he nears his security detail, pauses to put on a mask. Because he’s not an irrational crybaby, and knows what the sensible, rational thing to do is.

https://twitter.com/photosbybeanz/statu ... 98177?s=21
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:14 pm

Remarkable difference in intended voting method between Trump and Biden supporters:
Is it that Trump supporters don't trust mail-in voting? (From Emerson College.)

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:32 pm

Holy culture wars, Batman.

I'm reminded a bit of The City & the City by China Miéville: two states occupying the same physical space, but with completely distinct cultures to the extent that their citizens refuse to even acknowledge each others' existence.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:06 pm

Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

prak
Pop Chop

Post by prak » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:54 pm

The clip of that interview on the Guardian there was greatly improved by also playing the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme underneath :D

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:34 pm

With the Lewis and Maxwell segments its the same theme. Lewis snubbed Trump so he can't compliment him, whereas the child sex trafficker Maxwell knew Trump so he wishes her well. Its all about The Donald and nothing else matters.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:00 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:34 pm
With the Lewis and Maxwell segments its the same theme. Lewis snubbed Trump so he can't compliment him, whereas the child sex trafficker Maxwell knew Trump so he wishes her well. Its all about The Donald and nothing else matters.
Also saying of the pandemic "it is what it is" belies the stultifying lack of empathy that surely now is apparent to even some ardent supporters.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:51 am

This is a fun tool.

Here's a possible best-case scenario based on current polling as it is. It includes the democrats winning Arizona, Texas, Georgia, Ohio, Maine-2 and North Carolina - all of which are possible given current state-level polling. The democrats would win by 276 electoral votes. Iowa is still just about Republican. Texas is more likely.

If the current polls are too generous to Biden by around 5%, or Biden loses that much in the next few months, then the states I mention above will just fall into Republican territory, but none of the other big hitters such as Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan or even Florida will. Biden still wins by 100 electoral votes. Map here.

Six points more to Trump over current polling and Biden likely fails to win Florida or Nevada. Democrats still win by 30 points.

Seven points more and it's game over - Trump wins Pennsylvania and NE-2, winning re-election by 12 points. Let's just hope that doesn't happen.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:13 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:51 am
Six points more to Trump over current polling and Biden likely fails to win Florida or Nevada. Democrats still win by 30 points.
Not sure why Biden would win Arizona but lose the easier Nevada, but this doesn't change the story. Problem with this scenario is that it means Biden only wins by a single state. Trump shouting "Electoral fraud in Pennsylvania, I'm still President" isn't attractive... If it's decided by <10 EV then he could have electoral fraud in any of PA or MI or WI as his excuse.

It would be funny to see him try the line that there was fraud in Texas and Florida and Ohio and Georgia and North Carolina and Pennsylvania and Arizona.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:27 am

lpm wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:13 am

It would be funny to see him try the line that there was fraud in Texas and Florida and Ohio and Georgia and North Carolina and Pennsylvania and Arizona.
Nah that’s just proves how deep the Deep State goes.

I’ve not been paying attention for the last 4 years so I assume the Swamp is now a bucolic picnic spot and the nepotistic Rest of the World look on in envy at the smoothly transparent and corruption-free functioning of the Trump administration.

I also assume that the child sex ring Clinton was running out of a pizza takeaway got closed down sharpish too.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:39 am

lpm wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:13 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:51 am
Not sure why Biden would win Arizona but lose the easier Nevada
Just my stupid fingers, I'm afraid. It'd be a win by very few points, and probably spark some sort of odd civil war.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:12 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:27 am
I also assume that the child sex ring Clinton was running out of a pizza takeaway got closed down sharpish too.
Well, one child sex ring is getting taken down.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:30 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:12 pm
Little waster wrote:
Is there any update on when we can expect the first prosecutions from all those reported blackmail tapes they confiscated? Surely if you've got someone on camera committing a crime it doesn't take that long to build a case?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:23 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:30 pm
dyqik wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:12 pm
Little waster wrote:
Is there any update on when we can expect the first prosecutions from all those reported blackmail tapes they confiscated? Surely if you've got someone on camera committing a crime it doesn't take that long to build a case?
That rather depends on the DoInjustice

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:30 am

I've split the NRA discussion off here, as it's likely to run on longer than the election itself, and is a topic worthy of its own discussion.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 am

Iowa is a f.cking weird state. Just about tips into Trump support, but they seem to favour the democrat senate candidate over the republican.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:52 am

Yes, that's what I thought. It's weird at the Congressional level.

IA-01 = swing seat.
President: Gore-Kerry-Obama-Obama, but Trump (+4) in 2016.
Senate: voted Ernst (R) in 2014 (+0.4).
House: seat captured by Democrats in 2018, polls show should be easily retained in 2020

IA-02 = swing seat.
President: Gore-Kerry-Obama-Obama, but Trump (+5) in 2016.
Senate: voted Ernst (R) in 2014 (+2).
House: seat has been Democrat for 16 years, with a +12 margin in 2018 - but incumbent stepping down and polls show the Republicans now ahead by +3

IA-03 = swing seat.
President: Gore-Bush-Obama-Obama, but Trump (+3) in 2016.
Senate: voted Ernst (R) in 2014 (+3).
House: seat captured by Democrats in 2018, polls show should be easily retained in 2020

IA-04 = solid Republican seat.
President: Bush-Bush-Obama-Romney, and Trump (+27) in 2016.
Senate: voted Ernst (R) in 2014 (+22).
House: seat was Steve King for years. He's the actual Nazi who praised Auschwitz. But he was defeated in his primary. New Republican will win comfortably.

The Senate seat was Democrat for 30 years but Joni Ernst captured it by +8 in 2014, which was a massive swing from Democrat to Republican. In theory, there's every chance it could flip back - Ernst seems to lag Trump in polling. The "scrappy farm kid with farm kid values" who I'm following seems popular enough but it's odd she's polling better than Biden.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:34 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 am
Iowa is a f.cking weird state. Just about tips into Trump support, but they seem to favour the democrat senate candidate over the republican.
Some background

Tl;dr version: relative high and low points in the election cycle, large number of independent voters, substantial downticket Trump drag and the (moderate) Democrat is making all the running on a popular pro-social security stance in contrast to the Rep who wants to castrate it.

You can also add to that the loss of the Repug’s sophomore boost and a degree of split ticket voting.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:02 pm

“Thighland”

That is all.