Space Launch

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
lpm
Junior Mod

Re: Space Launch

Post by lpm » Sat May 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Is that the end of innovation in launches? Keep this basic set up for a couple of centuries?

Why bother with space planes? Why bother with dropping rockets from aircraft?
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat May 30, 2020 8:28 pm

lpm wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:15 pm
Is that the end of innovation in launches? Keep this basic set up for a couple of centuries?

Why bother with space planes? Why bother with dropping rockets from aircraft?
Indeed, the main point of space planes was reusability, the main point of launching from aircraft is reducing fuel requirements.

However the “Starship” could be a big step again.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun May 31, 2020 1:29 pm

They're live streaming the docking

Currently 200 metres apart
https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun May 31, 2020 3:13 pm

Smooth as anything. I’ve not watched a docking before, didn’t realise it took so long between the docking and the hatch open.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Pishwish
Clardic Fug

Post by Pishwish » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 pm

So the cause of Rocketlab's Electron rocket failure on July 4th has been identified. In the past, the media would have just left it at "electrical fault" but these days we get all the technical details we crave.
Rocket Lab said its team “was able to confidently narrow the issue down to a single anomalous electrical connection.”
“This connection was intermittently secure through flight, creating increasing resistance that caused heating and thermal expansion in the electrical component,” Rocket Lab said. “This caused the surrounding potting compounds to liquify, leading to the disconnection of the electrical system and subsequent engine shutdown.”“The liquefaction of this potting compound is a result of the additional heat caused by the resistance,” Beck explained. “When those potting compounds are able to flow, it doesn’t create great electrical connections.”
Electron uses electric motors to pump the fuel and oxidiser into the combustion chambers. Even with its substantial power requirements, it is surprising that a connection would heat itself up that quickly given the rocket's short life.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:38 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:13 pm
Smooth as anything. I’ve not watched a docking before, didn’t realise it took so long between the docking and the hatch open.
They should be on their way back at some point soon.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Pishwish wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 pm
So the cause of Rocketlab's Electron rocket failure on July 4th has been identified. In the past, the media would have just left it at "electrical fault" but these days we get all the technical details we crave.
Rocket Lab said its team “was able to confidently narrow the issue down to a single anomalous electrical connection.”
“This connection was intermittently secure through flight, creating increasing resistance that caused heating and thermal expansion in the electrical component,” Rocket Lab said. “This caused the surrounding potting compounds to liquify, leading to the disconnection of the electrical system and subsequent engine shutdown.”“The liquefaction of this potting compound is a result of the additional heat caused by the resistance,” Beck explained. “When those potting compounds are able to flow, it doesn’t create great electrical connections.”
Electron uses electric motors to pump the fuel and oxidiser into the combustion chambers. Even with its substantial power requirements, it is surprising that a connection would heat itself up that quickly given the rocket's short life.
If it was intermittently connected it was probably arcing when almost connected, causing quite a bit of heat. I had a similar problem with a circuit breaker on the main board of my house, much scorching.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:02 am

Pishwish wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 pm
Well there's little to heat sink it
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation