Kambo

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Kambo

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:26 pm

During a Kambo treatment the medicine is applied to the skin after small superficial burns are made with a red hot ember vine or incense stick. Only the very top layer of the skin is burned. Once the burns have been made, the Kambo resin is applied to the wounds and this allows the medicine to communicate with the brain via the lymphatic system.
Sounds totally legit.
The immediate effects of kambo are very intense and unpleasant but over fairly quickly, usually lasting no more than 15-20 minutes. The first thing one will notice is a rise in body temperature, as the heart rate becomes more rapid. Heat will be felt mainly in the upper body and head but can be felt in other areas. The blood pressure may rise or fall dramatically, accompanied by an increased awareness of the veins and arteries. Many people report a tingling or burning sensation in the extremities that can slowly spread to other areas of the body. Some may also feel a dissociative sleepiness or an energetic high.
I can't imagine how anything could possibly go wrong here.
Something something hammer something something nail

murmur
Snowbonk

Re: Kambo

Post by murmur » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:39 pm

An unnamed venom from an unnamed species of frog, applied in such a manner as to go directly into the blood stream?

I'll have a pint of that, Bob! 'S OK, I' ve got a toxicologist on speed dial...

Aaaaaah, apparently it's the giant monkey frog; still haven't tracked down the nature of the venom...
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:56 pm

The guy is advertising a session of this in our local Facebook group, for this coming Wednesday. I forwarded it to the group admins and the post has gone, but the event is still up. Part of me is tempted to comment on it, but part of me is reluctant as it's a small community and there is a very vocal group of woo-sters who (by an amazing coincidence) are all very COVID-skeptic and look unfavourably on anything that might be construed as limiting people's ability to make a living.
Something something hammer something something nail

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:22 pm

The secretion, known as Kambo or Sapo, has seen increasing popularity in cleansing rituals, where it induces intense vomiting.[11][12] Claims of medicinal effects have not been supported by medical evidence.[13][12]
Sounds pleasant.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:10 am

Sounds like something Bruce Parry would try, for our entertainment.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:07 pm

Heh, reading The Hell Of It All last night and the third article I read was about Bruce Parry. Turns out he has actually tried the frog poison / wound thing for our entertainment.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:04 am

jdc wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:07 pm
Heh, reading The Hell Of It All last night and the third article I read was about Bruce Parry. Turns out he has actually tried the frog poison / wound thing for our entertainment.
I think of him as a one-man charity, providing more-or-less innocent amusement to indigenous peoples throughout the World
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation