Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Re: International travel

Post by shpalman » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:12 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:32 am
Coronavirus: 'Covidiots' criticised on Tui flight from Zante to Cardiff
"This flight was a debacle. The chap next to me had his mask around his neck. Not only did the airline not pull him up on it, they gave him a free drink when he said he knew a member of the crew

"Loads of people were taking their masks off and wandering up and down the aisles to talk to others.

"As soon as the flight landed, a load of people took their masks off immediately. The flight was full of selfish 'covidiots' and an inept crew who couldn't care less."
Health officials say seven people from three different parties on Tui flight 6215 from Zante to Cardiff on Tuesday have tested positive for Covid-19
It's wrong to criticise the behaviour on this flight because most flights are fine and it's the government's fault for not letting them work from home
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:54 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:55 pm

On our bonkers trip back from Italy and the stop at the grim "Goldene Bremm" raststätte which is basically a truck stop I noticed all the truckers were sitting in groups by their trucks in very, very close proximity and not wearing masks so easily spreading COVID long distances across Europe.

science_fox
Snowbonk

Post by science_fox » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:28 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:28 pm
I think I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and visit the UK sometime this year. I've spent a couple of lengthy periods not seeing my mum - when I lived in the US, and again when I lived in Brazil - but it seems crazy when I'm only 2.5 hours away. She's not getting any younger.

The only problem is isolating on arrival after travelling through airports and London public transport - 14 days in a hotel is prohibitively expensive. I guess I could camp somewhere?! Which would be a fun way to spend a fortnight in December.
You're allowed to self-isolate at your destination (mum's) I think - although it's very confusing - providing you don't leave the house etc. Whether you'd want to is a different question. I'm not sure if in that case your mum would also have to isolate, but unless either of you develop symptoms I don't think so.
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:36 am

science_fox wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:28 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I think I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and visit the UK sometime this year. I've spent a couple of lengthy periods not seeing my mum - when I lived in the US, and again when I lived in Brazil - but it seems crazy when I'm only 2.5 hours away. She's not getting any younger.

The only problem is isolating on arrival after travelling through airports and London public transport - 14 days in a hotel is prohibitively expensive. I guess I could camp somewhere?! Which would be a fun way to spend a fortnight in December.
You're allowed to self-isolate at your destination (mum's) I think - although it's very confusing - providing you don't leave the house etc. Whether you'd want to is a different question. I'm not sure if in that case your mum would also have to isolate, but unless either of you develop symptoms I don't think so.
My dad was having a hernia op last month and had to isolate for 14 days prior to that, which meant that my mum had to isolate, too. So if you are isolating at your parent's, they should be isolating too (that, or you isolate from your parents at your parents, if they have a room(s) they can isolate off for you!)

Of course, when my dad went to the hospital for a Covid-19 test 4 days before the op he got told that actually the rules had changed and he only needed to isolate from the test onwards, so that's joined-up thinking for you!
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:48 am

science_fox wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:

I could, and she does have a spare room and an extra bathroom. But realistically I don't see us actually maintaining proper isolation for 14 days. She's in her late 60s and works with old/sick people in a sheltered housing scheme, in person, so I really don't want to infect her and all her residents.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:19 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:48 am
science_fox wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:

I could, and she does have a spare room and an extra bathroom. But realistically I don't see us actually maintaining proper isolation for 14 days. She's in her late 60s and works with old/sick people in a sheltered housing scheme, in person, so I really don't want to infect her and all her residents.
Could you borrow a campervan and stay on her drive, or move temporarily to an exempt country to isolate there before travelling?
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:19 pm
Could you borrow a campervan and stay on her drive, or move temporarily to an exempt country to isolate there before travelling?
It's the actual travelling process I'm worried about, rather than the government's silly list - I'm far safer in Portugal than in the UK, there have been barely any cases in my city and the only people I know who've been tested were negative. I just don't want to pick something up in an airport/aeroplane/UK public transport and give it to my mum. To be honest if Portugal gets put back on the quarantine list I'd probably be safer - fewer covidiots on the flight ;)

And unfortunately she lives in a small city-centre flat with only one parking space (with her car in it, that she uses for work) and no balcony so unfortunately I can't just camp outside. I don't really know anyone my age with spare space (let alone a campervan!) - youngsters in the southeast all have at least as many housemates as spare rooms.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:37 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:20 pm
Gfamily wrote:
It's the actual travelling process I'm worried about, rather than the government's silly list - I'm far safer in Portugal than in the UK, there have been barely any cases in my city and the only people I know who've been tested were negative. I just don't want to pick something up in an airport/aeroplane/UK public transport and give it to my mum. To be honest if Portugal gets put back on the quarantine list I'd probably be safer - fewer covidiots on the flight ;)

And unfortunately she lives in a small city-centre flat with only one parking space (with her car in it, that she uses for work) and no balcony so unfortunately I can't just camp outside. I don't really know anyone my age with spare space (let alone a campervan!) - youngsters in the southeast all have at least as many housemates as spare rooms.
If she lives near Alan Bennett, you could just park the campervan in his drive.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:01 am

jdc wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:37 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:20 pm
Gfamily wrote:

If she lives near Alan Bennett, you could just park the campervan in his drive.
I did ask her what her neighbour's name was again, and she told me it was Anne Davies. I would never have remembered a name like that.

Anyway, when I looked up Anne Davies in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography in the library, it said "SEE UNDER Alan Bennet." Well I never.

I heard Alan Bennet's got quite a small driveway, though. I'm not sure his driveway could cope with the kinds of campervan I can get hold of.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:55 am

Scotland has "jumped gun" on quarantine says Government Minister who literally got caught in a snap quarantine.

Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, can you do that thing you do with your hands?
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:07 am

YDlyA0UF9CjDmV_6JWpJSjxeerkfi7C9nyYPBKb_1zg.jpg
YDlyA0UF9CjDmV_6JWpJSjxeerkfi7C9nyYPBKb_1zg.jpg (77.01 KiB) Viewed 3605 times

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:32 am

BOAF I'm a bit confused but I thought the 14 day quarantine doesn't currently apply if you're arriving in England?

Obviously that doesn't avoid the ethical issues but just wondering...
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:08 pm

discovolante wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:32 am
BOAF I'm a bit confused but I thought the 14 day quarantine doesn't currently apply if you're arriving in England?

It doesn't currently, but I won't be visiting till Decemberish anyway and who knows by then. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but travelling to the UK will be the riskiest thing I've done since March and I don't want to pass that risk on to my mum and her residents, even if the UK government is happy for me to do so.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:05 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:08 pm
discovolante wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:32 am

It doesn't currently, but I won't be visiting till Decemberish anyway and who knows by then. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but travelling to the UK will be the riskiest thing I've done since March and I don't want to pass that risk on to my mum and her residents, even if the UK government is happy for me to do so.
OK fair enough. I wasn't suggesting you should just go by the letter of the law and damn the consequences, just wanted to clarify!
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:11 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:54 pm

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester police said officers were visiting holidaymakers who failed to answer three phone calls from public health and Border Force officials, which suggested that they were breaching the quarantine rules they were subject to.
So they simply ring you up, and if they only have your mobile number, you claim you're at home, and that's it?

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:19 pm

They can probably work out where your phone is
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:09 pm

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:37 pm

The UK now has had enough new covid cases this week that if it weren't the UK, you wouldn't be allowed to go to the UK from it.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:37 pm
The UK now has had enough new covid cases this week that if it weren't the UK, you wouldn't be allowed to go to the UK from it.
Presumably that means the government will be imposing a 14 day quarantine on everybody.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:27 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 pm
shpalman wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:37 pm
Presumably that means the government will be imposing a 14 day quarantine on everybody.
Being serious about it, if parts of Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire are over the quarantine threshold, should people returning from these areas quarantine themselves?

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:51 pm

My brother, who's normally quite an organised sort, is a head teacher. He's just booked himself a holiday in France over the half term holiday without thinking whether he'll be required to self-isolate on return. Oops.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:26 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:51 pm
My brother, who's normally quite an organised sort, is a head teacher. He's just booked himself a holiday in France over the half term holiday without thinking whether he'll be required to self-isolate on return. Oops.
Or whether he'll have to self isolate on arrival in France?

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:09 pm

AMS wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:26 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:51 pm
Or whether he'll have to self isolate on arrival in France?
Good point, thank you for that. Currently you only have to fill in a form, but obviously things could change.