Getting Brexit done

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Re: Getting Brexit done

Post by sTeamTraen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:59 am

veravista wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:43 pm
Simple question really. Is she willing to break the law?
Not sure if that's the best way to put it. MPs will not be breaking the law, however they vote. They can vote for what they like. And nobody's even going to arrest the government if the bill passes and they start to implement whatever it actually is that they want to change; it will be the international equivalent of a civil matter. The EU will either take the UK to one or other court of international arbitration, or stop talking to them.

A bigger issue is that it will make the UK a total laughing stock, and a pariah in future international negotiations. But Brexit has arguably already done one and a half of those.

I'm starting to think that the best (in terms of the UK seeing some sense over Brexit; not, perhaps, for the anxiety levels of UK residents) that can happen is for this bill to pass (which it will anyway) and trade negotiations with the EU to stop completely. It's a Mr Prosser-Arthur Dent* situation.

*Mr Prosser: Have you any idea of how much damage that bulldozer would suffer if I just let it roll straight over you?
Arthur Dent: How much?
Mr Prosser: None at all.
Something something hammer something something nail

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:05 am

I'm not convinced that she won't be breaking the law, at the very least she's complicit in voting for something that she has been told, in a public forum, that will lead to individuals breaking the law, albeit in a 'limited and specific' way. Breaking the law nonetheless.

I agree that it's a narrow point of accountability, and the consequences you mentioned of breaking an international treaty are far, far worse than a couple of meaningless prosecutions of Tory drones. The mere fact that they are even contemplating it has sent messages to the world that we are, as a nation, untrustworthy. Can't wait for the first WTO court of arbitration case against the UK for restriction of trade (my money is the Japanese wrt to Toyota, Honda and Nissan..)

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:43 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:59 am
I'm starting to think that the best (in terms of the UK seeing some sense over Brexit; not, perhaps, for the anxiety levels of UK residents) that can happen is for this bill to pass (which it will anyway) and trade negotiations with the EU to stop completely. It's a Mr Prosser-Arthur Dent* situation.

*Mr Prosser: Have you any idea of how much damage that bulldozer would suffer if I just let it roll straight over you?
Arthur Dent: How much?
Mr Prosser: None at all.
David Allen Green is sceptical about whether the bill will survive its passage through parliament with the provisions for breaking the WA intact
This bill is still at an early stage in its passage through parliament. It may well be that the relevant provisions do not survive the House of Commons. It also is likely that the relevant provisions, if they survive the Commons, do not survive the Lords, because the Lords is in the slightly strange situation of being able to uphold the government's own manifesto commitment against the government, under the so-called Salisbury Convention, which means that they can delay or even vote down relevant legislation which are in breach of a manifesto commitment. But even if it does pass both the Commons and the Lords and receives Royal Assent and becomes primary legislation, it may well be that there is a case which goes up to the Supreme Court to show that this is not an approach which can be adopted in primary legislation. The government cannot put in a provision which says we are above or beyond the law.
Also, the passage of the bill will presumably take some time, so I'm not sure how feasible it would be for the EU to wait to see whether it passes before ceasing trade negotiations. It might be that, if they are going to do such a thing, they have to do it before the eventual fate of the bill is known.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:02 pm

snoozeofreason wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:43 pm

Also, the passage of the bill will presumably take some time, so I'm not sure how feasible it would be for the EU to wait to see whether it passes before ceasing trade negotiations. It might be that, if they are going to do such a thing, they have to do it before the eventual fate of the bill is known.
They need to complete some kind of trade deal before 31 December, which means agreement between the EU and UK over the next 4 weeks or so. So yes, not enough time to wait and see if the legislation passes.

It looks like the legislation is a piece of signalling. I just don't know what the message is intended to be.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:05 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:02 pm
It looks like the legislation is a piece of signalling. I just don't know what the message is intended to be.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:40 am

I assume it's a contrivance directed at the electorate. Boris needs it to be "somebody else's fault" when there's a NI border in the Irish Sea. Doesn't matter who it is - the Commons, Lords, anyone.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:56 pm

I know it'll have been said and thought by everyone already but

"Yes I murdered that bloke, but let me off cos I only broke the law in a limited and specific way"

I'd venture that the vast majority of law-breaking is done in a very limited and specific way, with the glaring exception of Samuel Little who broke the law in widespread and undiscerning ways.

Just basically solved all prison overcrowding and police under-resourcing in one go there. Well done UK.Gov! Let's let all the criminals out cos, after all, they only broke the law in a limited and specific way, amiright?
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:04 pm

The FT has just run a piece about the new Japanese trade deal, which apparently has stricter state aid constraints that the EU deal the government are railing against.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:45 pm

I have not yet had any reply to my email to my MP, Rob Butler (newly elected Tory, fully supportive of Brexit, etc, etc) beyond the automated reply that said I had to include my name and address (which I had) and directing me to his website if I was contacting him on a subject on the long list he then included. It was not on any of those subjects so I await his reply with bated breath*.

*Not really. If I actually get a reply, which is unlikely, it will be whatever Conservative Central Office have deemed to be the correct response to such questions and is unlikely to be in any way enlightening, revealing, or encouraging.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:22 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 am
FlammableFlower wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:39 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:52 pm
Hurrah!

Rather than having no idea of how much we can bring with us when we return from other EU countries, we now have specific quantities - it must help to remove the uncertainty.

allowances.PNG

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... sponse.pdf

Spoiler:
Ah, the old duty free limits have returned/are to be returning (oh god, what tense?). Weirdly nostalgic and not in a good way.
To be fair, the allowances for alcohol seem to be a bit higher than pre-1992. IIRC it was 1 or 2 litres of spirits, which could be replaced with 2 or 4 of sparkling wine. The new 9 litres of sparkling wine is two 6-bottle cases of 75cl bottles. Obviously less than the current situation, but it seems to have been designed with an acknowledgement that people would be even more unhappy with the old numbers. For tobacco it seems to be back to pre-1992 levels; I imagine increasing that will be a key part of the next Brexit Party manifesto. 🙄
Are those limits per person? Or per vehicle? So if my wife and I did a little cruise down to Reims, could we trek it back with just 12 bottles, or 24?
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:32 pm

BTW, if anyone fancies a bit of fun, watch that Miliband speech. Genuinely incredible.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:53 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:22 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
FlammableFlower wrote:

Ah, the old duty free limits have returned/are to be returning (oh god, what tense?). Weirdly nostalgic and not in a good way.
To be fair, the allowances for alcohol seem to be a bit higher than pre-1992. IIRC it was 1 or 2 litres of spirits, which could be replaced with 2 or 4 of sparkling wine. The new 9 litres of sparkling wine is two 6-bottle cases of 75cl bottles. Obviously less than the current situation, but it seems to have been designed with an acknowledgement that people would be even more unhappy with the old numbers. For tobacco it seems to be back to pre-1992 levels; I imagine increasing that will be a key part of the next Brexit Party manifesto. 🙄
Are those limits per person? Or per vehicle? So if my wife and I did a little cruise down to Reims, could we trek it back with just 12 bottles, or 24?
Per person - that document doesn't make it clear whether there's any intention that there be an age restriction on the allowance for alcohol and tobacco products, I'm pretty sure there will be.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:59 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:32 pm
BTW, if anyone fancies a bit of fun, watch that Miliband speech. Genuinely incredible.
Good recommendation!

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:00 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:59 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Good recommendation!
Where can you find it? Only seen a couple of clips
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:18 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:22 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
FlammableFlower wrote:

Per person, see page 7.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:23 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Was it the one where he tells Boris he has no-one to blame but himself for agreeing a deal he couldn't stick to, and then goes after the govt for being lawless c.nts from Cummings on down?

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:24 pm

Grumble wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:00 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:59 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Good recommendation!
Where can you find it? Only seen a couple of clips
One i saw was on New European i think

eta https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-6837809

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:34 pm

Yeah that was the one I found.

Gove's face on being quoted...

Johnson attempting to look mildly outraged at being called out and then giving up and playing with his phone.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:24 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:45 pm
I have not yet had any reply to my email to my MP, Rob Butler (newly elected Tory, fully supportive of Brexit, etc, etc) beyond the automated reply that said I had to include my name and address (which I had) and directing me to his website if I was contacting him on a subject on the long list he then included. It was not on any of those subjects so I await his reply with bated breath*.

*Not really. If I actually get a reply, which is unlikely, it will be whatever Conservative Central Office have deemed to be the correct response to such questions and is unlikely to be in any way enlightening, revealing, or encouraging.
I've not had any response from my MP's parliamentary account. I notice he directs people to a personal account, which seems wrong to me.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:39 pm

Brrrrrrr

From some reason I thought I'd go and look at the Mail Online. I can't remember the last time I did... bl..dy hell, that was a good example of how people live in entirely different bubbles. Apparently I must have watched a very different Ed Milliband speech to their political correspondent.

Living up to my opinion of the Mail, the main section links in News are as below:
News

Latest Headlines | Coronavirus | Royal Family | Crime | Boris Johnson | Prince Harry | Meghan Markle | World News | Headlines | Most read
In order to find their commentary on the bill's debate (it's not on the main page) you first have to go to News, then Boris Johnson; then you will find a link to it.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:48 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:34 pm

Johnson attempting to look mildly outraged at being called out and then giving up and playing with his phone.
8m33 of Ed Miliband and you want more?

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:50 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:53 pm
Per person - that document doesn't make it clear whether there's any intention that there be an age restriction on the allowance for alcohol and tobacco products, I'm pretty sure there will be.
I seem to remember that historically there was an age limit, but weirdly it was something like 16 or 17 for alcohol, not 18.
Something something hammer something something nail

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:42 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:50 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:53 pm
I seem to remember that historically there was an age limit, but weirdly it was something like 16 or 17 for alcohol, not 18.
The age limit is currently 17 for imports from outside the EU. Probably has been for a while.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 am

jdc wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:48 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:34 pm

8m33 of Ed Miliband and you want more?
Strange times

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 am

Wrote to my MP, who is a QC so should know better, but is also a government minister. I suspect it won't help.