US Election

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
lpm
Junior Mod

Re: US Election

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:40 am

4 Presidents.

Trump dies. Pence loses. Biden inaugurated but is too ill. Harris becomes 48th POTUS.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:44 am

I don't think Pence wins. He's been in the background, barely visible, and doesn't bring many of the Trump fans with him - they are flying "Trump 2020" flags, not Trump/Pence flags.

And I don't know that the anger behind the enthusiasm to vote Trump out goes away quickly - everyone I see is "vote them all out". The Supreme Court thing is part of that.

Also, coronavirus is the top issue for voters. This again reinforces how bad Trump has been on it. And Pence is nominally leading the coronavirus task force.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:49 am

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:05 am
The only 'good' outcome from this is long covid. A weakened, debilitated Trump can't lie about the severity of the virus. Plus, frailty doesn't play well with his base.

Mild case - means he can say how trivial Covid is, look at me I beat it easy.

Death - Pence wins Nov 3rd.
Pence does not win.

Trump won't get rewritten if he dies. Pence does not inherit the cult' s fanatics.

There's no guarantee Pence will be the official candidate either. The whole situation is mad. The RNC can vote for a new official candidate, but the ballots are out and millions have voted. And in January state EC electors can vote for anyone.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:58 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:10 am
Ha ha ha ha please please please please ha ha ha ha ha ha please please please please please please oh my god it would be so amazing
I came straight here after seeing the headlines, for exactly this content.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

PeteB
Clardic Fug

Post by PeteB » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:59 am

I think fatality rate for a 74 year old man is 3->4 %. Most likely asymptomatic or mild case, but significant chance of it not being.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:04 am

PeteB wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:59 am
I think fatality rate for a 74 year old man is 3->4 %. Most likely asymptomatic or mild case, but significant chance of it not being.
And probably diagnosed before symptoms manifest, allowing very careful monitoring etc.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:05 am

Don't forget he's obese as well. Guardian reckons that raises the risk by just under 50%, so he's got around a 6% chance of dying.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:06 am

If Trump has bad Covid-19 sympathy for him will rise, dems will be unable to attack him the way they want to, his poll ratings will increase. His chances of winning go up with this, not down.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:06 am

So was this the Republican’s October Surprise we’ve heard so much about?

Very Machiavellian.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:08 am

Well, no one will be taking about the taxes now, and some will be excusing the debate performance as that of someone who's ill.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:20 am

Sorry, but this sympathy idea is nonsense. Nobody is going to say, actually I'll take four more years of this because I feel sorry for him.

Almost all voters have already decided. The Democrats have no need to attack him anyway. A space where they can build on the positives of Biden would help. It will damp voting enthusiasm for Trump.

When Clinton got pneumonia, did she get sympathy voters? No. It hurt her, quite significantly, in the polls. It was a key reason why her polling headed down in the final weeks, along with the FBI f.ckers. And Trump mocked her illness without mercy. Health is a factor in voting - they are electing a Commander in Chief as well as President.

There's a reason why US political adverts always show their candidate jogging or running up stairs to greet supporters or jumping into a fighter jet. It's because American voters love that sh.t. They are a basic lot over there, equating physical vitality with political strength.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:26 am

dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:04 am
PeteB wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:59 am
And probably diagnosed before symptoms manifest, allowing very careful monitoring etc.
But in the elderly delirium is an important symptom and they won't be able to tell if it's delirium or just his normal ranting.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:29 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:20 am
And Trump mocked her illness without mercy.
4 years ago today, in fact.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:30 am

Is it possible for the dems to attack trump on COVID harder now he has contracted it?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:34 am

Covid-19 is one of the weakest areas for Trump. The economy is one of Trump's stronger areas.

The basic principle in normal campaigns is to keep the news cycles constantly on your strong areas and on your opponents weak areas. Any day that the topic is coronavirus is a good day for Biden.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:28 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:23 am
They were quite far apart at the debate. But Trump was pretty shouty. Two nights ago.

Is there a chance he infected Biden?
Thinking about it, he can't have infected Biden.

He (and everyone around him) gets tested every day, possibly several times a day. As soon as his body started emitting bits of RNA, the test picked it up. It wouldn't make sense for him to be spewing RNA in Biden's direction but not enough for the tests on Tuesday, Weds and Thursday morning.

More likely is he caught it on Tuesday? And it took two days for him to emit enough RNA? Presumably they are using highly sensitive tests and detect it very fast?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:52 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:34 am
Covid-19 is one of the weakest areas for Trump. The economy is one of Trump's stronger areas.

The basic principle in normal campaigns is to keep the news cycles constantly on your strong areas and on your opponents weak areas. Any day that the topic is coronavirus is a good day for Biden.
And the stock market is the only bit of the economy that's good. The President being sick is rattling global markets.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:54 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:28 am
lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:23 am
They were quite far apart at the debate. But Trump was pretty shouty. Two nights ago.

Is there a chance he infected Biden?
Thinking about it, he can't have infected Biden.

He (and everyone around him) gets tested every day, possibly several times a day. As soon as his body started emitting bits of RNA, the test picked it up. It wouldn't make sense for him to be spewing RNA in Biden's direction but not enough for the tests on Tuesday, Weds and Thursday morning.

More likely is he caught it on Tuesday? And it took two days for him to emit enough RNA? Presumably they are using highly sensitive tests and detect it very fast?
Tuesday would mean meeting new people, both for him and his campaign team. He did a rally on Wednesday, as well, I think?

Of course, if he caught it Tuesday, then clearly Biden is an asymptomatic superspreader...

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:07 pm

Good slogan from twitter

DON'T GLOAT, VOTE

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:35 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:07 pm
Good slogan from twitter

DON'T GLOAT, VOTE
¿Por qué no los dos?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:30 pm

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1311751934668206080

tl;dw version.

Journo: Here's some doctored photos your campaign team are putting out on FB, what do you say?

GOP Shill: Never mind that, Biden's team agreed to an earpiece inspection then didn't do it. I'm JAQing.

Journo: The Biden team deny that.

GOP Shill: They are liars.

Journo: Well can you give me any more details of that agreement.

GOP Shill: No

Journo: Why not?

GOP Shill: How dare you call me a liar!

Journo: Well you've been caught doctoring photos and are unable to substantiate any of your claims.

GOP Shill: Lalalala not listening.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:01 pm

Hm. I wonder if they consider this scenario* in the war games of how the election might play out....

These ones: https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2020/07/28 ... p-scenario
Also here: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ng/614842/

Sorry if someone has already posted that.

* Trump getting Covid, I mean.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:35 pm

The last jobs report before the election is pretty weak, with a slowdown in jobs being added, and unemployment at 8%.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:52 pm

On the left is Trump's pick for the supreme court, on the right, Senator Mike Lee, on the 29th

Senator Mike Lee just tested positive for COVID-19

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:10 pm

It'll be fun to see how many Senators end up not being able to vote on the SCOTUS nomination, due to quarantine/isolation.