New Phone Scam

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
malbui
Fuzzable

Re: New Phone Scam

Post by malbui » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:15 am

There is an interesting complication around here in that many companies have relocated their customer support to the Maghreb or to countries in francophone West Africa. So sometimes the calls over not-great connections and with foreign accents are legitimate... I was talking to someone from a satellite TV company who reckons the proportion of their calls where the client hangs up has gone through the roof.
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:19 am

Likewise here in the UK it is possible to get a perfectly legitimate call from a call centre in India but it is perfectly reasonable to be wary of them. It would be ironic if transferring customer services to cheaper places turned out to be a false economy because of lost custom.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:17 pm

JQH wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:19 am
Likewise here in the UK it is possible to get a perfectly legitimate call from a call centre in India but it is perfectly reasonable to be wary of them. It would be ironic if transferring customer services to cheaper places turned out to be a false economy because of lost custom.
I'd be surprised, to be honest.

Even in Portugal, which has a lot of call centres for UK companies, minimum wage is about £7500 pa, compared with twice that for the UK. The median salary in India is about £1500, so a saving of 90%. So they'd have to lose a lot of custom for it to make a difference. Plus the trend towards online text-based support makes accents less of an issue, workers can follow a script more easily, and parts of the initial screening can be done by AI.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

border_reiver
Gray Pubic

Post by border_reiver » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:11 pm

Just had 'Amazon Customer Services' on. Apparently someone has hacked my account and bought an iPhone for £750 in 'Liverpool, England'
I played dumb for a bit and she kept asking me what device I used to access the internet and I kept saying I didn't see what that had to do with anything.
I got fed up with her telling me to "listen to me"
She stuck around for the accusations of fraud and questions about how proud her mother must be of her career but finally hung up when I started laughing and said I was sorry but I was just enjoying this so much it had been such a boring afternoon up to now.
6 minutes I managed.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:54 am

According to the text message, my Paypal account has been locked. Yeah right.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:00 pm

"HSBC" need me to follow their link to log in and confirm a payment.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:32 am

Martin Y wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:00 pm
I had a text message from LloydsTSB quite recently
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:59 am

jimbob wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:32 am
Martin Y wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:00 pm
I had a text message from LloydsTSB quite recently
The most sinister part is that the link that appeared in the text message looked legit: "https://hsbc.co.uk.payee-review-<reference>"

But I suspect that visible message was actually an image of a message. One downside of trying to make simple messaging clever - what the user thinks is a few bytes of text might have all kinds of shenanigans hidden behind which aren't shown.

malbui
Fuzzable

Post by malbui » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:40 am

A few years ago a credit card of mine got blocked as a precaution while I was on business abroad. I was in Barcelona and someone tried to use the card number for something in the US and that triggered an alarm. Which is good.

Problem was that when the card issuer got in touch, they asked me to contact them on a number that didn't feature on their website. They really didn't understand my concerns about that.
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:57 pm

The Amazon Prime one is doing the rounds again - it's Amazon Prime Day soon, could be connected - I've it twice today, along with two or three 'silence then hang-up' calls.
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:38 pm

Had a novel one yesterday from someone who I later googled to be automobile accident scammers.

"Hello"

"Hello, is that Mr RealFirstName RealSurnameBreakfast?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Mr RealSurnameBreakfast?"

"Seriously!"

They then hung up on me. :shock: :lol:

f.ck knows what was going on there.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

OneOffDave
Clardic Fug

Post by OneOffDave » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:23 pm

I tried to use my card contactless in Miami last year and it got rejected. Within 5 minutes I had a text from the card company asking me to call them. The best thing was they told me to use the contact number on the card rather than including one in the text.

My favourite trick is to ask them to stay one the line a little longer "while my colleague completes the trace". Usually gets a fairly rapid hang up

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:06 pm

OneOffDave wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:23 pm
I tried to use my card contactless in Miami last year and it got rejected. Within 5 minutes I had a text from the card company asking me to call them. The best thing was they told me to use the contact number on the card rather than including one in the text.
That’s all very well except that if the reason they’re texting you about a suspicious transaction is because the transaction has in fact been made by someone else who has nicked your card, then you don’t have the card with the contact number on it.
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

OneOffDave
Clardic Fug

Post by OneOffDave » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:15 pm

nekomatic wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:06 pm
OneOffDave wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:23 pm
That’s all very well except that if the reason they’re texting you about a suspicious transaction is because the transaction has in fact been made by someone else who has nicked your card, then you don’t have the card with the contact number on it.
At least that would tell me my physical card has been nicked!

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:29 pm

Aitch wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:57 pm
The Amazon Prime one is doing the rounds again - it's Amazon Prime Day soon, could be connected - I've it twice today, along with two or three 'silence then hang-up' calls.
Yup, we're getting that one about 3 times a day lately.
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:46 pm

What is the Amazon Prime scam?
Something something hammer something something nail

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:55 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:46 pm
What is the Amazon Prime scam?
I hadn't heard of it before this thread but it seems to be this, where you get conned into allowing remote control of your computer, a bit like the Microsoft scam.

I had wondered if the Amazon Prime scam was one perpetrated by Amazon themselves where they try to trick you into signing up for Prime, or where they are dodging their taxes.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:45 am

Yeah, that's the one. We just hang straight up, what with never having had a Prime account.
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:01 am

gosling wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:53 am
Friend of mine likes to give them a lecture about why they think scamming is an acceptable way to make a living and what would their mum think. They mostly hang up, but one guy phoned back half an hour later to say she was right and he'd quit.
Result.

For quite a few years I scambaited so I get quite a few scam calls as I would happily give out my mobile number

I have never managed to convince any of them to quit but have been cursed at in a wide variety of accents many many times

Most of them are investment scams as I registered for some online dodgy trading scam and used my mobile number as a contact

They sell sucker lists between themselves

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Mon May 10, 2021 10:47 am

Just had a robocall from the police to say my NI number has been involved in criminal activities (out on its own?) and that they were going to suspend the number, freeze all my transactions, and arrest me. I must press 1 immediately to speak to them. Presumably this filters out the scam-aware without any need for them to call first.

Voice could have been computer generated, but was sort of posh and not accented (other than posh).

Didn't have time to play with them (my favourites - "I'm terribly sorry, but I don't have a phone': "It's my brother you want, but he's in court for murdering a scam caller- I'll pass on your details' and 'I've just found out my girlfriend is pregnant' - they often say 'congratulations' then I say 'but I'm busy trying to explain it to my wife).

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon May 10, 2021 12:57 pm

I often look up the scammer's number on one of those "who called me" sites, adding my own report. But lately I've noticed the numbers aren't already in there so they seem to have an endless supply of new numbers. Or else they're simply spoofing them.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue May 11, 2021 12:13 am

Brightonian wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:57 pm
I often look up the scammer's number on one of those "who called me" sites, adding my own report. But lately I've noticed the numbers aren't already in there so they seem to have an endless supply of new numbers. Or else they're simply spoofing them.
They are spoofing them.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:47 am
Just had a robocall from the police to say my NI number has been involved in criminal activities (out on its own?) and that they were going to suspend the number, freeze all my transactions, and arrest me. I must press 1 immediately to speak to them. Presumably this filters out the scam-aware without any need for them to call first.

Voice could have been computer generated, but was sort of posh and not accented (other than posh).

Didn't have time to play with them (my favourites - "I'm terribly sorry, but I don't have a phone': "It's my brother you want, but he's in court for murdering a scam caller- I'll pass on your details' and 'I've just found out my girlfriend is pregnant' - they often say 'congratulations' then I say 'but I'm busy trying to explain it to my wife).
Had that one. Their script is rubbish. They start off by asking my name, to which the obvious response is " but you phoned me, you must know my name". I like to string them on as long as possible to keep them away from people who may be conned

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Tue May 11, 2021 3:59 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:13 am
Brightonian wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:57 pm
They are spoofing them.
Definitely. I've had a bunch on my mobile lately that all come from numbers that match the first 6 or 7 digits of mine. Apparently that's a thing because you'll be so intrigued you'll call back. I don't get why; it's not like friends are likely to have numbers close to your own...

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Tue May 11, 2021 4:14 pm

Isn't the point of those scams that if you press 1, you find yourself calling a premium-rate number? Or is that an urban myth? (Whaddaya mean, JFGI?)