Donald Trump's health

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Donald Trump's health

Post by shpalman » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:45 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:48 pm

The Wall Street Journal is reporting this afternoon from anonymous sources familiar with the matter that the president attempted to keep the positive test result from the rapid test mum
link, if it works, to the relevant bit of the Guardian live blog

The White House gets its fast covid results from a "rapid test mum"?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Re: Trump has the virus

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:52 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:38 pm
Can we put all discussion on this subject in one thread? It's currently in three, two in Weighty, and one here.

I suggest Donald Trump's Health in Weighty as probably most appropriate, as it's adjacent to the US Election thread.
I'd agree that would be more convenient, though I'm not sure if it's fair at this point to ask the mods to merge three busy threads, one intermingled with other stuff.

From this point on, though, I'll aim to stick to the one in Weighty Matters

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:54 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:36 pm
You'll be glad to know that Trump* has just been driven past his supporters in the back of a car, thus proving* that he's fine and completely willing to expose his driver and other people in a closed vehicle with him for a lame stunt.

* Trump shaped person wearing a mask.
As well as the people in the SUV, that's also going to attract more MAGA hat a..eholes to crowd around outside the hospital sharing their infections. FFS!

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:59 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:52 pm
dyqik wrote:
Can we put all discussion on this subject in one thread? It's currently in three, two in Weighty, and one here.

I suggest Donald Trump's Health in Weighty as probably most appropriate, as it's adjacent to the US Election thread.
I'd agree that would be more convenient, though I'm not sure if it's fair at this point to ask the mods to merge three busy threads, one intermingled with other stuff.

We'll discuss it, but yeah it will take quite a while to individually merge all of the posts if we do, and they might look a bit mangled and confusing if people aren't directly quoting each other and stuff.

Which I suppose is a lesson to us to deal with this stuff sooner and serves us right really.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:07 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:45 pm
Yes, that is indeed what happened
NPR's host of the business program Marketplace suggested it's because the futures market opens at 6pm Eastern, 30 minutes after the stunt.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:08 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:59 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:52 pm
dyqik wrote:

We'll discuss it, but yeah it will take quite a while to individually merge all of the posts if we do, and they might look a bit mangled and confusing if people aren't directly quoting each other and stuff.

Which I suppose is a lesson to us to deal with this stuff sooner and serves us right really.
You can probably just dump the last 12 hours worth in to one thread, and lock the other. Every thing more than 12 hours old is irrelevant already... ;)

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:12 pm

How cynical.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:14 pm

It was a genuine out pouring of love for their President. The driver and secret service guys fought for the chance to be in the car with him.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:22 pm

"These guys, tough guys, never cried in their life, came up to me, Sir, please Sir, let me ride with you, they had tears in their eyes, please Sir let me sit in the hermetically sealed SUV with you coughing over me, I don't need PPE just a mask..."

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:33 pm

Hermetically sealed. f.cking hell, that's despicable. Can't think of many more dangerous places to be with someone supposedly in the early stages of the disease.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:03 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:33 pm
Hermetically sealed. f.cking hell, that's despicable. Can't think of many more dangerous places to be with someone supposedly in the early stages of the disease.
Bear in mind that LPM leaves it up to us to decide if that's a genuine quote or a lie.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:14 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:03 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:33 pm
Bear in mind that LPM leaves it up to us to decide if that's a genuine quote or a lie.
Not getting that from LPM, getting that from a doctor at Walter Reed who posted about it on twitter. That and Thrump's presidential limo being hermetically sealed wth an onboard oxygen supply is old news.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:24 pm

He's going to be fine isn't he.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:28 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:24 pm
Too early to call. Hell, there's quite a few examples of people being treated for fever, discharged, and going back and dying, likewise with them going back in and surviving, or dying before they can go back in.

About the only thing we can be certain about is that the spokespeople involved, including the doctors, are not telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:38 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:28 pm
discovolante wrote:
Too early to call. Hell, there's quite a few examples of people being treated for fever, discharged, and going back and dying, likewise with them going back in and surviving, or dying before they can go back in.

About the only thing we can be certain about is that the spokespeople involved, including the doctors, are not telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Part of this is influenced by a niggling worry about my partner's family and their very recent covid related circumstances...but mainly because I just feel like he's going to be fine. Maybe a bit of reduced lung capacity long term, but mainly fine.

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:31 am

Between covid being such a hugely variable disease and the complete inability of the White House and his doctors to tell internally consistent stories, i can't see any way to tell how he'll go. Days 7-10 seem to be the key days and he's only up to somewhere in the vicinity of day 3-5, depending on which timeline you believe.

I want to know how many other White House and campaign staffers have tested positive. We're only hearing from big name people who can't easily hide a diagnosis, and without centralised contact teaching, we will likely never know how widespread this cluster is.

I'm disappointed in Biden not taking a few days at home to demonstrate that he's being responsible after the Trump family's behaviour at the debate. He is at some degree of risk, so he shouldn't be out in public. Plus, it would be a good opportunity to get in some tasteful and restrained digs about responsible behaviour.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:19 am

discovolante wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:38 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:28 pm
discovolante wrote:

Part of this is influenced by a niggling worry about my partner's family and their very recent covid related circumstances...but mainly because I just feel like he's going to be fine. Maybe a bit of reduced lung capacity long term, but mainly fine.
Probably, yes. The chances of people dying are high at population level, but still only around 5%
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:52 am

Another great one from his doctor, Conley, in response to questions trying to figure out why Trump had been started on Dex, when it's only recommended for those with breathing difficulties.
the Guardian wrote:Doctors said on Sunday that on Friday and Saturday Trump’s oxygen saturation levels had twice dipped below 94% – the usual range being 95 to 100%. But in answer to a question about whether the level ever fell below 90%, the White House physician, Sean Conley, said it had never reached the low 80s.
my emphasis

So in all likelihood, yes, it did fall below 90%.

ETA
Trump may have looked a little paler than usual
You mean he hasn't been having his orange toner applied...

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:39 am

discovolante wrote:
I hope he recovers.

I hope he sees Biden and Harris romp home to victory. I hope he sees his financial house of cards collapse and all his dodgy dealings publicised. I hope he sees himself exposed to the world as a political and financial loser. I hope he lives for many years in extreme poverty. Dying would be a way out* for the c.nt and I want it denied him.

*With that in mind I hope the military have hidden the launch codes.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:55 am

JQH wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:39 am
discovolante wrote:
I hope he recovers.

I hope he sees Biden and Harris romp home to victory. I hope he sees his financial house of cards collapse and all his dodgy dealings publicised. I hope he sees himself exposed to the world as a political and financial loser. I hope he lives for many years in extreme poverty. Dying would be a way out* for the c.nt and I want it denied him.

Yeah, that. With added long-term effects on his energy levels and respiratory function.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:10 am

dyqik wrote:
You'll be glad to know that Trump* has just been driven past his supporters in the back of a car

I totally called it. He's regenerating. Trump is dead, long live Trump.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

secret squirrel
Snowbonk

Post by secret squirrel » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:38 am

shpalman wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:55 am
JQH wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:39 am
I hope he recovers.

Yeah, that. With added long-term effects on his energy levels and respiratory function.
That's all very well, but if he doesn't die what am I going to do with all these dancing crab memes? And don't get me started on the Ghanaian pallbearers warming up as we speak.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:56 am

As per a request and following some mod discussion, I've merged the 'Trump has the virus' thread into this one. It might be a bit confusing at first but I am leaving the topic titles in each post as they are so at least you can see what was where originally.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:59 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:10 am
dyqik wrote:
You'll be glad to know that Trump* has just been driven past his supporters in the back of a car

I totally called it. He's regenerating. Trump is dead, long live Trump.
He'll need to take three days after dying to do it properly and gee up his supporters.