LIBERATE MICHIGAN

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

LIBERATE MICHIGAN

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:48 pm

FBI announced they'd foiled a plot by a militia to kidnap Governor Whitmer of Michigan. A strong proponent of early lockdown, she's faced all kinds of threats - egged on at times by Trump. I'm glad she's safe for now, but this is the f.cking consequence of deranged, hate-filled politicians treating elected officials as traitors because they disagree on policy.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Re: LIBERATE MICHIGAN

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:56 pm

Was reading about that - the kidnap Whitmer was a) a plan to overrun the Capitol building with 200 men and 'put Whitmer 'on trial' for treason and b) being planned whilst they also planned to kill police officers.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:15 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:56 pm
Was reading about that - the kidnap Whitmer was a) a plan to overrun the Capitol building with 200 men and 'put Whitmer 'on trial' for treason and b) being planned whilst they also planned to kill police officers.
So while the local GOP rightly condemned it, Trump's campaign have put up a child-support dodging c.nt who spiked a woman's drink with abortion pill to denigrate Governor Whitmer for apparently hating Trump.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:29 am

Normal response to the unearthing of a plot to kidnap and probably murder an elected governor, and also kill police? I'll let you decide.

ETA: Not my screenshotting, but I verified and the tweets are, as of posting, Trump's most recent.

ETA2: Some of the men who allegedly planned this were among those who entered the State Capitol with weapons.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:15 am

That's not trump posting. He can't thread tweets and there aren't enough capitals or exclamation marks.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:46 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:15 am
That's not trump posting. He can't thread tweets and there aren't enough capitals or exclamation marks.
That’s probably Stephen Miller.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:57 pm

You'll be shocked to know that a) at least one of the people indicted was among the armed "protestors" (terrorists) who occupied the Michigan State House, and b) at least one of them appeared on stage in Proud Boys shirt with an elected sheriff somewhere in the boonies of Michigan.

It might be the same one, but I have trouble telling neckbearded white supremacists apart.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Come off it everyone.

This belongs in a Pathetic Terrorism thread.

These guys are idiots and their "plot" is laughable. They boasted about stuff on Facebook. They were dressing up in costumes and playing pretend. They had just as much likelihood of success as a Comic Con spiderman trying to swing from buildings.

Save it for real right wing terror threats.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:09 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:07 pm
Come off it everyone.

These guys are idiots and their "plot" is laughable. They boasted about stuff on Facebook. They were dressing up in costumes and playing pretend. They had just as much likelihood of success as a Comic Con spiderman trying to swing from buildings.

As I said, at least one carried actual weapons into the state house. It's the movement of a couple of fingers from that to a small massacre.

And as always, it's the stupid ones that get caught.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:17 pm

Yes, but everyone in America carries three or four assault rifles to the supermarket, ready to small massacre anyone who annoys them.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:18 pm

If these guys were Muslims Trump would be getting a big poll boost right now.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:24 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:17 pm
Yes, but everyone in America carries three or four assault rifles to the supermarket, ready to small massacre anyone who annoys them.
Nah. Assault rifles aren't legal in this state. But there is a privately owned light tank parked opposite my nearest supermarket (annoyingly, it's not Google Streetview)

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:53 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:24 pm
lpm wrote:
Nah. Assault rifles aren't legal in this state. But there is a privately owned light tank parked opposite my nearest supermarket (annoyingly, it's not Google Streetview)
Is it armed though? I know armoured car/light tank owners in the U.K., but they do tend to be decommissioned before being sold.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:00 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:53 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:24 pm
lpm wrote:
Is it armed though? I know armoured car/light tank owners in the U.K., but they do tend to be decommissioned before being sold.
It has a plate on it saying "MA Legal", so presumably it's decommissioned.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:22 pm

Perhaps it's made of cannabis.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:48 pm

Give it a few more years, maybe eventually it will be PhD legal.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:19 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:57 pm
You'll be shocked to know that a) at least one of the people indicted was among the armed "protestors" (terrorists) who occupied the Michigan State House, and b) at least one of them appeared on stage in Proud Boys shirt with an elected sheriff somewhere in the boonies of Michigan.

It might be the same one, but I have trouble telling neckbearded white supremacists apart.
They all look the same to me too.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:06 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:07 pm
Come off it everyone.

Low chance of success, but they could probably have killed a lot of people:
This group used operational security measures, including communicating by encrypted messaging platforms and used code words and phrases in an attempt to avoid detection by law enforcement. On two occasions, members of the alleged conspiracy conducted coordinated surveillance on the Governor’s vacation home. Fox and Croft discussed detonating explosive devices to divert police from the area of the vacation home and Fox even inspected the underside of an M-31 highway bridge for places to seat an explosive, according to the complaint. Among other activities, the complaint alleges Fox purchased a taser for use in the kidnapping and that the group successfully detonated an improvised explosive device wrapped with shrapnel to test its anti-personnel capabilities. The FBI and Michigan State Police executed arrests as multiple conspirators met to pool funds for explosives and exchange tactical gear.
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/six-arre ... r-michigan

People playing with explosives are still dangerous.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:12 pm

Dangerous to themselves, far more than to anyone else.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:12 pm
Dangerous to themselves, far more than to anyone else.
Certainly dangerous to themselves. But if they had exploded a bomb like that in a public place dangerous to others as well.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:34 pm

One guy in Las Vegas killed 60 and wounded 867. It's tough for professional terrorists to compete with America's amateur murderers. These clowns would struggle to get on the top 10 list in an average year.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:42 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:34 pm
One guy in Las Vegas killed 60 and wounded 867. It's tough for professional terrorists to compete with America's amateur murderers. These clowns would struggle to get on the top 10 list in an average year.
Er, so what you're saying here is that even real f.cking amateurs can pretty easily cause medium scale massacres.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:45 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:34 pm
These guys could easily have killed a bunch of random passers by if that's what they wanted - given the weapons they had - but I feel there is a big difference (in intent, for example) when it's a politically targeted attack on an elected leader.