The Debates

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Post Reply
User avatar
sTeamTraen
Dorkwood
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: The Debates

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:22 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:10 pm
Speaking of debates, the South Carolina debate has been cancelled after Lindsey Graham refused a COVID test - gambling with everyone's health to try and maintain a senate majority is exactly the sort of despicable sh.t we are used to from Lindsey Graham.
Is that the same as the Miami (not SC) Presidential debate that has just been cancelled? (Genuine question - maybe there's a senatorial debate or something.)
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
bolo
Snowbonk
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: The Debates

Post by bolo » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:54 pm

It's a senatorial debate.

User avatar
El Pollo Diablo
Dorkwood
Posts: 1537
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:41 pm
Location: FBPE

Re: The Debates

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 am

Anyone catch the town halls last night? Apparently Trump was on his own and still lost
Mike Patton wrote:"You overdo it sometimes. There I am, peeing on Axl Rose’s teleprompter." He looks rueful: "I didn’t really have to do that."

User avatar
Grumble
Dorkwood
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: The Debates

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:49 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 am
Anyone catch the town halls last night? Apparently Trump was on his own and still lost
A woman dared to talk back to him. I haven’t seen it but that seems to be what annoyed Trump supporters most.
I know this is vitriol, no solution, spleen venting, but I feel better having screamed, don’t you?

User avatar
Vertigowooyay
Fuzzable
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Re: The Debates

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:11 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 am
Anyone catch the town halls last night? Apparently Trump was on his own and still lost
"Flounder" would be the most charitable description.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -moderator

Apparently after Biden's town hall meeting after the cameras were off, he stayed and carried on answering more questions.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: COUNT THE VOTE. STOP THE COUNT.

Re: The Debates

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:18 am

Sounds like the main action came in the Iowa Senate debate.
I'll miss him after he's fled to Riyadh

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: COUNT THE VOTE. STOP THE COUNT.

Re: The Debates

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:27 am

I've been following the Iowa race and although I've never been to Iowa I feel I know it.

It's not true they talk about nothing but soybean and corn prices in every bar on the state. In the restaurant in cosmopolitan Des Moines they talk about soybean and corn prices. But in the other restaurant in cosmopolitan Des Moines they also talk about John Deere tractors.

I didn't stay up all night to watch the Iowa debate. But in my imagination they spent an hour discussing soybean and corn prices. The moderator then announced a complete change in topic and they spent the second hour discussing hogs.
I'll miss him after he's fled to Riyadh

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: COUNT THE VOTE. STOP THE COUNT.

Re: The Debates

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 am

Here's the video of Senator Joni Ernst (R) crashing and burning like a John Deere tractor that crashes into a field of corn and... er... burns.

For context, Theresa Greenfield's first 60 second campaign video mentioned hogs, squealing hogs and castrating hogs over 88,000 times. She was a bit vague on the price of bushel of corn, wavering between $3.68 and $3.69, and in bars across Iowa they'll have talked about how Billy-Joe got $3.69 last week but Billy-Bob only got $3.68. Joni Ernst might have met sudden death, but at least her utterly terrifying white teeth stayed fixed in their alien smile.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/sta ... 7031327746
I'll miss him after he's fled to Riyadh

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: The Debates

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 am

Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:49 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 am
Anyone catch the town halls last night? Apparently Trump was on his own and still lost
A woman dared to talk back to him. I haven’t seen it but that seems to be what annoyed Trump supporters most.
They got so annoyed that one lashed out at Biden and accused him if being like Mr Rogers. Y'know, the children's TV presenter who occupies roughly that same place in the US popular psyche as David Attenborough does in the UK.

User avatar
Vertigowooyay
Fuzzable
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Re: The Debates

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:02 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 am
Here's the video of Senator Joni Ernst (R) crashing and burning like a John Deere tractor that crashes into a field of corn and... er... burns.

For context, Theresa Greenfield's first 60 second campaign video mentioned hogs, squealing hogs and castrating hogs over 88,000 times. She was a bit vague on the price of bushel of corn, wavering between $3.68 and $3.69, and in bars across Iowa they'll have talked about how Billy-Joe got $3.69 last week but Billy-Bob only got $3.68. Joni Ernst might have met sudden death, but at least her utterly terrifying white teeth stayed fixed in their alien smile.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/sta ... 7031327746
That is a terrifying rictus grin.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

User avatar
Vertigowooyay
Fuzzable
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Re: The Debates

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:04 am

dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 am
Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:49 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 am
Anyone catch the town halls last night? Apparently Trump was on his own and still lost
A woman dared to talk back to him. I haven’t seen it but that seems to be what annoyed Trump supporters most.
They got so annoyed that one lashed out at Biden and accused him if being like Mr Rogers. Y'know, the children's TV presenter who occupies roughly that same place in the US popular psyche as David Attenborough does in the UK.
Anyone would think they view common decency, tolerance, empathy and compassion as weakness.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

User avatar
Grumble
Dorkwood
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: The Debates

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 am

dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 am
Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:49 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 am
Anyone catch the town halls last night? Apparently Trump was on his own and still lost
A woman dared to talk back to him. I haven’t seen it but that seems to be what annoyed Trump supporters most.
They got so annoyed that one lashed out at Biden and accused him if being like Mr Rogers. Y'know, the children's TV presenter who occupies roughly that same place in the US popular psyche as David Attenborough does in the UK.
Well I don’t know, but I have seen the name bandied around before now. Does the American right have a collective hatred of Mr Rogers?
I know this is vitriol, no solution, spleen venting, but I feel better having screamed, don’t you?

FlammableFlower
Catbabel
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: The Debates

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:49 am

I'm not sure which I like more, Savannah Guthrie putting Tump in his place or Mary Trump's tweet.

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: The Debates

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:42 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 am
dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 am
Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:49 am


A woman dared to talk back to him. I haven’t seen it but that seems to be what annoyed Trump supporters most.
They got so annoyed that one lashed out at Biden and accused him if being like Mr Rogers. Y'know, the children's TV presenter who occupies roughly that same place in the US popular psyche as David Attenborough does in the UK.
Well I don’t know, but I have seen the name bandied around before now. Does the American right have a collective hatred of Mr Rogers?
Yes, apparently: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fox-fred-rogers-evil/

User avatar
Gfamily
After Pie
Posts: 1858
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: The Debates

Post by Gfamily » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:36 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:42 pm
Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 am
dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 am


They got so annoyed that one lashed out at Biden and accused him if being like Mr Rogers. Y'know, the children's TV presenter who occupies roughly that same place in the US popular psyche as David Attenborough does in the UK.
Well I don’t know, but I have seen the name bandied around before now. Does the American right have a collective hatred of Mr Rogers?
Yes, apparently: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fox-fred-rogers-evil/
I can't see how a TV series that ended almost 20 years ago can be having such a corrosive effect on students brought up long since then. It strikes me that it's the people who are moaning and making the claims now are the ones who would have been more directly affected by his programs.

Maybe they're sad because they didn't get the message, don't value themselves, and hate people who do.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
jimbob
After Pie
Posts: 1785
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: The Debates

Post by jimbob » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:59 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:27 am
I've been following the Iowa race and although I've never been to Iowa I feel I know it.

It's not true they talk about nothing but soybean and corn prices in every bar on the state. In the restaurant in cosmopolitan Des Moines they talk about soybean and corn prices. But in the other restaurant in cosmopolitan Des Moines they also talk about John Deere tractors.

I didn't stay up all night to watch the Iowa debate. But in my imagination they spent an hour discussing soybean and corn prices. The moderator then announced a complete change in topic and they spent the second hour discussing hogs.
Don't be ridiculous

Potato futures would have featured heavily.

As an aside, I sort of miss waking up to Farming today's agricultural price reports. It'd probably be pretty scary at the moment, though.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: The Debates

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:08 pm

jimbob wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:59 pm
lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:27 am
I've been following the Iowa race and although I've never been to Iowa I feel I know it.

It's not true they talk about nothing but soybean and corn prices in every bar on the state. In the restaurant in cosmopolitan Des Moines they talk about soybean and corn prices. But in the other restaurant in cosmopolitan Des Moines they also talk about John Deere tractors.

I didn't stay up all night to watch the Iowa debate. But in my imagination they spent an hour discussing soybean and corn prices. The moderator then announced a complete change in topic and they spent the second hour discussing hogs.
Don't be ridiculous

Potato futures would have featured heavily.
That's more of an Idaho thing.

User avatar
jimbob
After Pie
Posts: 1785
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: The Debates

Post by jimbob » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:16 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:08 pm
jimbob wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:59 pm
lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:27 am
I've been following the Iowa race and although I've never been to Iowa I feel I know it.

It's not true they talk about nothing but soybean and corn prices in every bar on the state. In the restaurant in cosmopolitan Des Moines they talk about soybean and corn prices. But in the other restaurant in cosmopolitan Des Moines they also talk about John Deere tractors.

I didn't stay up all night to watch the Iowa debate. But in my imagination they spent an hour discussing soybean and corn prices. The moderator then announced a complete change in topic and they spent the second hour discussing hogs.
Don't be ridiculous

Potato futures would have featured heavily.
That's more of an Idaho thing.
Doh. I was reading Idaho all the way through.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
Grumble
Dorkwood
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: The Debates

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:30 pm

jimbob wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:16 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:08 pm
jimbob wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:59 pm


Don't be ridiculous

Potato futures would have featured heavily.
That's more of an Idaho thing.
Doh. I was reading Idaho all the way through.
no-one actually knows the difference. They’ve never been seen in the same room either.
I know this is vitriol, no solution, spleen venting, but I feel better having screamed, don’t you?

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: The Debates

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:34 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:30 pm
jimbob wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:16 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:08 pm


That's more of an Idaho thing.
Doh. I was reading Idaho all the way through.
no-one actually knows the difference. They’ve never been seen in the same room either.
Idaho has a better pun-based T-shirt.

User avatar
Grumble
Dorkwood
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: The Debates

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 pm

Biden got better tv ratings than trump. That is more significant than any number of polls I think. Americans are wanting to turn over to Biden to hear what he has to say and whether they actually want to vote for him IMO. Is there another way of reading this?
I know this is vitriol, no solution, spleen venting, but I feel better having screamed, don’t you?

User avatar
discovolante
After Pie
Posts: 2053
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: The Debates

Post by discovolante » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:24 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 pm
Biden got better tv ratings than trump. That is more significant than any number of polls I think. Americans are wanting to turn over to Biden to hear what he has to say and whether they actually want to vote for him IMO. Is there another way of reading this?
People who have already decided to vote for trump don't care to watch either of them?
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

AMS
Snowbonk
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: The Debates

Post by AMS » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:30 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 pm
Biden got better tv ratings than trump. That is more significant than any number of polls I think. Americans are wanting to turn over to Biden to hear what he has to say and whether they actually want to vote for him IMO. Is there another way of reading this?
Hard to tell exactly from this side of the Atlantic, but from it feels like it's morphed over the course of the year from "the Dems have picked a candidate" to "hey, at least he's not Trump" to "this reminds me of before it all went to sh.t" to "actually, Biden seems to be objectively good at this on his own merits, and not just in comparison to the current mess". Undoubtedly the pandemic magnifies the "normalness" of Biden as a candidate too, and that also helps the disaffected Republicans to vote for him too.

Also, I wonder if there's an experience factor with Biden, of how to engage with voters, that you're bound to get from someone with long Senate career plus two terms as VP. Trump was something of a novelty candidate last time round, and I'm sure his rallies are wearing a bit thin now for a lot of the non-crazies.

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: The Debates

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 pm
Biden got better tv ratings than trump. That is more significant than any number of polls I think. Americans are wanting to turn over to Biden to hear what he has to say and whether they actually want to vote for him IMO. Is there another way of reading this?
It should be added that this is despite Trump being on five NBC networks, including in Spanish, while Biden was just on two ABC networks.

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: The Debates

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:46 pm

AMS wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:30 pm
Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 pm
Biden got better tv ratings than trump. That is more significant than any number of polls I think. Americans are wanting to turn over to Biden to hear what he has to say and whether they actually want to vote for him IMO. Is there another way of reading this?
Hard to tell exactly from this side of the Atlantic, but from it feels like it's morphed over the course of the year from "the Dems have picked a candidate" to "hey, at least he's not Trump" to "this reminds me of before it all went to sh.t" to "actually, Biden seems to be objectively good at this on his own merits, and not just in comparison to the current mess". Undoubtedly the pandemic magnifies the "normalness" of Biden as a candidate too, and that also helps the disaffected Republicans to vote for him too.

Also, I wonder if there's an experience factor with Biden, of how to engage with voters, that you're bound to get from someone with long Senate career plus two terms as VP. Trump was something of a novelty candidate last time round, and I'm sure his rallies are wearing a bit thin now for a lot of the non-crazies.
Make Politics Boring Again and Any Functioning Adult 2020 are real yard signs here, and about as common as Trump signs.

To be contrasted with the Giant Meteor 2016 and and Kodos/Kang 2016 last time out.

Post Reply