International travel

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Little waster
After Pie

Re: International travel

Post by Little waster » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:12 am

shpalman wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:17 am
A covid swab is now obligatory for anyone arriving in Italy from the UK.
Meaning a return flight to Verona is now the quickest way for a British person to get tested.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:01 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:07 pm

In a month I'll be allowed to travel interstate without quarantining in both directions (pending no new outbreaks in the next few weeks). That will be the first time interstate travel has been possible since March.

I'm still not allowed out of the country, for that proper cold war vibe.

I'm rather looking forward to seeing my fambly for an early Christmas. :)

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:52 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:37 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Lydia Gwilt
Stargoon

Post by Lydia Gwilt » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:12 am
shpalman wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:17 am
A covid swab is now obligatory for anyone arriving in Italy from the UK.
Meaning a return flight to Verona is now the quickest way for a British person to get tested.
I was tested coming back into Venice airport earlier this week. Procedure as follows: pick up your bags. Follow clear signs, fill in a simple form, engage in cheerful badinage with the person checking it, sit in one of many little booths and have the base of your brain politely scraped. Wait 25 minutes for result which is 1) given on a printout, 2) sent by sms and 3) can be downloaded. Go on your merry way, rejoicing ,if negative/go into quarantine, if positive. And it's free. But apparently too complicated for the UK

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:24 pm

Lydia Gwilt wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:57 pm
have the base of your brain politely scraped.
Did you check the swab first? Apparently this is how they implant the Bill Gates chip. On the plus side, you now have excellent 5G service everywhere you go.
Something something hammer something something nail

Lydia Gwilt
Stargoon

Post by Lydia Gwilt » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:45 pm

Splendid - just what I've been hoping for - to be a human dongle

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:37 am

An outbreak of 59 cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) originated with 13 cases linked by a 7 h, 17% occupancy flight into Ireland, summer 2020. The flight-associated attack rate was 9.8–17.8%. Spread to 46 non-flight cases occurred country-wide. Asymptomatic/pre-symptomatic transmission in-flight from a point source is implicated by 99% homology across the virus genome in five cases travelling from three different continents. Restriction of movement on arrival and robust contact tracing can limit propagation post-flight.
It is interesting that four of the flight cases were not seated next to any other positive case, had no contact in the transit lounge, wore face masks in-flight and would not be deemed close contacts under current guidance from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) [1].
https://www.eurosurveillance.org/conten ... ct_content

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Coronavirus strain from Spain accounts for most UK cases
Research from scientists in Switzerland, which is yet to be peer-reviewed, has revealed that a new variant of coronavirus, known as 20A.EU1, appears to have cropped up in Spain during the summer and has since spread to multiple European countries, including the UK.

“In Wales and Scotland the variant was at 80% in mid-September, whereas frequencies in Switzerland and England were around 50% at that time,” the authors said.

The variant appeared in the UK in the middle of July when quarantine-free travel to Spain was allowed for England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. However, the new variant of the virus is now common in countries across Europe, meaning travellers to and from many countries could since have brought it back to the UK.
link to not-yet-peer-reviewed paper

Still, at least we saved the tourism industry.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:41 am

Has anyone here done the home-swab-kit 72-hours-before-travel thing?
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 pm

British Airways wants to test passengers 72 hours before departure from New York or Los Angeles, and then on arrival at Heathrow, and three days later

(Passengers who take part in the pilot will still be required to follow existing quarantine rules, even if they receive negative results for all three tests.)

Yes, testing is better than just expecting everyone to quarantine, although the testing I've booked for my trip back to Italy costs more than the travel. And I really wouldn't recommend that the UK lets anyone in from the US without extremely good reasons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54971144 (also American Airlines from Dallas)

Boss chief executive Sean Doyle was parachuted into the role in October
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:48 pm

'I've heard', from people I trust, that Kent polis are turning people away from ports and the tunnel bc unnecessary travel.
Good.
Time for a big fat one.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:04 pm

Well, good, but I hope I'm allowed to go home to Italy in December. This will mainly require RyanAir not to muck the schedule about (because the date of travel is associated with my emergency passport somehow) while a negative PCR result timestamped less than 72 hours before (I ordered an expensive 24-hour mail-in test kit earlier today) should just help me avoid having to self-isolate for 14 days when I get there. I've also booked a test for when I get to Italy, but since I arrive on a Friday it won't be within 48 hours of arrival.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:02 pm

Well the flight I booked back from the UK after Christmas but before brexit has already been cancelled, which is fun. (They've rebooked us for one at 7am in the morning, ho ho f.cking ho)
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:34 pm

Yeah my flight to England last week was at 06:30 am. That was an experience.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:36 pm

It seems weird that they're preferring to run flights at horrible times, but I'm sure They have their Reasons.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:40 pm

Those are probably the cheapest slots, while routes scheduled at normal o'clock have either been rescheduled or cancelled entirely.

I usually fly in to East Midlands but had to use Stansted this time, and in August the Saturday flights to East Midlands got shifted to the evening rather than the afternoon.

My flight back is scheduled for 08:45 am in the morning.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Are the airports still charging the same for daytime landing slots? That sounds crazy, and surely a carrier like Ryanair especially would be fighting hard on that point. Perhaps it's where the residual demand for short haul flights is. Are there still people doing business travel where they go somewhere for a day of meetings then fly home the same day?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Well I do wonder about the cost of slots these days.

There were maybe about 30 people on my flight.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:36 pm

Aer Lingus rescheduled three successive flights of mine from civilised midday slots to early morning ones that were impossible to make unless I stayed overnight. I applied for refunds but I never received them and now just can't be bothered. I used to like Aer Lingus but now I'm never going to touch them again (have gone back to Ryanair).

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:41 pm

I just chose the cheapest slot available, which was in the evening. BA from Heathrow, a rare treat for me, as it was down to Ryanair prices and means I don't have to go all through central London.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:43 pm

Parking near the airport costs about the same as the flights in this case.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:08 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:36 pm
It seems weird that they're preferring to run flights at horrible times, but I'm sure They have their Reasons.
I've been wondering about this -- eg, people on Facebook asking if it's OK to drive to the airport at 4:30am for a 6am flight, when there's a midnight-6 curfew.

My tentative explanation is that it's cheaper to run 6-8 flights per day with one aircraft compared to 3-4 with each of 2 aircraft. It could also be that slot prices haven't changed much, either due to weird market forces that are still operating, or because the CAA/airports of each country are a bit slow to react to what's going on.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Great news for a..eholes! You now have your own travel agency!