Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
basementer
Dorkwood

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by basementer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 am

science_fox wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:04 pm
I wish I lived in NZ*. It's a country I've never actually visited so I'm sure it's mostly just greener grass, but sometimes it seems like the only sensible place in the world. And somewhere that has managed to keep a lid on the 2nd wave so far. By locking down properly the first time, and tracing etc thoroughly (which requires low case numbers to do) they're back to almost normally - apart from presumably quarantining all incoming travelers. We could do this. But we won't.

*this is a more frequent thought than just during a brexit/pandemic f.ckup, it seems like a temperate, pretty, open country with sensible politicians (and hence people).
Every business and every bus displays a QR code which we are encouraged, but not mandated, to scan for the purposes of contact tracing. In many shops and restaurants there is also a signing in book for customers without the app, and hand sanitiser is everywhere. Voting in the election, everyone was given a clean pen to use once and then discard in a used-pen box as they left.
With a few exceptions such as aircrew, everyone entering the country goes into state managed quarantine facilities for 14 days where they are monitored for symptoms and tested on the third day and the twelfth. Anyone testing positive is moved to a separate isolation facility. It's inevitable that some cases will slip through eventually, but they won't flood in, and the measures are buying time.

It's no eutopia - poverty and family violence are continuing problems - but I feel at ease here in ways that I didn't in the last few years I spent in England.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:23 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... strictions summarizes some of what Conte just said about the new rules for Italy as compared to the ones from a couple of days ago.
Italy’s mayors will have the power to impose 9pm curfews in their towns and cities if necessary as the country tries to contain a coronavirus resurgence.

Restaurants must close at midnight and serve no more than six people people per table and a 6pm closure for bars that don’t serve food are also among the new restrictions announced by the Italian prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, on Sunday night.

Schools will remain open while gyms and swimming pools have a week to tighten safety measures. Some regions, including Campania, closed schools until the end of October.
Also, at a national level, contact sports competitions and matches at the sports-association level are banned, but not training. I'll need to check the actual text to be sure, but that's what he said in the press conference just now.

It's only the Lombardy region which also bans training.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:32 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:23 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... strictions summarizes some of what Conte just said about the new rules for Italy as compared to the ones from a couple of days ago.
Italy’s mayors will have the power to impose 9pm curfews in their towns and cities if necessary as the country tries to contain a coronavirus resurgence.

Restaurants must close at midnight and serve no more than six people people per table and a 6pm closure for bars that don’t serve food are also among the new restrictions announced by the Italian prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, on Sunday night.

Schools will remain open while gyms and swimming pools have a week to tighten safety measures. Some regions, including Campania, closed schools until the end of October.
Also, at a national level, contact sports competitions and matches at the sports-association level are banned, but not training. I'll need to check the actual text to be sure, but that's what he said in the press conference just now.

The actual text doesn't explicitly ban training but does say that contact sport activity can only be done individually.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:51 am

Wales Firebreak

- March-May UK lockdown was very successful, taking R down to something like 0.7
- new Wales lockdown slight looser (primary school, 12/13 year old at school after half term, uni students partly in-person learning)
- timing much better than March: Wales is signficantly lower than current England rates. Attacking early and hard is a proven global strategy
- should buy sufficient time to get to Jan 2021, longer if Wales develops a functioning track, trace & isolate service
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:51 am
Wales Firebreak

- March-May UK lockdown was very successful, taking R down to something like 0.7
- new Wales lockdown slight looser (primary school, 12/13 year old at school after half term, uni students partly in-person learning)
- timing much better than March: Wales is signficantly lower than current England rates. Attacking early and hard is a proven global strategy
- should buy sufficient time to get to Jan 2021, longer if Wales develops a functioning track, trace & isolate service
In Wales they've used CCTV footage to fine people £1000 for going 500 metres outside their own Local Authority to do their shopping.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:19 am

The Mail is reporting on a Wetherspoons pub in the North East that reported 12 members of a local football team for mixing in their outdoor area.

It's resulted in a new wave of supporters of the #boycottwetherspoons movement, but from a very different political demographic to the anti Brexit, "Tim Martin is a c.nt" originators.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:16 am

shpalman wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:23 pm

The Lombardy region has rolled this back a bit: a new ordinance will replace that bit of text in the previous ordinance, to allow "individual" training of contact sports within sports clubs. (Dancing was already on the list of contact sports as something which was allowed if done "individually" so that's what we did in last night's lessons. To be honest, it's useful stuff to do, but some of it makes little sense if you can't then put it into practice within the actual partner dancing.)

We'll have an 11pm-5am curfew though.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:03 am

shpalman wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:16 am
(To be honest, it's useful stuff to do, but some of it makes little sense if you can't then put it into practice within the actual partner dancing.)
Yeah, this is why I've been avoiding all the online content people are pushing out. If I can attend social dancing in the foreseeable future, what's the point?

I'm also very dubious about the useful application of solo drills for a partnered dance. Sure, they can help, but I often see students who practice mostly in isolation coming very much unstuck when they have to find their connection with a partner. I suspect us teachers will have a lot of work to do to undo all the bad habits people have developed whilst dancing solo, or with one regular partner, once we get back to it all.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:23 am

headshot wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:03 am
shpalman wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:16 am
(To be honest, it's useful stuff to do, but some of it makes little sense if you can't then put it into practice within the actual partner dancing.)
Yeah, this is why I've been avoiding all the online content people are pushing out. If I can attend social dancing in the foreseeable future, what's the point?

I'm also very dubious about the useful application of solo drills for a partnered dance. Sure, they can help, but I often see students who practice mostly in isolation coming very much unstuck when they have to find their connection with a partner. I suspect us teachers will have a lot of work to do to undo all the bad habits people have developed whilst dancing solo, or with one regular partner, once we get back to it all.
I'm usually a bit too far the other way, in that I try to teach everything coupled, so a few solo drills are helpful. But I can't go on weeks like this. But then for me it doesn't matter since it's not my main source of income.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:56 am

Oh yeah. In the context of proper partnered lessons, solo drills can be a really useful tool...but solo lessons without the ability to practice with a variety of partners? *Family Fortunes “nuh-nurrrr”*

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:06 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Well there's an 11pm curfew in force in Lombardy but <insert kermit drinking tea meme> it's not like in Como there's anyone out at that time anyway.

However I've heard that there might be a decree within a week to enforce a nationwide 8pm curfew.

I look forward to reading the text of the next DPCM myself anyway. Reports of what a journalist has seen in a draft get diluted amongst fake versions and rumours.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:33 pm

headshot wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:56 am
Oh yeah. In the context of proper partnered lessons, solo drills can be a really useful tool...but solo lessons without the ability to practice with a variety of partners? *Family Fortunes “nuh-nurrrr”*
Dancers with a bit of experience appreciate solo jazz in itself but I can understand if the beginners aren't interested (and I couldn't really teach any more than about half a lesson in solo jazz let alone run a course in it).

Shouldn't get solo jazz and solo lindy hop drills mixed up though (as I think our school nearly did) because they're different things but I'm not a big fan of either.

The 8pm curfew would probably knacker even that, though, so whatever.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:32 am

There's been an outbreak at La Scala with 9 members of the choir infected (plus two musical directors).

Last night a new decree was signed, and I haven't seen the full official text yet, but it's been mentioned in the Guardians difficult-to-link-to live blog
The government in Italy has now agreed on measures (see 10:01am) to limit the spread of coronavirus, Reuters said.

Measures agreed between Giuseppe Conte’s government and regional authorities ordered bars and restaurants to close by 6 p.m. and shut public gyms, cinemas and swimming pools.

The decree encourages people not to go out and to limit contacts at home with anyone outside their immediate family, but does not impose a mandatory nationwide curfew or lockdown and allows shops and most businesses to remain open.

However, service in bars and restaurants will be subject to a series of controls to limit contagion, and cinemas, theatres, gaming halls and discotheques will be closed.

The decree also directs that up to three quarters of high school teaching should be done online to limit the number of pupils in school buildings.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:34 am

There's more detail in Italian at https://www.laprovinciadicomo.it/storie ... 374822_11/ along with a link to a draft. The url is misleading, there won't actually be a nationwide curfew at 8pm.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:13 pm

It annoys me that journalists can publish a dodgy scanned-in copy of the decree before the official version is up at http://www.governo.it/
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:18 pm

Actually it's a total of 12 infections at The Stairs

https://milano.corriere.it/notizie/cron ... 3521.shtml

Doesn't stop people complaining that theatres are safe and shouldn't be shut down because there weren't any cases last month.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:28 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:33 pm
headshot wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:56 am
Dancers with a bit of experience appreciate solo jazz in itself but I can understand if the beginners aren't interested (and I couldn't really teach any more than about half a lesson in solo jazz let alone run a course in it).

Shouldn't get solo jazz and solo lindy hop drills mixed up though (as I think our school nearly did) because they're different things but I'm not a big fan of either.

The 8pm curfew would probably knacker even that, though, so whatever.
I restarted my sword class in September and it is nearly all solo drilling, or a few out of distance paired drills with face masks under fencing masks. I’ve managed to keep them interested so far, but it is hard work. Continually saying “Imagine a cut coming in from your upper left, what you do is...” without actually crossing swords doesn’t work that well. I also have some folk who are interested in starting, but I’m not really able to fit them in with my current students and maintain distancing. Gah.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:25 pm

Just use really, really long swords

HTH
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:34 am

Israel is a good illustration.

They did well with their first wave - got down to about 10 cases per day with increasing restrictions. Then they relaxed, and the epidemic took hold badly with their second wave, and now their second lockdown restrictions seem to be having an impact:

Data from ECDC https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publicati ... -worldwide

7 day averages centred on actual date by taking average of numbers on date +/- 3 days.

Dates of restrictions and relaxations from wikipedia
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:46 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:25 pm

HTH
Hmm, time for a spear class then.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:09 pm

bjn wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:46 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:25 pm

HTH
Hmm, time for a spear class then.
"For Safety's Sake - use a pike"

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Nottingham and Warrington into tier 3. It feels weird that we were nearly at 1000 cases a day, highest rate in the country and under no local lockdown and now cases have dropped we are under the tightest restrictions. I know it's the case that covid has shifted from the students into older local residents and the hospital's are struggling. But it feels like action taken far too late.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:47 am

Victoria reported 0 cases and 0 deaths yesterday. Quite a triumph after it looked like things might get out of hand back in July.
Something something hammer something something nail

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:31 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:47 am
Victoria reported 0 cases and 0 deaths yesterday. Quite a triumph after it looked like things might get out of hand back in July.
Exactly, and we got down below their peak in July, so could have done the same.

It would have needed political will and goodwill which this government lacks or has squandered