The US after Trump

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
sTeamTraen
After Pie

The US after Trump

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:09 pm

I thought this might be a useful topic to start, since the election thread is starting to accumulate post-Trump discussions.

What happens now? How does the US deal with the fact that 69 million people voted for Trump, knowing all that we know now?

My feeling is that it is important that the entire Trump Crime Family™ and associates be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. All but the frootloopiest Americans tend to have quite a lot of respect for the FBI and the institutions of justice, and there are a lot of Bush-era federal judges who will probably not hesitate to be harsh with the guy who has trashed the Republican party. Something more like Nuremburg than a Truth and Reconciliation Commission is needed.
Something something hammer something something nail

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Re: The US after Trump

Post by discovolante » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:14 pm

Do all the people who voted for Trump have the same info we do?
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:22 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:09 pm
I thought this might be a useful topic to start, since the election thread is starting to accumulate post-Trump discussions.

What happens now? How does the US deal with the fact that 69 million people voted for Trump, knowing all that we know now?

My feeling is that it is important that the entire Trump Crime Family™ and associates be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. All but the frootloopiest Americans tend to have quite a lot of respect for the FBI and the institutions of justice, and there are a lot of Bush-era federal judges who will probably not hesitate to be harsh with the guy who has trashed the Republican party. Something more like Nuremburg than a Truth and Reconciliation Commission is needed.
This.

But I fear there will be outbreaks of violence regardless. Should that be irregardless? ;)
Time for a big fat one.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:50 pm

discovolante wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:14 pm
No, obviously.

For example, they know that NYC is a wasteland of rioters and looters, as white people flee the city.

They know that Joe Biden is a puppet of communists who wants to require women have abortions.

They know that Black Lives Matter is campaigning to make white people's lives not matter.

They know that Joe Biden wants to ban Christianity.

They know that if a black woman gets a job, a white man loses a job. If a black family moves into their neighborhood, a white family has been forced out.

These are the gist of statements I've heard from the Trump activist in my lab.
Last edited by dyqik on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:51 pm

Opti wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:22 pm
Should that be irregardless? ;)
I could care less which is right.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:57 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:

Trump is not going to concede before he - inevitably, because it's the only way his brain works - makes a deal. And that deal is going to involve some kind of immunity. But that will only extend (if it even happened) to anything pertaining to the office of President, and there's enough hungry AG's out there with a sh.t ton of cases not related to that.

And Biden probably won't have the Senate, and they will try and block and obfuscate as much as they can to make him a lame duck president from the start. If he wants to prove to that 69 million that his politics can make their lives better than under Trump, he'll have to flex executive order muscle and that will cause problems all of its own. All this against a background of seething, Q-Anon led resentment and b.llsh.t.

In short - he's got a fight on his hands.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:57 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:

Trump is not going to concede before he - inevitably, because it's the only way his brain works - makes a deal. And that deal is going to involve some kind of immunity. But that will only extend (if it even happened) to anything pertaining to the office of President, and there's enough hungry AG's out there with a sh.t ton of cases not related to that.
How can he make a deal, though? What's his leverage? If he's lost he's got to f.ck off, end of.

I know he's stupid and arrogant, but he must be aware that if he remains in the US after his presidency he's going to jail. I would assume he has a plan B that involves a few months of accelerated looting before fleeing the country on some dodgy billionaire's private jet.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:07 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
sTeamTraen wrote:

And Biden probably won't have the Senate, and they will try and block and obfuscate as much as they can to make him a lame duck president from the start. If he wants to prove to that 69 million that his politics can make their lives better than under Trump, he'll have to flex executive order muscle and that will cause problems all of its own. All this against a background of seething, Q-Anon led resentment and b.llsh.t.

He doesn’t need to concede. He’s been sacked.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:08 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Conceding isn't actually a legal thing, just a tradition that signals the start of the power transition (preparations do start before the election, mind). If* Trump loses he will stop being President in January, whether he accepts it or not.

*I am not as confident as others, so I'm not going to say "when". Biden will win the vote, but the courts can still f.ck it up.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:09 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:04 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:
How can he make a deal, though? What's his leverage? If he's lost he's got to f.ck off, end of.
Armed mobs on the streets, mostly.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:17 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:07 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:
sTeamTraen wrote:

Sacked? Sacked?

What a wasted opportunity. You could have used Sir Alan Sugar's famous catchphrase.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:18 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:09 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Vertigowooyay wrote:
Meh. Wouldn't be the first time this year. A few people get hurt, a bunch of young people get incarcerated, and nothing fundamentally changes. Whatevs.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:22 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:18 pm
dyqik wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Meh. Wouldn't be the first time this year. A few people get hurt, a bunch of young people get incarcerated, and nothing fundamentally changes. Whatevs.
Yes, plus I'm not sure whether Trump saying either "Proud Boys, knock it off" or "Proud Boys, fight the Feds" s going to make much of a difference to what the RWNJs actually do.

My slightly bigger concern would be not so much armed mobs on the streets, as the rise of informal death squads, targeting for example Democratic state legislature members. But I suspect that most of the AR-15 toters are just compensating for their minuscule genitalia.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:26 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
And Biden probably won't have the Senate, and they will try and block and obfuscate as much as they can to make him a lame duck president from the start. If he wants to prove to that 69 million that his politics can make their lives better than under Trump, he'll have to flex executive order muscle and that will cause problems all of its own.
Apparently there are likely to be a couple of runoffs that could give the Democrats control of the senate, as the votes this time were so close. That (and this tweet) makes me wonder: Will there be a higher or lower Republican turnout at the runoff election? It might be higher because those Republicans who stayed at home because they couldn't stand Trump might turn out, but it might be lower if they are of the "Trump or nothing" persuasion.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (59.81 KiB) Viewed 2401 times

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:29 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:22 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:18 pm
dyqik wrote:
Yes, plus I'm not sure whether Trump saying either "Proud Boys, knock it off" or "Proud Boys, fight the Feds" s going to make much of a difference to what the RWNJs actually do.

My slightly bigger concern would be not so much armed mobs on the streets, as the rise of informal death squads, targeting for example Democratic state legislature members. But I suspect that most of the AR-15 toters are just compensating for their minuscule genitalia.
Yeah, I think lone-wolf stochastic terrorism is a far bigger risk than an actual "well regulated Militia" (and, obviously, bad enough).

I think the military would oppose a Trump coup anyway, even if certain police forces would fall somewhere on the spectrum between "turning a blind eye" and "aiding and abetting" to armed rebels.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:30 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:17 pm
Grumble wrote:
Vertigowooyay wrote:

Sacked? Sacked?

What a wasted opportunity. You could have used Sir Alan Sugar's famous catchphrase.
:lol:
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:42 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:17 pm
Grumble wrote:
Sacked? Sacked?
In case anyone here doesn't know this: Trump was the host on the US version of The Apprentice (it was at some point during filming that he made the "Grab 'em by the p.ssy" remark). So "You're Fired" is going to be trending a lot on Twitter in the next few days and weeks, presumably overwhelming the servers on Inauguration Day.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:49 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Vertigowooyay wrote:
sTeamTraen wrote:

His leverage is basically 'lets make a deal and I won't sh.t on the carpets for the next 2 months'. It's all he has, but Biden can see a hard slog ahead of him and is inheriting a fractured country in the midst of an unregulated pandemic. With so many legislative battles to fight from Jan 20th, just getting Trump out of the WH in a peaceful, smooth transition of power is going to be preferable. But obviously I don't know Joe Biden. He may think f.ck it and roll his sleeves up against the orange f.ckwit.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:51 pm

Further to the above, I'm trying to start a movement whereby we all pretend that The Apprentice was Alan Sugar's format, and "You're fired!" his catchphrase.

By 'start a movement' I mean posting here, but you know, the longest journey etc.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:02 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Yeah, I think lone-wolf stochastic terrorism is a far bigger risk than an actual "well regulated Militia" (and, obviously, bad enough).
Meh. Wouldn't be the first time this year. Americans like shooting each other.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:22 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:02 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Meh. Wouldn't be the first time this year. Americans like shooting each other.
Might not be the first time in the last 24 hrs: clicky

(I don't think it's fair to say Americans like shooting each other, but it's fair to say that many Americans are happy to put up with other Americans shooting other Americans, 'cos it means they get to own a bang bang stick that they're more likely to us on their loved ones or themselves than anyone else)

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:24 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:50 pm
discovolante wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:14 pm
No, obviously.

For example, they know that NYC is a wasteland of rioters and looters, as white people flee the city.

They know that Joe Biden is a puppet of communists who wants to require women have abortions.

They know that Black Lives Matter is campaigning to make white people's lives not matter.

They know that Joe Biden wants to ban Christianity.

They know that if a black woman gets a job, a white man loses a job. If a black family moves into their neighborhood, a white family has been forced out.

These are the gist of statements I've heard from the Trump activist in my lab.
Judging by what I've read of Trumpist postings on the internet:

They know that Democrats plan to invite the UN to occupy the US

They know Joe Biden is going to not only legalise infanticide but make it compulsory

They know the Deep State has spent the last few days stuffing ballot boxes
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:25 pm

I'll say this about the Deep State - you have to admire how they don't leave a shred of evidence behind. I mean, that's real professionalism.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:47 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:26 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:
And Biden probably won't have the Senate, and they will try and block and obfuscate as much as they can to make him a lame duck president from the start. If he wants to prove to that 69 million that his politics can make their lives better than under Trump, he'll have to flex executive order muscle and that will cause problems all of its own.
Apparently there are likely to be a couple of runoffs that could give the Democrats control of the senate, as the votes this time were so close. That (and this tweet) makes me wonder: Will there be a higher or lower Republican turnout at the runoff election? It might be higher because those Republicans who stayed at home because they couldn't stand Trump might turn out, but it might be lower if they are of the "Trump or nothing" persuasion.

Untitled.png
It would be a shame if liberal bots were to retweet that, regularly and often.

Edit: why image not appear in quotes?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:53 pm

bjn wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:47 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:26 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:

It would be a shame if liberal bots were to retweet that, regularly and often.

Edit: why image not appear in quotes?
Because it's not attached to your message like it was attached to the original, but it still has a url you can embed.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk