El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Re: Getting Brexit done

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:54 pm

plodder wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:06 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:16 pm
Lee Cain is out, rumours about Cummings and Frost next.

If Johnson is to go for a deal then he’d want them out first.
We know Johnson isn't a zealot - he doesn't appear to have any strong political principles. I think he's probably scared witless of No Deal. He's seen what happened to Cameron's legacy.
...does he have one? Apart from starting this fire in the first place, of course. And f.cking a pig.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:07 am
plodder wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:06 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:16 pm
Lee Cain is out, rumours about Cummings and Frost next.

If Johnson is to go for a deal then he’d want them out first.
We know Johnson isn't a zealot - he doesn't appear to have any strong political principles. I think he's probably scared witless of No Deal. He's seen what happened to Cameron's legacy.
Yes, I expect he is. But I also suspect that he's scared of any deal that the EU would accept. From John Major onwards the brexit zealots in the party and media have made life hell for every Tory Prime Minister. Johnson doesn't want to see his legacy being written as the traitor who sold Britain down the river just weeks before it would liberate its self from the Brussels tyranny.
time honoured solurion: kick it into the grass. We'll see handover periods, transitional states, yearly reviews etc.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:27 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:54 pm

...does he have one? Apart from starting this fire in the first place, of course. And f.cking a pig.
I think even among Tories Cameron's legacy is that he is regarded as a lazy, useless, short-sighted fool whose policies were reversed as soon as he left power.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:31 pm

And yet, it's hard not to think that he'd have done a better job than Johnson. Amazing, I suppose.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:37 pm

The alcoholic tramp who shouts at the traffic outside the railway station could do a better job than Johnson.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:41 pm

JQH wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:37 pm
The alcoholic tramp who shouts at the traffic outside the railway station could do a better job than Johnson.
Swap them over, but only if you're prepared to accept more incompetent shouting at the traffic outside the railway station.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:11 am

Cummings to leave before Christmas.

Anyone would think he’s f.cking off before he has to deal with the realities of Brexit.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:20 am

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:11 am

Anyone would think he’s f.cking off before he has to deal with the realities of Brexit.
Link here if anyone needs it: https://news.sky.com/story/dominic-cumm ... r-12130620

Best explanation I can think of is that Johnson is preparing to accept the EUs conditions and Cummings doesn’t want to be seen to be responsible.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:29 am

Weren't there rumours that Johnson won't stay that much longer anyway?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:34 am

shpalman wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:29 am
Weren't there rumours that Johnson won't stay that much longer anyway?
I doubt that’ll happen. Being PM is the one thing that Johnson believes in. He’s not going to give it up easily.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:38 am

I keep reading rumours of a new transition extension. It’s too late for that now. It would also need to be negotiated and ratified, with lots of difficult issues like the UK contribution to the EU budget. Probably harder to negotiate that over the next few days than finish the current deal.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:40 am

Unless we concede everything? Doesn’t sound likely though, impossible to spin in a positive light.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:38 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:20 am
Vertigowooyay wrote:

Link here if anyone needs it: https://news.sky.com/story/dominic-cumm ... r-12130620

Best explanation I can think of is that Johnson is preparing to accept the EUs conditions and Cummings doesn’t want to be seen to be responsible.
The Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:"In any government, you require people who are going to shake things up and come up with ideas, and he's actually been that person."
Noticeably no mention of actually accomplishing anything.

Still aren't the blue-bells lovely ...

Spoiler:
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Lydia Gwilt
Stargoon

Post by Lydia Gwilt » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:55 am

Isn't that Shipton in the driving seat? Why?

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:22 am

Lydia Gwilt wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:55 am
Presumably because of his and Cummings shared interest in shuffling old dears off this mortal coil.

Sorry I meant "herd immunity".

Although TBF Shipman is a mere amateur compared to everyone's favorite super-predictor.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:43 pm

City of London to be shut out of EU with no equivalence deal from January

Brussels looks set to lock the City of London out of European markets from 1 January, with the EU not planning on granting regulatory equivalence before the end of the Brexit transition period.

City A.M. understands the UK’s financial services firms are heading toward the default position of having to deal with individual host countries’ regulatory regimes from next year.

The decision will be a serious blow for the City of London, which wanted a fresh EU-wide deal since the UK exports around £26bn of financial services to the EU annually.

Equivalence, which gives non-EU countries access to European financial markets, is granted when Brussels rules an outside country has similar financial services regulations to its own.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak said on Monday the UK would grant equivalence to EU and EEA financial services firms, ensuring they can continue to have access to UK markets.
https://www.cityam.com/brexit-eu-set-to ... 1-january/

I remember that over the years it was often claimed that the EU had to offer the UK generous terms as the EU was dependant upon the UK financial services sector. It obviously isn't dependent now, even if it was earlier.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:00 pm

£26bn a year you say.

Hmmm that's £500m a week. I wonder what part of the NHS we'll need to cut to fill that hole?

All answers to be written on the side of a stamped-addressed bus and driven around Sunderland.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:13 pm

Little waster wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:22 am
Although TBF Shipman is a mere amateur compared to everyone's favorite super-predictor.
Because I'm more exposed to US politics, I keep reading super-predictor as super-predator.

Which a) is more appropriate, and b) sounds way cooler, like Arnie is going to try and stop you or something.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:39 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:20 am
Vertigowooyay wrote:

There are other possibilities.

Maybe Cummings had a hissy fit and flounced cos Johnson gave a lucrative govt contract to one of Hancock's mates instead of one of Dom's mates.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:28 pm

Supposedly gone already, according to Laura Kuenssberg - seen leaving Number 10 with a box https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54938050
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:30 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:28 pm
Supposedly gone already, according to Laura Kuenssberg - seen leaving Number 10 with a box https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54938050
now the front page of the bbc, he's left with immediate effect apparently.

wowzer. it's all falling apart.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:33 pm

Little waster wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:22 am
Lydia Gwilt wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:55 am
Presumably because of his and Cummings shared interest in shuffling old dears off this mortal coil.

Sorry I meant "herd immunity".

I think I saw a comment once by Cold War Steve that Shipman represents Covid in his images, as they share a habit of killing lots of elderly people.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:00 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Has anyone checked on Gwyneth Paltrow?

And does anyone really clear their desk into a cardboard file and do that movie-trope walk out the front door? Talk about a manufactured photo-op. It's so emphatically saying "I have left" that I absolutely don't believe it. There's something else afoot here.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:10 am

Martin Y wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:00 pm
Stephanie wrote:
Has anyone checked on Gwyneth Paltrow?

And does anyone really clear their desk into a cardboard file and do that movie-trope walk out the front door? Talk about a manufactured photo-op. It's so emphatically saying "I have left" that I absolutely don't believe it. There's something else afoot here.
Ostentatious is a good word
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:36 pm

Supply chain problems in Northern Ireland
The hardest aspect of the protocol remains retail food.

Under Article 5(4), Northern Ireland’s Department of Agriculture is responsible for applying the EU’s Official Controls Regulation (OCR) on food and animal products arriving from Britain.

Any lorries entering the UK from France, by contrast, will tend to be dominated by one, or a handful of categories of food, so the paperwork and costs will be simpler.

"That doesn’t work for Northern Ireland because of the way the just-in-time supply chain works," says Aodhán Connolly, chief executive of the Northern Ireland Retail Consortium.

"90% of the supermarket loads are consolidated [ie mixed]. If they are fresh loads then they can have one thousand, up to 2,000 different products. They can have, in the worst-case scenario, maybe 400 products of animal origin that will each require an export health certificate."

An export health certificate can cost between £50 and £200 depending on the product. Mr Connolly says that will make the high volume, low profit margin model of northern supermarkets unviable.

Last week, Sainsburys’ chief executive Simon Roberts told the Guardian: "If we don’t get greater clarity on the Northern Irish situation then we will see a restriction on the ranges of products we can sell. This is not one or two products in stores I am talking about, it is a substantial number of products and quite key, everyday products too."
https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-co ... 96-brexit/

Much more at the link.