Martin_B
After Pie

Re: Cummings and Goings

Post by Martin_B » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:14 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:34 am
tenchboy wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:46 am
Galton & Simpson left Tony Hancock and created Steptoe & Son; Clement & La Frenais left Bob & Terry (&Thelma) and created Porridge: Cummings & Caine...
So you're suggesting their future careers might be scrap or in prison?
Clement & Le Frenais also wrote "The Bank Job".
Not sure why I considered a film based on deceiving the authorities and trying to get away with large sums of money worth mentioning here...
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:36 pm

Guardian wrote:Neil Tweedie, who was not found to have been responsible for any leak, said of Cummings and Cain in the Daily Mail that “fear was their tool”.

“The Vote Leave mob, drunk on their success in the referendum and the election, believed they were untouchable,” he wrote. He told how Cummings, who demanded utter loyalty from special advisers to other ministers, held egotistical “spad school” Zoom meetings delivering monologues while “sitting at the end of the cabinet room table, the union flag draped behind him”.
Between this lot and Trump, satirists just can't produce anything more ridiculous than what's already there.

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:10 pm

I can't help thinking that the photo of Cummings leaving 10 Downing Street with a cardboard box is deliberately staged to make some sort of point. It's difficult to believe that, after 16 months in the job, he can really fit all his office paraphernalia into one small box (unless his desk is much tidier and minimalist than mine). And anyway, surely he could have got a minion to carry his stuff if he wanted to. The only problem is that I can't work out what point is being made, and by whom.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:15 pm

snoozeofreason wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:10 pm
I can't help thinking that the photo of Cummings leaving 10 Downing Street with a cardboard box is deliberately staged to make some sort of point. It's difficult to believe that, after 16 months in the job, he can really fit all his office paraphernalia into one small box (unless his desk is much tidier and minimalist than mine). And anyway, surely he could have got a minion to carry his stuff if he wanted to. The only problem is that I can't work out what point is being made, and by whom.
It's a flounce, with a side order of "nothing from now on is my fault".

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:27 pm

snoozeofreason wrote:
The box is big enough for a couple of notepads and a laptop*. Probably all he needs.

* plus room for his government issue stapler, hole-punch etc and his coffee mug.
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:32 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:15 pm
snoozeofreason wrote:
That was my thought too. It's a very deliberate move to have an image on record in the media.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:38 pm

It's absolutely a flounce. Loads of people have pointed out that Downing Street has several exits, and he's picked the one where the press photographers hang around.

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:52 pm

dyqik wrote:
snoozeofreason wrote:
You're probably right. He doesn't now how to flounce properly though. The cardboard box makes it look as if he's been summarily dismissed. I'd have ditched that. And broken wind through the letter box before I walked down the steps.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:13 pm

dyqik wrote:
That makes perfect sense. Since Cummings himself performed the photo-op it must have been contrived by him to serve his own purpose, and I can well imagine he fancies himself as Brexit Britain's Bismarck and intends this as his "Dropping the pilot" moment. If it all turns to sh.t then it'll be Kaiser Boris's fault and if it's a triumph then he gets to play the victim as a prophet who was not recognised in his own land. Spoiler: it'll all turn to sh.t.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:25 pm