Re: Wearing mink

Post by Tessa K » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:34 am

Squeak wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:28 am
bjn wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:46 am
Squeak wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:37 pm
I'm astonished there aren't numbers easily available comparing weight by warmth. People quantify down loft and insulation readily and the difference between wool and down *feels* really obvious.

For the itchy among us with traumatic memories of childhood wool, I highly recommend trying the new merino thermal-type clothes. As an itchy kid, I never would have believed wool could be wearable. Now, it's just about all I wear for six months of the year. Thin wool layers with a down jacket on the outside when it's properly cold and I can be sure I'll keep the down dry. And my short sleeved wool tops get a lot of wear in summer too.
Yep. I have quite a few merino pants and t-shirts. I love them. I started using them when I did a bit of arctic mountaineering in my younger days. The pants are the best. The only problem is that they aren’t as hard wearing as cotton.
But they're so much better for sweating in. And Merino fabric is utterly beautiful to sew with. It's really hard to go back to anything else now, so my sewing stash has recently got a lot more expensive. :/
I'm still a bit dubious. I have one jumper that's only 10% angora and another that's 5% cashmere and they're both a bit itchy. One of them is going to a charity shop as soon as they re-open. The other I really like so I'll wear a thick long sleeved T shirt under it.

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:43 am

Grumble wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:30 pm
Re: price of fur, there was a story a few months or a year back about how fur was now so cheap it was being used in products labelled as faux fur.
There is a Musquash fur coat in one of our wardrobes, that had belonged to my Mum. None of the local Charity Shops wanted to know about it. My wife found a Dogs home, on the internet, that accepted them to use as dogs beds.

marbling
Buzzberry

Post by marbling » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:23 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:29 am
Boustrophedon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:26 am
If the animal inside is farmed humanely and eaten for food, then I am ok with other parts of the animal being used as well. So rabbit fur is OK by me.

But farming of hunting an animal for just it's fur, or anal glands or whatever seems stupid and wasteful.
I was taught as a child how to skin a rabbit - I'm not sure I remember exactly now but it's similar to stripping a onesie off a small child.
My Mum used to exclaim 'Skin a rabbit' when she removed my clothing when I was small. I couldn't do that to my grandchildren, it just sounded too horrific. Although, being huge Peter Rabbit fans now, they might be fine with it!

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:12 am

marbling wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:23 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Boustrophedon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:26 am
If the animal inside is farmed humanely and eaten for food, then I am ok with other parts of the animal being used as well. So rabbit fur is OK by me.

But farming of hunting an animal for just it's fur, or anal glands or whatever seems stupid and wasteful.
I was taught as a child how to skin a rabbit - I'm not sure I remember exactly now but it's similar to stripping a onesie off a small child.
My Mum used to exclaim 'Skin a rabbit' when she removed my clothing when I was small. I couldn't do that to my grandchildren, it just sounded too horrific. Although, being huge Peter Rabbit fans now, they might be fine with it!
Likewise with my mum, pulling a vest over my head.

Where did she grow up? My mum was from New Zealand
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:39 am

And my Yorkshire Mum. And given that she was largely raised by a woman called Bunny, that particular childhood phrase seems particularly sinister.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:15 pm

jimbob wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:12 am
marbling wrote:
Tessa K wrote:

And mine - from the West Country. Sometimes it was 'Skin a bunny' instead of rabbit.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:15 pm
jimbob wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:12 am
marbling wrote:

And mine - from the West Country. Sometimes it was 'Skin a bunny' instead of rabbit.
I mentioned this to my recently-graduated daughter and people said that to her too.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

marbling
Buzzberry

Post by marbling » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:22 pm

Mine is from Hertfordshire, although if she got it from her Mum, she was from Bethnal Green.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:50 pm

marbling wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:22 pm
Mine is from Hertfordshire, although if she got it from her Mum, she was from Bethnal Green.
A quick Google reveals that some Americans say it too.