Re: Free school meals bill defeated - the final straw

Post by discovolante » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:46 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:41 pm
discovolante wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:34 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:20 pm
I'm confused by the crying emoji, and now wondering if I have an emoji-specific form of autism.

Sounds like Rashford is taking on various projects to help kids in the UK.
Heh, it's crying with emotion. The choice here is limited.
Well yes, but which emotion? ;) *

My guess is that you think the book club is a Good Thing, so you must be crying with approval / admiration / endorsement.

*In real life I wink all the time, for almost no reason, so I endeavour to use the emoji in the same way. In this case I'm winking with curiosity ;) ;)
I spend about an hour a day practising raising one eyebrow quizically :|

Er yes good emotion.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:15 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:44 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:50 pm
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM
I still love this turn of phrase (and of course the sentiment). I realise that I've stuck it in my sig without acknowledging Fishnut, but this is where I got it from. Thanks Fishnut!
Thank you :D
it's okay to say "I don't know"

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:43 pm

Perhaps this is churlish, but I'm not at all sure about this book club thing.

The free school meals idea worked because the government is/was not providing the money to allow schools to provide meals. Rashford's genius move was to get the government to cough up cash money, in the context of an existing infrastructure that (I assume) just needed a bit of a tweak to keep going in the school holidays, while not being overtly political. (I have no idea if he does his own social media, or if he has a PR team of 20 people headed by someone from Labour HQ --- either way he did a masterful job on this.)

But what is the premise of the book club (for which he has "teamed up with Macmillan Children's Books")?

The implication seems to be that currently, schools are not encouraging children to read enough. But I'm not sure how well that's going to go down with teachers. Presumably some of them would argue that they would do just fine if they had the money to provide more books, perhaps a bit less curriculum time devoted to Gove's jingoism, and proper funding of public libraries. But the book club is going to provide its own content, and it seems that it's not exactly going to be a cornucopia of imaginative fiction:
Metro wrote:The first book in the project will be published in May 2021 and will be called: ‘YOU ARE A CHAMPION: Unlock Your Potential, Find Your Voice And Be The BEST You Can Be’. Aimed at young people aged between 11 and 16, each chapter will begin with a story from Marcus’ own life and will cover subjects like the value of education, positive mentality, understanding culture, and female role models. It will be co-created with Carl Anka, a journalist for sports media group The Athletic, and performance psychologist Katie Warriner.
This feels to me a bit like if Rashford had attacked the school meals problem by teaming up with Jamie Oliver to open a chain of low-cost restaurants. I worry slightly that it will rebound, or fizzle out, or be spun (by its opponents) as a billion-dollar publishing company jumping on his bandwagon.
Something something hammer something something nail

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:04 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:43 pm
Perhaps this is churlish, but I'm not at all sure about this book club thing.

The free school meals idea worked because the government is/was not providing the money to allow schools to provide meals. Rashford's genius move was to get the government to cough up cash money, in the context of an existing infrastructure that (I assume) just needed a bit of a tweak to keep going in the school holidays, while not being overtly political. (I have no idea if he does his own social media, or if he has a PR team of 20 people headed by someone from Labour HQ --- either way he did a masterful job on this.)

But what is the premise of the book club (for which he has "teamed up with Macmillan Children's Books")?

The implication seems to be that currently, schools are not encouraging children to read enough. But I'm not sure how well that's going to go down with teachers. Presumably some of them would argue that they would do just fine if they had the money to provide more books, perhaps a bit less curriculum time devoted to Gove's jingoism, and proper funding of public libraries. But the book club is going to provide its own content, and it seems that it's not exactly going to be a cornucopia of imaginative fiction:
Metro wrote:The first book in the project will be published in May 2021 and will be called: ‘YOU ARE A CHAMPION: Unlock Your Potential, Find Your Voice And Be The BEST You Can Be’. Aimed at young people aged between 11 and 16, each chapter will begin with a story from Marcus’ own life and will cover subjects like the value of education, positive mentality, understanding culture, and female role models. It will be co-created with Carl Anka, a journalist for sports media group The Athletic, and performance psychologist Katie Warriner.
This feels to me a bit like if Rashford had attacked the school meals problem by teaming up with Jamie Oliver to open a chain of low-cost restaurants. I worry slightly that it will rebound, or fizzle out, or be spun (by its opponents) as a billion-dollar publishing company jumping on his bandwagon.
But is imaginative fiction what you want to encourage working class boys to read more? Non fiction is often suggested as a way to encourage boys to read more and making sure it encompasses their interests.

Obviously there's no suggestion the book club is aimed only at boys. But given that boys reading is a particular problem and both non fiction, sport and inspirational figures are often cited as effective strategies for encouraging reading for pleasure...there might actually be method there.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:10 am

I messaged my former headteacher mum (primary, not secondary) yesterday evening to ask her what she thought of it and she said she would have to get back to me later as she was watching Bake Off. She still hasn't got back to me, so we may have to live without that insight. I'll keep you posted.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:24 am

discovolante wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:10 am
I messaged my former headteacher mum (primary, not secondary) yesterday evening to ask her what she thought of it and she said she would have to get back to me later as she was watching Bake Off. She still hasn't got back to me, so we may have to live without that insight. I'll keep you posted.
This is 24-hour rolling news coverage at it's finest. Please also tell us what you're mum thought about Bake Off (on the appropriate thread).
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:58 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:24 am
discovolante wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:10 am
This is 24-hour rolling news coverage at it's finest. Please also tell us what you're mum thought about Bake Off (on the appropriate thread).
Also is there any update on what the Daily Mail's response is to Marcus Rashford's thoughts on Bake Off?
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:13 am

But what are people with five followers on tw.tter saying?

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:16 am

Sciolus wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:13 am
But what are people with five followers on tw.tter saying?
Leave me alone.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:33 am

I don't see the issue, the more the merrier surely. Doubt teachers are going to feel slighted given libraries and other book initiatives have been doing similar for years.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:53 am

Rashford tweeted yesterday about the scheme providing a bit more info.

It says,
Macmillan Children's Books are excited to announce a publishing partnership with Marcus Rashford MBE which aims to equip all children with the resources to develop life skills and overcome challenges by increasing access to books.

Macmillan Children's Books and Marcus will publis a range of titles for children aged 5-18 and will launch The Marcus Rashford Book Club, a reader recommends programme with the aim of championing the works of creatives from all backgrounds.

"Let our children read that they are not alone and enable them to dream. Equip them for obstacles and adversities they might face. Allow them to relate to the characters by making sure people of all race, religion and sex are depicted correctly and representative of modern society. The team at Pan Macmillan very much share my vision and ambition, and I am really excited to be on this journey with them" - Marcus Rashford, MBE

"I only started reading at 17, and it completely changed my outlook and mentality. I just wish I was offered the opportunity to really engage in reading more as a child, but books were never a thing we could budget for as a family when we needed to put food on the table. There were times as a child the escapism of reading could have helped me. I want this escapism for al children. Not just those that can afford it. We know there are approximately 400,000 children across the UK today that have never owned a book, children that are in vulnerable environments. This has to change. My books are, and will be, for every child, even if I have to deliver them myself. We will reach them.

Acceptance and acknowledgement is a really key focus of the project. Let out children read that they are not alone and enable them to dream. Equip them for obstacles and adversities they might face. Allow them to relate to the characters by making sure people of all race, religion and sex are depicted correctly and representative of modern society.

No matter where you grow up, talent should be recognised and championed. Under The Marcus Rashford Book Club, young writers, illustrators and creatives will be seen and they will be offered a platform to shine.

The team at Pan Macmillan very much share my vision and ambition, and I am really excited to be on this journey with them It was really important o me that I always had a seat at the table for input and collaboration and this is exactly what Pan Macmillan has offered me. There is a real family feel to this partnership and I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference we can make together".
From my reading of that it's got several aims: the first is to give books to kids who don't normally have them. Not just access to books through libraries, but actually let them own books that belong to them alone. The second is to give books that provide escapism and inspiration, to activate the imagination. And the third is to champion writers and other creators who don't normally get given a platform.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks for that Fishnut. One of my librarian friends was talking about similar schemes she's seen aimed at children, and how delighted some of those children were to own some books. Some of them had never had books of their own before.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:01 pm
Thanks for that Fishnut. One of my librarian friends was talking about similar schemes she's seen aimed at children, and how delighted some of those children were to own some books. Some of them had never had books of their own before.
It does seem like the key to it is giving the books to the kids for them to have. It's not just about literacy, it's about having something that's yours and that you love and get to read and re-read whenever you want. While libraries are fantastic, there's something quite special about it being your book.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:06 pm

The giving young writers etc a platform bit sounds good too. Nicely weaving in representation as well as giving kids books to read.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:11 pm

discovolante wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:06 pm
The giving young writers etc a platform bit sounds good too. Nicely weaving in representation as well as giving kids books to read.
Yeah, that really stood out to me to. It sounds like a pretty well-thought out scheme so far. Giving kids books that are for them both in the sense that they are written for kids like them and they get to own them is a really great way of making them feel valued.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Gonna say something else now, which might not be the right thing to do, but f.ck it.

I'm unhappy with this "no idea if he does his own social media" aspect. I don't think I've seen this really come up before. For instance, we talked extensively on here about things on JK Rowling's twitter account, but there was no "not sure who's running her account".

There's also an implication that his free school meals thing was only successful perhaps due to being "managed" by a team or by someone at Labour, and even though it includes praise it's a bit... pat on the head?

Maybe it wasn't intended to come across as patronising, but that post did not read well at all, I'm afraid.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:38 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:30 pm
Gonna say something else now, which might not be the right thing to do, but f.ck it.

I'm unhappy with this "no idea if he does his own social media" aspect. I don't think I've seen this really come up before. For instance, we talked extensively on here about things on JK Rowling's twitter account, but there was no "not sure who's running her account".

There's also an implication that his free school meals thing was only successful perhaps due to being "managed" by a team or by someone at Labour, and even though it includes praise it's a bit... pat on the head?

Maybe it wasn't intended to come across as patronising, but that post did not read well at all, I'm afraid.
Nah I'm with you on this. It bothered me too but I hadn't thought about the JK Rowling discussions which are a good comparison. Like you say it's something that doesn't tend to get brought up explicitly with other people.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:10 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:04 pm
Stephanie wrote:
It does seem like the key to it is giving the books to the kids for them to have. It's not just about literacy, it's about having something that's yours and that you love and get to read and re-read whenever you want. While libraries are fantastic, there's something quite special about it being your book.
Also just having access to a library isn't the same as wanting to use it or seeing the value of it, if you see what I mean. When I was secondary school aged I'd regularly use the library over the summer as we'd never have afforded to buy that many books each year, but it did require me to have that love of reading first, which did come from having my own books when younger.
You're right that owning a book is special, particularly if you love/enjoy it so much - I've got loads still that I did buy/was given as a teenager.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:10 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:30 pm

I always assumed he did do his own social media, until I was called hopeless naive by someone of a more cynical bent suggesting that the whole thing, starting with the first school meals call, is a stunt by Labour supporters and/or Rashford's "brand ambassadors". But I presume that if the latter was the case, the Mail would have done a hit piece on that, rather than the fact that he doesn't keep his money in a current account.

It doesn't make much difference to me, but the Tory media will want to get him to "pipe down" as they did with Greta Thunberg, so I would be interested to find out what advice he's getting (including on what to do when the backlash starts).

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:16 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:10 pm
It doesn't make much difference to me, but the Tory media will want to get him to "pipe down" as they did with Greta Thunberg, so I would be interested to find out what advice he's getting (including on what to do when the backlash starts).
That is what's driving this - stay in your place and don't tell us how to behave.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:18 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Fishnut wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:04 pm
Stephanie wrote:
Also just having access to a library isn't the same as wanting to use it or seeing the value of it, if you see what I mean. When I was secondary school aged I'd regularly use the library over the summer as we'd never have afforded to buy that many books each year, but it did require me to have that love of reading first, which did come from having my own books when younger.
You're right that owning a book is special, particularly if you love/enjoy it so much - I've got loads still that I did buy/was given as a teenager.
Very much so. Libraries are great if you know how to use them. But they can be totally intimidating if you're not used to them. I was an avid reader as a kid and loved libraries, but still to this day I feel uncomfortable and ill at ease in gyms as they don't feel like somewhere for me at all. I can easily imagine the situation reversed for a lot of people.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:24 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:16 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
That is what's driving this - stay in your place and don't tell us how to behave.
Yes, and this is why I'm a little concerned about the book club. I can imagine the Mail investigating the CEO of Macmillan Children's Books and finding she once joined a trade union or something.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:29 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:24 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:16 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
Yes, and this is why I'm a little concerned about the book club. I can imagine the Mail investigating the CEO of Macmillan Children's Books and finding she once joined a trade union or something.
And so what if she did? The Daily Mail and its ilk are always out to trash people trying to do good or "get above their station". We don't help anyone by giving in and not doing anything out of fear of bad press in press that's going to be bad regardless of what we do.

Optics are important what's really happening here is someone who sees things that would have helped them as a kid and they're now in a position of power and influence to help other kids in similar situations. Maybe it turns out to be a vanity project but even if it is, what really is the harm? A load of kids get to read about how Marcus Rashford's skill and determination got him the job of his dreams and then was able to fight the government to feed poor children. Oh the horror!

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:31 pm

why worry about the right wingers, when there are others already pissing all over it eh

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:12 pm

I see the book club as fairly apolitical, free school meals is weirdly politicised in our country by contrast. I've never yet heard Dolly Parton be criticised for giving children free books, so it would be odd for it to be an issue when someone else does it.

Also, we were recipients of the Dolly Parton books with miniocrity and some of them would probably invoke the wrath of the right wing culture war loons for their diversity and inclusiveness if they knew.