Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
discovolante
Stummy Beige

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by discovolante » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:53 pm

As of Tuesday, it will be illegal for me to travel into Edinburgh.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:42 pm

We're not allowed out the house after 1 on the weekends. Nice sunny day out, seen through the window.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:45 pm

Wow! We're really lucky. We can go 500m down the coast (nothing there) or 5km up the coast (shops/pharmacy) or 5km inland (not much there). Curfew 10.00hrs pm* to 06.00. Restaurants and bars close at 18.00hrs pm. Take-out delivery till 22.00. And 50 steps to the beach.
Freedom!

*y'know, just cos ;)
Time for a big fat one.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Alright ;)

It just feels somehow weirder to be banned from travelling to my nearest city, I dunno why. And technically it's because my area is at lower risk and therefore restrictions are a bit looser, but as far as i can see the main difference is that pubs can serve alcohol, but we now can't see our friends at all.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:13 pm

haha. We're not anywhere near a city. Our nearest big town (Estepona) is 15km away. That's, sadly, 2 municipalities away. Stuck in our own little muni. Strangely, down the coast, 5km away is a good selection of food shops. But that not only means leaving our muni, but involves crossing into a whole different Province. :o
Devolved administration is a big thing here but brings added complications. Casares municipality (next up the road) has no facilities of note, so residents there can come to ours to shop.
Time for a big fat one.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:25 pm

Interesting. I'd assumed Spanish municipalities were like portuguese ones, centred on at least a town of some size. We're only allowed to leave ours for essential work/study/health/caring etc.

But whereas PT has about 300 municipalities, Spain's got 8000 and they seem to be a lower level of government. I expect the Portuguese is equivalent of actually the freguesia, of which we have 3000 and some of the rural ones are basically just a donkey in an olive grove. My town is split into about 5 freguesias and its only about 40k people.

So um yeah the Spanish one is quite a bit stricter, again. We can stay out till 11 during the week as well ;) (but only 1 at weekends lol)

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:27 pm

And my next plant is still about a week off chop day - how?! bl..dy sativas.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:34 pm

I got a huge supply of herb and solid in just before everything tightened down.
Next year will be very different. I have a lovely roof terrace that isn't overlooked. ;)

eta: Sativa FTW.
Time for a big fat one.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:37 pm

Gah we had a roof terrace in our old place.

All I've got here is a windowsill.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:45 pm

One day, when we can, we'll pop by. Well, I say pop by, it would probably be quicker and easier to fly. But scenery. We'll drive.
Time for a big fat one.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:00 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:25 pm
So um yeah the Spanish one is quite a bit stricter, again. We can stay out till 11 during the week as well ;) (but only 1 at weekends lol)
Some bits of Spain. Here in Majawkah* the cafeterías** and restaurants are open (only the "wet bars" without food are closed), as are all the shops; the curfew starts at midnight; and we can drive where we like for a day out. Infections are running at about 200 per 100k people per 14 days, so under half the UK level --- but more importantly, almost everyone is wearing a mask, inside and out.

* With the exception of one town of 40,000 people which got locked down after hitting 450 cases/100k/14 days. But that's 50km from here. For reference, Majawkah is almost exactly the same size as Essex.

** A Spanish cafetería is like a cross between an English cafe, a French bistro, and an Italian bar. A 3-course lunch can be had for as little as 10 Euros including (in some places) essentially unlimited wine***, which . Egg and chips is often one of the main course options. Spanish working-class food is much closer to British working-class food than I would have imagined.

*** In Palma you usually just get "a drink" thrown in, but in smaller towns they just plonk (DYSWIDT?) a litre bottle of red wine on the table. This is usually accompanied by a bottle of fizzy lemonade, which you are meant to mix 50-50 with red wine. It's hilarious to explain this to French tourists.
Something something hammer something something nail

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:02 pm

That'd be grand - or maybe we'll pop by first! ;)

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:15 am

Strict new tier-system coming
It is understood the 10pm forced closing time on pubs and restaurants will be extended but that people will given an extra hour to finish the drinks and food they have already purchased.
IT'S NOT A f.cking LOCKDOWN IF YOU'RE GOING TO THE PUB
Seventy MPs say PM must prove new Covid curbs ‘will save more lives than they cost’

They wrote: “We cannot support this approach further unless the government demonstrates the restrictions proposed for after 2 December will have an impact on slowing the transmission of Covid, and will save more lives than they cost.

“To this end, government must publish a full cost-benefit analysis of the proposed restrictions on a regional basis so that MPs can assess responsibly the non-Covid health impact of restrictions, as well as the undoubted impact on livelihoods.”
How does not being allowed to go to the pub kill hundreds of people a day exactly?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Oooh, I know the answer to this one:

"The effect of closing pubs early on virus transmission is basically zero, as is the probability it'll kill people. The measures should be a lot stricter, closing pubs entirely to reduce the transmission of the virus while providing additional financial support to those workplaces to avoid having a negative impact on lives."

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:49 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:39 pm

headshot wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:56 pm
A Shag event in South Carolina (without any masks or social distancing measures - go figure...) has so far been responsible for 90 infections and 4 deaths.

Social dancing is the worst possible activity in these times: https://www.facebook.com/Azartony/posts ... 4764316284
“We did not install a dancefloor, because the city protocols say ‘No Dancing’,” he said.

“But you see, I saw Footloose, so I knew that you couldn’t really outlaw dancing.

“But seriously, there never was a packed dancefloor like most of our events.
stupid f.ckers
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:47 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:32 pm

FFS. My car is due its MOT this month and I can't see what the rules are re lockdown. One of the exemptions is 'to meet a legal obligation', but that simultaneously feels like a bit of a stretch but would also be a bit unfair if they just said we had to SORN it until lockdown was over/something was sorted out...

Maybe the garage will know, eventually. You'd hope the gov would issue some guidance to garages.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:55 pm

I had a couple of small moments of Schadenfreude today as both Tom Harwood and Iain Dale had to deal with numerous foaming-at-the-mouth followers who declared them sellouts, traitors, and the rest, because they expressed modest support for the lockdown. Some of the #KBF frootloops are absolutely through the looking glass.
Something something hammer something something nail

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:44 am

discovolante wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:32 pm
FFS. My car is due its MOT this month and I can't see what the rules are re lockdown. One of the exemptions is 'to meet a legal obligation', but that simultaneously feels like a bit of a stretch but would also be a bit unfair if they just said we had to SORN it until lockdown was over/something was sorted out...

Maybe the garage will know, eventually. You'd hope the gov would issue some guidance to garages.
Do you happen to have any local garages that will do MOT with collect & deliver?

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:09 am

discovolante wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:32 pm

Last time they gave you a six month extension (source: my mum). I wouldn't rely on it till you know for sure, but it looks good for you not having to do it for a while.

Beaker
Stargoon

Post by Beaker » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:57 am

My van is due MOT, but I will be booking it in

Businesses allowed to remain open:
petrol stations, automatic (but not manual) car washes, vehicle repair and MOT services, bicycle shops, and taxi and vehicle hire businesses

Public Services:
getting an MOT, if you need to drive when lawfully leaving home

Available here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-l ... emain-open

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:21 am

Thanks, although I'm in Scotland so the rules aren't identical. I'll keep looking though because we have er, left it a bit late. Collection may be an option.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:54 am

I broadly agree with MOTs going ahead, better to have a small risk in passing your car for a test than have a potentially dangerous car on the road while the NHS is under this amount of strain. I managed to get mine tested during the first lockdown even while shielding, via dropping my car off at my Dad's, adding him to my insurance and then picking it up again after. It was low risk to me because my Dad had been isolating for a few weeks beforehand, and we took the time to wipe the interior and doors down with disinfectant before and after (so as not to put the MOT tester at risk). We did have to go to a different garage than usual as the normal one was being difficult. We've now moved our custom to the new garage completely (although admittedly, my Dad being a mechanic, they wouldn't get much out of us :lol: )
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.