Backbench Tory pressure groups

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Grumble
Light of Blast

Backbench Tory pressure groups

Post by Grumble » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:54 pm

I’m somewhat alarmed to learn that my MP, who I’d mainly thought of as a bit wet previously, is the only one in all three new backbench groupings.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other

I don’t necessarily object to the headline of the Northern Research Group, but the Common Sense Group sounds properly reactionary and the COVID Recovery Group sound like a bunch of anti-lockdown cranks.

Can I go back to having a non-descript MP rather than a crank?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Turdly
Clardic Fug

Re: Backbench Tory pressure groups

Post by Turdly » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:02 pm

I think Wragg is happy just to be part of a gang, any gang, hence his membership of all of them.
briefly Stephanie's favourite user

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:57 am

Is there any official list of members for those groups? I'm struggling to find anything online and many articles talk about people remaining anonymous "because they work in the government" which surely makes it more important we know who they are, not less?

For the COVID Recovery Group wiki has the 12 named members as:
Adam Afriyie
Steve Baker
Harriett Baldwin
Graham Brady
Nus Ghani
Chris Green
Mark Harper
Philip Hollobone
Ben Spencer
Philippa Stroud
Robert Syms
William Wragg

The Guardian has the letter the Northern Research Group sent to Johnson with the following signatories:
Aaron Bell
Alexander Stafford
Andrew Percy
Anthony Higgenbotham
Ben Bradley
Chris Green
Christian Wakefield
Craig Whittaker
David Davis
David Jones
David Morris
David Mundell
Ester McVey
Imran Ahmad Khan
James Daly
James Davies
James Grundy
Jason McCartney
John Stevenson
Julian Sturdy
Karl McCartney
Kieran Mullen
Lee Anderson
Mark Eastwood
Mark Jenkinson
Mark Logan
Mark Menzies
Mary Robinson
Nick Fletcher
Paul Howell
Paul Maynard
Peter Gibson
Philip Davies
Robbie Moore
Robin Goodwill
Robert Largan
Sara Britcliffe
Simon Clark
Simon Fell
William Wragg

Sir John Hayes wrote about setting up the Common Sense Group in the Express and states that "So far, thirty six MPs and five Peers have joined us" but doesn't give their names. I found the letter reproduced here but it doesn't list the signatories beyond John Hayes.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:54 am

Fishnut wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:57 am
Is there any official list of members for those groups? I'm struggling to find anything online and many articles talk about people remaining anonymous "because they work in the government" which surely makes it more important we know who they are, not less?

For the COVID Recovery Group wiki has the 12 named members as:
Adam Afriyie
Steve Baker
Harriett Baldwin
Graham Brady
Nus Ghani
Chris Green
Mark Harper
Philip Hollobone
Ben Spencer
Philippa Stroud
Robert Syms
William Wragg

The Guardian has the letter the Northern Research Group sent to Johnson with the following signatories:
Aaron Bell
Alexander Stafford
Andrew Percy
Anthony Higgenbotham
Ben Bradley
Chris Green
Christian Wakefield
Craig Whittaker
David Davis
David Jones
David Morris
David Mundell
Ester McVey
Imran Ahmad Khan
James Daly
James Davies
James Grundy
Jason McCartney
John Stevenson
Julian Sturdy
Karl McCartney
Kieran Mullen
Lee Anderson
Mark Eastwood
Mark Jenkinson
Mark Logan
Mark Menzies
Mary Robinson
Nick Fletcher
Paul Howell
Paul Maynard
Peter Gibson
Philip Davies
Robbie Moore
Robin Goodwill
Robert Largan
Sara Britcliffe
Simon Clark
Simon Fell
William Wragg

Sir John Hayes wrote about setting up the Common Sense Group in the Express and states that "So far, thirty six MPs and five Peers have joined us" but doesn't give their names. I found the letter reproduced here but it doesn't list the signatories beyond John Hayes.
I'd love to know where all those Northern Research Group MPs come from. Aaron Bell, for instance, grew up in Kent and went to Oxford. Truly, he doth know the issues the north of England faces.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:35 pm

They're just trying to find out where "the North" is. They've heard about it quite a bit lately.

Imrael
Snowbonk

Post by Imrael » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:48 pm

Why do Tories have groups but Labour have factions? Is it for the same reason Europe has governments but Africa has regimes?

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:57 pm

TimW wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:35 pm
They're just trying to find out where "the North" is. They've heard about it quite a bit lately.
Expect the 'economic North' to expand southwards.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:18 pm

I did a check on all the MPs there, and to be fair it's only the first two who are fully southern. David Davis was born in York but grew up in London, so he's pretty much southern as well. There's two midlanders, three Scots, two Welsh, one Northern Irish, four where it isn't clear, and one where he's discounted from any northern-ness, because he's such a gigantic c.nt (Philip Davies). The rest are all northerners, at least 24 of them.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:38 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:18 pm
I did a check on all the MPs there, and to be fair it's only the first two who are fully southern. David Davis was born in York but grew up in London, so he's pretty much southern as well. There's two midlanders, three Scots, two Welsh, one Northern Irish, four where it isn't clear, and one where he's discounted from any northern-ness, because he's such a gigantic c.nt (Philip Davies). The rest are all northerners, at least 24 of them.
I wish people were discounted from northernness for being c.nts, but despite our best efforts we haven’t sent them all to London yet.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:42 pm

TimW wrote:
You're being unfair. They're well aware it's the other side of Watford.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pm

JQH wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:42 pm
TimW wrote:
You're being unfair. They're well aware it's the other side of Watford.
Ah, the Watford Gap, never been but I imagine it looks something like this:
fiery pit.jpg
fiery pit.jpg (11.19 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Imrael
Snowbonk

Post by Imrael » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Well actually :)

To engage Pedant mode, Watford (town in Hertfordshire) is a fair bit south of Watford Gap (Northamptonshire). When commuting is allowed I drive past Watford Gap daily - sadly much less interesting than your idea.

</pedant>

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:48 pm

There;'s an old joke about the ERG not being particularly European and not doing any Research.

Presumably I can just TUPE that straight over to the Common Sense Group?
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:08 pm

Imrael wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:57 pm

To engage Pedant mode, Watford (town in Hertfordshire) is a fair bit south of Watford Gap (Northamptonshire). When commuting is allowed I drive past Watford Gap daily - sadly much less interesting than your idea.

</pedant>
bl..dy hell, all this time I thought Watford Gap was, like, a gap near to Watford. I realise now that I'd never even thought about what it would be a gap in.

Why yes I am from the south, how did you know?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

geejaytee
Clardic Fug

Post by geejaytee » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:42 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:08 pm
Imrael wrote:

</pedant>
bl..dy hell, all this time I thought Watford Gap was, like, a gap near to Watford. I realise now that I'd never even thought about what it would be a gap in.

It's quite a handy gap*, as the Roman Watling Street (the modern A5), the Grand Union Canal, the West Coast Mainline and the M1 motorway all pass through it on their way northwards: https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=4 ... pp=map.srf

*In a low range of hills

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:42 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Imrael wrote:
</pedant>
It is, but not that Watford
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Here's one of your covid recovery group members:
Steve Baker who pushed for Brexit despite all impact assessments saying it will devastate our economy, and pushed to leave the ECHR (by repealing the Human Rights Act)...

...Is now demanding an economic impact assessment for lockdown and complaining that it violates the ECHR.
Conservative MP Steve Baker said on BBC Radio 4's Today Programme that England’s nationwide lockdown is “a major infringement on a right to a family life. I'm looking at the European Convention on Human Rights as I speak to you."

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Imrael wrote:

</pedant>

You're far from alone. In my student days, as a South Warwickshirean at a very southern university, I used to be frequently accused of being a northerner. When I denied the charge, the accuser would insist I was from north of the Watford Gap and therefore counted. And they were, every one, completely astounded when I pointed out that while I was indeed from north of Watford, my home village was actually a frazzle further south than Watford Gap.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:29 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:38 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
You're far from alone. In my student days, as a South Warwickshirean at a very southern university, I used to be frequently accused of being a northerner. When I denied the charge, the accuser would insist I was from north of the Watford Gap and therefore counted. And they were, every one, completely astounded when I pointed out that while I was indeed from north of Watford, my home village was actually a frazzle further south than Watford Gap.
Mrs sTeamTraen thinks the north starts at the M4. She grew up in Hounslow and Swansea.
Something something hammer something something nail

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:39 pm

Went to Uni at Bristol. Knew someone from Exeter who believed that Bristol was in the North until he got there - then decided it started at Gloucester !!
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:29 pm
bagpuss wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mrs sTeamTraen thinks the north starts at the M4. She grew up in Hounslow and Swansea.
The M4 is my barrier to the north too, as a result of growing up near Bristol (though I still have to check which one is the M4 and which is the M5). And anything past Swindon is east.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:39 pm
Went to Uni at Bristol. Knew someone from Exeter who believed that Bristol was in the North until he got there - then decided it started at Gloucester !!
Whereas just outside Ullapool is this roadsign
N S divide.PNG
N S divide.PNG (613.89 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
Meta? I'd say so!

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
bagpuss wrote:

The M4 is my barrier to the north too, as a result of growing up near Bristol (though I still have to check which one is the M4 and which is the M5). And anything past Swindon is east.
Snap!

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:39 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
bagpuss wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I remember a cider fuelled afternoon with a local on Isle of Purbeck (Square and Compass, Worth Matravers, truly unique pub) where he proclaimed "The North? The North? The North starts at Wareham Bridge!"

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:49 pm

jdc wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:07 pm
Here's one of your covid recovery group members:
Steve Baker who pushed for Brexit despite all impact assessments saying it will devastate our economy, and pushed to leave the ECHR (by repealing the Human Rights Act)...

...Is now demanding an economic impact assessment for lockdown and complaining that it violates the ECHR.
Conservative MP Steve Baker said on BBC Radio 4's Today Programme that England’s nationwide lockdown is “a major infringement on a right to a family life. I'm looking at the European Convention on Human Rights as I speak to you."
He's so keen in the importance of the right to a family life, he voted against allowing lone migrant children to be relocated with close relatives in the UK.

I was born 500 m from the English Channel. You're all northerners.