New publishing 'approach'

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

New publishing 'approach'

Post by Allo V Psycho » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:24 pm

Anyone come across this? in my opinion it looks like 'recycle your article with a different title, and pay us to publish it'

Cheers,

AvP
Date: 8 December 2020 at 10:36:23 GMT
To: Dr A v Psycho
Subject: [EXT] Powering trains by clockwork, wound up by wind turbines

Dear Dr. Psycho

I hope my email finds you well during these challenging global times.

Please excuse the direct nature of this contact, however I would like to speak with you regarding your work on clockwork trains

Research Outreach work in collaboration with research teams assisting with their Public Outreach activity, through means of a professionally produced series of publications and articles aimed at a broader audience.

I understand Public Outreach is a very important issue within the research community - where it is often difficult to obtain large numbers of views and interactions.

We are currently working on our March 2021 edition. This publication will feature a wide variety of science disciplines, including approximately 28 research articles. We would like you to be one of those featured.

My suggestion is that we might create a new article, possibly covering some basic details of the published paper I have seen online, or indeed, covering new ground or the wider scope of your work. This would be an entirely new article written and developed by Research Outreach, in close collaboration with you.

Research Outreach distributes all content, publications and your individual article, across major Social Media platforms, as well as our own website. Your work will be seen by a large and quantifiable global audience.

We work with all academics on a non-profit making level, all content we produce is free to share and can be downloaded by any reader. Our website is entirely transparent and answers any questions you may have.

I have briefly looked over the details of your work and believe Research Outreach to be an effective platform to communicate your outreach requirements.

We publish under the Creative Commons Licence and you will own the copyright to your published material, and we can send you a separate PDF download, to be used on your web-page, at events, conferences, or as outreach material for students etc.

Please have a look at our website for examples of the publications we produce and further detail on our objectives and services:

www.researchoutreach.org

I can assure you the entire process requires very little work on your part, less than 1 hour of your time to approve the content we create over a 10-week editorial process.

Some of the services we provide are paid for, this means there is a cost to you if you decide to take part. I would be delighted to explain this and our editorial process. I understand your time is limited.

Rather than writing any further detail, could we please find 5 minutes to discuss?

During our call, I can answer any questions you may have and explain in detail the requirements and cost for taking part and of course the benefits of doing so.

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,

A Person

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: New publishing 'approach'

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:53 pm

I've had them about past theses/dissertations, and my PhD title, and IIRC an article. Not sure if it was that specific company, but something like it.

The pressure to produce a publications list to be weighed rather than read probably makes those kinds of things quite attractive, e.g. if I had an unpublished dissertation I could make it look like a paper instead. Or I guess you could just send them a load of bobbins, à la "Get me off your f.cking mailing list".
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:59 am

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:24 pm
Anyone come across this? in my opinion it looks like 'recycle your article with a different title, and pay us to publish it'

Cheers,

AvP
Looks like a glossy science magazine for more popular consumption where you pay for an article about your research included.
Here grows much rhubarb.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:08 pm

This bit is key, I feel.
Some of the services we provide are paid for, this means there is a cost to you if you decide to take part.