After Pie

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Little waster » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:27 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:08 am
monkey wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:00 am
Trump's conceded (sort of).
Some saying that's obviously a "Deepfake" video; you can tell by the 'colour of the tie' or something.
"Length of tie" shirley?

I for one subscribe to the Second Yard Theory, where the tie has been digitally altered so it only dangles to his knees rather than majestically trailing several steps behind him like the train of a modern-day Roman Emperor. 8-)
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:40 pm

“Democrats are a cult!”
Said the swivel-eyed man dressed head-to-toe in Trump memorabilia, before charging the armed policemen while wielding a Confederate Flag screaming something about "Anti-American liberal Devil-worshipping atheist pedo-cannibal traitors".
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:56 pm

Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:34 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:46 am
Surprise surprise, the BBC reports the words as if it's not been obviously edited.

He simply did not say the sentence in bold. Others have faked the video to make it appear he says this sentence.
President Trump returned to Twitter on Thursday following a 12-hour freeze of his account.

"Now Congress has certified the results a new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th," the Republican said in a video, without mentioning Biden by name.

His message was the closest he has come to a formal acceptance of his defeat after weeks of falsely insisting he actually won the election in a "landslide".
I agree, it’s like a section has been cut from another video entirely. The view switches back afterwards.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:48 pm

Looks like he's wrestled his phone back...
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 14.47.40.png
Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 14.47.40.png (97.41 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:51 pm

Thanks for the good wishes, all. My friend's boyfriend is out of the hospital and doing well. Breaks and bruises, but nothing that won't heal.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:09 pm

bolo wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:51 pm
Thanks for the good wishes, all. My friend's boyfriend is out of the hospital and doing well. Breaks and bruises, but nothing that won't heal.
Good to hear.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:12 pm

headshot wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:48 pm
Looks like he's wrestled his phone back...
Trouble is, he's not wrong. His supporters are not going to go quietly. Mike Adams for example is still questioning the legitimacy of the election and it will only get worse if/when Biden steps down and Harris becomes President.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:13 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:34 pm
lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:46 am
Surprise surprise, the BBC reports the words as if it's not been obviously edited.

He simply did not say the sentence in bold. Others have faked the video to make it appear he says this sentence.
President Trump returned to Twitter on Thursday following a 12-hour freeze of his account.

"Now Congress has certified the results a new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th," the Republican said in a video, without mentioning Biden by name.

His message was the closest he has come to a formal acceptance of his defeat after weeks of falsely insisting he actually won the election in a "landslide".
I agree, it’s like a section has been cut from another video entirely. The view switches back afterwards.
Yeah, it isn't just a switch of camera during a single take, it was an edit. Two separate sentences. Now Congress has certified the results. A new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th.

And you can tell it's fake because a tie wouldn't wave like that if it was really on the moon. No, really, you can at least tell it's not Trump's words because it's in sentences and he doesn't do sentences. Not the spoken kind anyway.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:23 pm

bolo wrote:
That's really good news
it's okay to say "I don't know"

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:59 pm

I have finally something in common with Trump. To all of you who have asked, I too will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Glad to hear that, bolo.

In other news - it seems that many of those who took part in the insurrection and did so with so much glee and fervour they forgot that maybe other people wouldn't consider them heroic freedom fighters are now being tracked down:
As he strolled past gold-framed portraits of past Congressional leaders, one rioter who stormed the Capitol in a pro-Trump mob on Wednesday wore a red Trump hat, a commemorative sweatshirt from the president’s inauguration and a lanyard around his neck.

When a photo of him went viral, it didn’t take Internet sleuths long to realize that the lanyard held his work badge — clearly identifying him as an employee of Navistar Direct Marketing, a printing company in Frederick, Md.

On Thursday, Navistar swiftly fired him.
One Texas woman who flew by private jet to take part tweeted and livestreamed it all... saying it was apparently, "the best day of my life"

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:53 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:59 pm
I have finally something in common with Trump. To all of you who have asked, I too will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.
To all of you who have asked, I will be going to the liquor store before the Inauguration on January 20th.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:57 pm

bolo wrote:
Good to hear. Sadly his colleague didn't live.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:07 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:01 pm
In other news - it seems that many of those who took part in the insurrection and did so with so much glee and fervour they forgot that maybe other people wouldn't consider them heroic freedom fighters are now being tracked down:
As he strolled past gold-framed portraits of past Congressional leaders, one rioter who stormed the Capitol in a pro-Trump mob on Wednesday wore a red Trump hat, a commemorative sweatshirt from the president’s inauguration and a lanyard around his neck.

When a photo of him went viral, it didn’t take Internet sleuths long to realize that the lanyard held his work badge — clearly identifying him as an employee of Navistar Direct Marketing, a printing company in Frederick, Md.

On Thursday, Navistar swiftly fired him.
One Texas woman who flew by private jet to take part tweeted and livestreamed it all... saying it was apparently, "the best day of my life"
These people are totally within a bubble where 100% think they are heroes. They expected - and got - the praise of every single member of their tribe. It's a fundamental flaw in humans, where every concentration camp guard reinforces and supports every other concentration camp guard.

Why hide your face when you are being heroic? The whole point was to be admired.

And a bunch of them were monetising their actions - live broadcasting to subscribers/donors.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:08 pm

I’m not sure we shouldn’t start a new thread about the storming on the Capitol? But while I’m here, this is so funny: https://twitter.com/mrskhandicoated/sta ... 80326?s=21
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:08 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:59 pm
How about golfing in Scotland?
FlammableFlower wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:01 pm

All power to the little guy, that'll show the sneering elites who treat them with contempt.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:21 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:08 pm
I’m not sure we shouldn’t start a new thread about the storming on the Capitol? But while I’m here, this is so funny: https://twitter.com/mrskhandicoated/sta ... 80326?s=21
Clearly yet another false-flag Antifa deep-state anarchist.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:12 pm

And as an alternative to all the giggles
https://twitter.com/aungeliquefox5/stat ... 00194?s=21

A relative of one of the people who died. Watch to the end.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:27 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:07 pm
... It's a fundamental flaw in humans, where every concentration camp guard reinforces and supports every other concentration camp guard...
Not everyone. I recommend the autobiographical "Commandant at Auschwitz". In the time he was prisoner waiting to be condemned and executed he reflected on his own way into the horrible bubble.

Horrible. Highly recommended.

Available from Amazon and others.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am

Google is also banning Parler, and Parler is down anyway (maybe AWS that hosts it has had a visit from the FBI?)

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:11 am

dyqik wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am
Google is also banning Parler, and Parler is down anyway (maybe AWS that hosts it has had a visit from the FBI?)
It was considerate for all the terrorists to gather their plans and confessions all in one place. It saves so much time and bureaucracy.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:37 am

rps20210109_073434.jpg
rps20210109_073434.jpg (563.85 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:48 am

warumich wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:42 pm
Little waster wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:51 pm
lpm wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:24 pm

This clip will always be my favourite.

Reports say one of the people who died accidentally tasered himself and had a heart attack.

It's very much a four lions sort of a revolution.
Tut, tut haven't a thousand chin-stroking Guardian articles taught us that we shouldn't call out racists fuckwits on their racism and f.ckwittery.

No they should be pandered to and told they have legitimate greviances and that their unhinged delusions should be taken seriously and their Will must be implemented at any cost and under no circumstances should they ever be confronted..

If we do that then nothing but good things happen.
But the Guardian is still one of the few places that commissions pieces from people who know what the f.ck they're talking about. The wider conversation about taking into account the backgrounds and circumstances of the racist fuckwits as a means of countering them and their influence is based on sound social science research. There's no silver bullet, but talking to them, taking them seriously and addressing those of their grievances that are legitimate is still the only real way we have of persuading people that what they're doing is maybe not helping and then de-escalating the whole situation. This is not indulging anyone's racism or liberal Guardian chin stroking. But certainly shouting "you're a racist f.cker" is guaranteed to almost never help.
While I am very much in agreement with this, it's worth remembering that the f.ckers that did this aren't the poor and the downtrodden. They are white collar, middle management or business owners, people who work in marketing and programming. Their grievances often boil down to "other people aren't held down enough so I can feel special". It's a similar dynamic to Islamic extremists, Hindu extremists, and, I'd wager, most extremism rooted in an identity, be it a race, nationality or religion.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:37 am

Thread split from the US election thread.