US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:54 pm

If they gave a tour to a number of insurrectionists the day before the sh.t hit the fan it’s difficult to see how they could not know
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:54 pm
If they gave a tour to a number of insurrectionists the day before the sh.t hit the fan it’s difficult to see how they could not know
Giving tours is the sort of thing politicians do though. It’s a low cost way to make voters feel special. Though that leads to the question why would a politician want to be close to that kind of voter.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:13 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 pm
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:54 pm
Giving tours is the sort of thing politicians do though. It’s a low cost way to make voters feel special. Though that leads to the question why would a politician want to be close to that kind of voter.
If it was more than one insurrectionist one day before the sh.t hit the fan and if they are one of the ones who dodge metal detectors and scream voter fraud it’s difficult to imagine it as a coincidence but I’d be happy for a criminal investigation to clarify

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 pm

Apparently the 5th January guided tours were so unusual that they were reported on the day. 3o lawmakers now demanding answers

Letter and article here

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/ ... 78506?s=21

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:51 pm

It's maybe worth recalling how Trump reacted to the 2012 re-election of Obama:
He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 7, 2012

The phoney electoral college made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one!

We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. Our nation is totally divided!

Lets fight like hell and stop this great and disgusting injustice! The world is laughing at us.

More votes equals a loss...revolution!

This election is a total sham and a travesty. We are not a democracy!

Our country is now in serious and unprecedentedtrouble...like never before.

The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.

https://mashable.com/2012/11/06/trump-r ... urope=true
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:54 pm

I fondly remember watching Obama vs Romney in a dive bar in Albuquerque.

A Brummie friend and I were drinking cans of beer and roasting Romney and other prominent Republicans, quite a bit louder than we thought and ended up drawing an approving audience.

Donald Trump was barely on my radar back then, of course. I doubt I knew about his tweets. Simpler times.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:59 am

He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country
I know this was likely said by Trump early in the count, but Obama won the popular vote in 2012 by almost 5 million votes.
Here grows much rhubarb.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 am

Chris Preston wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:59 am
He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country
I know this was likely said by Trump early in the count, but Obama won the popular vote in 2012 by almost 5 million votes.

There was someone who won the Electoral College despite losing the popular vote though. Name's on the tip of me tongue ...
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:35 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:51 pm
It's maybe worth recalling how Trump reacted to the 2012 re-election of Obama:
He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country!

The phoney electoral college made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one!

We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. Our nation is totally divided!

Lets fight like hell and stop this great and disgusting injustice! The world is laughing at us.

More votes equals a loss...revolution!

This election is a total sham and a travesty. We are not a democracy!

Our country is now in serious and unprecedentedtrouble...like never before.

The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.

https://mashable.com/2012/11/06/trump-r ... urope=true
But no word yet if the House of Reps even know who the fanatic guy on Twitter is.

And if only they still didn't know.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:07 am

On Dec. 8, someone made a simultaneous transfer of 28.15 bitcoins — worth more than $500,000 at the time — to 22 different virtual wallets, most of them belonging to prominent right-wing organizations and personalities.

Now cryptocurrency researchers believe they have identified who made the transfer, and suspect it was intended to bolster those far-right causes. U.S. law enforcement is investigating whether the donations were linked to the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol.

[...]

Right-wing figures and websites, including VDARE, the Daily Stormer and Nick Fuentes, received generous donations from a bitcoin account linked to a French cryptocurrency exchange, according to research done by software company Chainalysis, which maintains a repository of information about public cryptocurrency exchanges and whose tools aid in government, law enforcement and private sector investigations. Chainalysis investigated the donations after Yahoo News shared the data points about the transaction.

According to one source familiar with the matter, the suspicious Dec. 8 transaction, along with a number of other pieces of intelligence, has prompted law enforcement and intelligence agencies in recent days to actively investigate the sources of funding for the individuals who participated in the Capitol insurrection, as well as their networks. The government is hoping to prevent future attacks but also to uncover potential foreign involvement in or support of right-wing activities, the source said.

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-large- ... 54668.html

Could just be a coincidence. But foreign funding of US extremists is an issue in its self.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:58 am

US Capitol rioter Jacob Chansley asks for presidential pardon, saying he was 'answering the call' of Donald Trump
Mr Watkins said Mr Trump "needs to be accountable" for encouraging the rioters, "and the only honourable thing for him to do for those who were peace-loving, for those who did go there with peace in mind, who weren't going there to be violent" was to "own" those protesters and pardon them.
So much for Trump's claim that it was a peaceful protests taken over by Antifa.
"The guy is wearing a fur, he has horns on, he's a shaman, he practices yoga, meditates all day long, he couldn't be a more gentle, soft-spoken human being," Mr Watkins said of Mr Chansley
I could go on, I know the lawyer is trying to do the best by his client, but the quotes are priceless.
Here grows much rhubarb.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:01 am

That'll be interesting to see what, if anything, it turns up with foreign funding.

Someone I used to work with (may have mentioned before), who is very right wing (he was very Tory, e.g. Maggie was great, even though he'd have only just started primary school when she left power) and moved over to the US to postdoc about 10 years ago, now has green card etc. - he's very pro-Republican (quelle surprise) and is coming out with the "we're only here because the Democrats poisoned politics through their constant sniping at Trump and especially Mueller's Russia investigations which failed to turn up any proof at all".

I'm still friends on Facebook, but don't comment - it's just as a window into that world.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:12 am

Retired Chester Firefighter Robert Sanford Arrested For Allegedly Throwing Fire Extinguisher At Police During Capitol Riot
Though Sanford’s attorney says the retired Chester firefighter of 26 years wasn’t involved in any right-wing extremist groups, prosecutors say a Proud Boys shirt was found in his home.
They are not even half competent insurrectionists, fortunately.
Here grows much rhubarb.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:52 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:07 am
On Dec. 8, someone made a simultaneous transfer of 28.15 bitcoins — worth more than $500,000 at the time — to 22 different virtual wallets, most of them belonging to prominent right-wing organizations and personalities.

Now cryptocurrency researchers believe they have identified who made the transfer, and suspect it was intended to bolster those far-right causes. U.S. law enforcement is investigating whether the donations were linked to the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol.

[...]

Right-wing figures and websites, including VDARE, the Daily Stormer and Nick Fuentes, received generous donations from a bitcoin account linked to a French cryptocurrency exchange, according to research done by software company Chainalysis, which maintains a repository of information about public cryptocurrency exchanges and whose tools aid in government, law enforcement and private sector investigations. Chainalysis investigated the donations after Yahoo News shared the data points about the transaction.

According to one source familiar with the matter, the suspicious Dec. 8 transaction, along with a number of other pieces of intelligence, has prompted law enforcement and intelligence agencies in recent days to actively investigate the sources of funding for the individuals who participated in the Capitol insurrection, as well as their networks. The government is hoping to prevent future attacks but also to uncover potential foreign involvement in or support of right-wing activities, the source said.

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-large- ... 54668.html

Could just be a coincidence. But foreign funding of US extremists is an issue in its self.

So much for cryptocurrencies being anonymous.

Fintan O'Toole

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:56 pm

JQH wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:52 am
So much for cryptocurrencies being anonymous.
It's a bit of an aside, but bitcoin is not really intended to be: all the transactions are publicly verifiable.

They are pseudonymous, so a one-off transaction might be hard to track, but plenty of people display their wallets openly, or use them for enough transactions that you can start to piece together information:
While cryptocurrency has been used by extremist groups and criminals to raise funds while shielding their identities, bitcoin is pseudonymous rather than anonymous. Bitcoin wallet addresses are permanent, and the digital ledger of transactions, called the blockchain, is public and can’t be changed. That means if people identify their bitcoin wallet addresses, as many right-wing groups do to raise funds, transactions can be traced, which is what allowed Chainalysis to uncover information about the source of the large December donations.

The source of the funding, according to research conducted by Chainanalysis, appears to be a computer programmer based in France who created an account in 2013 — and who maintained a personal blog, which was not updated between 2014 and Dec. 9, 2020, the day after the “donations.”
(from the Yahoo article)

There are ways of increasing anonymity. People who buy or sell drugs on the 'dark web' have figured a few things out that are supposedly helpful, for instance. But it's not a feature of bitcoin. Other cryptocurrencies like Monero are designed to be more anonymous (eg the public ledger is deliberately encoded in some way).

Right-wingers aren't great with details, though.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:24 pm

New footage of the confrontation on the stairs - at the end of the clip they put it side by side with the older footage

https://www.propublica.org/article/capi ... ne-goodman

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:56 pm

Chris Preston wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:58 am
US Capitol rioter Jacob Chansley asks for presidential pardon, saying he was 'answering the call' of Donald Trump
Mr Watkins said Mr Trump "needs to be accountable" for encouraging the rioters, "and the only honourable thing for him to do for those who were peace-loving, for those who did go there with peace in mind, who weren't going there to be violent" was to "own" those protesters and pardon them.
"The guy is wearing a fur, he has horns on, he's a shaman, he practices yoga, meditates all day long, he couldn't be a more gentle, soft-spoken human being," Mr Watkins said of Mr Chansley
I could go on, I know the lawyer is trying to do the best by his client, but the quotes are priceless.
He seemed to missed the part about carrying a 6-foot long spear and proudly marching shoulder-to-shoulder with literal flag-carrying, black(T)shirt-wearing Nazis as they chanted death threats aimed at US elected politicians and murdered policemen.
Albert Watkins wrote:I object to my client being referred to as a fool, he just happens to believe [every word Trump says].
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:38 pm

Little waster wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:56 pm
Chris Preston wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:58 am
He seemed to missed the part about carrying a 6-foot long spear and proudly marching shoulder-to-shoulder with literal flag-carrying, black(T)shirt-wearing Nazis as they chanted death threats aimed at US elected politicians and murdered policemen.
Albert Watkins wrote:I object to my client being referred to as a fool, he just happens to believe [every word Trump says].
There’s more to his lawyer than meets the eye. Chris Cuomo in this interview brings up the McCloskeys

https://twitter.com/cuomoprimetime/stat ... 65414?s=21

And this appears to be the interview Cuomo is referring to

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/us/st-lo ... index.html

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:42 pm

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:21 pm

IMG-20210115-WA0003_1.jpg
IMG-20210115-WA0003_1.jpg (55.66 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:19 am

Is the genie out of the bottle? Far right militias and domestic terrorists are dumping Trump but carrying on the fight.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-su ... 0057bc11ab
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:15 am

An FBI witness says that members of the far-right Proud Boys had hoped to assassinate Vice President Mike Pence and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi during last week's violent storming of the U.S. Capitol.

An FBI special agent made the claim in an affidavit as part of a criminal complaint against 43-year-old Dominic Pezzola, who is accused of taking part in the riot in support of President Donald Trump's false claims that the presidential election was "stolen." Pezzola, who is also known as "Spaz," allegedly used a shield taken from a Capitol Police officer to smash a Capitol window before entering the building. An FBI witness said that the group Pezzola was with had discussed committing violent acts that went far beyond property damage.

"[The witness] stated that other members of the group talked about things that they had done during the day, and they said that anyone they got their hands on they would have killed, including Nancy Pelosi," the affidavit, which was filed Wednesday, reads. "[The witness] further stated that members of this group, which included 'Spaz,' said that they would have killed [Vice President] Mike Pence if given the chance."
https://www.newsweek.com/proud-boys-int ... ys-1562062

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:58 am

A visual investigation of how a Trump supporter got trampled

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/us/r ... death.html

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:15 pm

So the woman pictured with a “Don’t Tread On Me” flag was, in fact, trampled to death...

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 pm

So Azar's jumping ship now too, crikey it's getting late for the rats to leave...