Human rights abuses against Uyghur muslims

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Human rights abuses against Uyghur muslims

Post by Fishnut » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:27 am

Dominic Raab made a statement on Tuesday about the human rights abuses in Xinjiang against Uyghur muslims. Quite incredibly (to my cynical mind at least) he actually acknowledged that abuses were taking place,
The evidence of the scale and severity of the human rights violations being perpetrated in Xinjiang against the Uyghur Muslims is now far-reaching. It paints a truly harrowing picture. Violations include the extrajudicial detention of over 1 million Uyghurs and other minorities in political re-education camps; extensive and invasive surveillance targeting minorities; systematic restrictions on Uyghur culture, education and, indeed, on the practice of Islam; and the widespread use of forced labour. The nature and conditions of detention violate basic standards of human rights. At their worst, they amount to torture and inhumane and degrading treatment, alongside widespread reports of the forced sterilisation of Uyghur women...

Internment camps, arbitrary detention, political re-education, forced labour, torture and forced sterilisation —all on an industrial scale. It is truly horrific—barbarism we had hoped was lost to another era is being practised today, as we speak, in one of the leading members of the international community.
He says, quite rightly, that,
We have a moral duty to respond.
He laid out four steps the government is taking to ensure that no UK business profits from forced labour in Xinjiang. Though I note there is nothing in there about pressuring China to actually stop their human rights abuses. He says,
The UK has already played a leading role within the international community in the effort to shine a light on the appalling treatment of the Uyghurs and to increase diplomatic pressure on China to stop and to remedy its actions. I have made my concerns over Xinjiang clear directly to China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi. We have led international joint statements on Xinjiang in the United Nations General Assembly Third Committee and the UN Human Rights Council. In the Third Committee, we brought the latest statement forward together with Germany in October last year and it was supported by 39 countries.
All of which was clearly ineffective as these abuses are still ongoing. He just says,
But we must do more, and we will.
What we will do, I'm not really sure. They want to stop businesses profiting from slave labour which is a good thing, but seems a surprisingly narrow focus given the scale of this problem. You can't call it barbarism and then say "so we'll stop supply chains that lead back to that barbarism". I'm not naive enough to think we'll ever place sanctions on China but I do wish there was more that we could do.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Matatouille
Fuzzable

Re: Human rights abuses against Uyghur muslims

Post by Matatouille » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:27 am

In coverage of this yesterday, I found out that before politics, Raab had practiced as a human rights lawyer. In the context of our government's toothless response, all I could think was "what happened?"

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:34 am

Can be merged with existing thread:

viewtopic.php?p=59601#p59601
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 am

Matatouille wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:27 am
In coverage of this yesterday, I found out that before politics, Raab had practiced as a human rights lawyer. In the context of our government's toothless response, all I could think was "what happened?"
Erm does a (probably 6 month) secondment at Liberty during your training contract count as 'practising as a human rights lawyer'? Not sure about that myself.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Matatouille
Fuzzable

Post by Matatouille » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:31 am

discovolante wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 am
Matatouille wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:27 am
Erm does a (probably 6 month) secondment at Liberty during your training contract count as 'practising as a human rights lawyer'? Not sure about that myself.
That makes the "for ever after" story make much more sense!

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:42 am

this is the Raab who's part of the govenment that's just signed a trade deal with Turkey without any worries about the HR abuses going on there and continues to allow the sale of arms to the Saudis to bomb civilians in Yemen. !!! ???
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:27 pm

These abuses have been going on for years and many other countries have already made severe criticisms of China over this. It is one of two issues which has seen China retaliate with trade sanctions against Australia.

There are quite a few Uyghur refugees in Australia now and the stories they tell of life Xinjiang are horrifying.
Here grows much rhubarb.