Vaccine rollout in the UK

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Grumble
Light of Blast

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by Grumble » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:46 pm

My dad’s experience of getting vaccinated in Whalley Range where a big centre has been set up was not great. It was overcrowded, everyone sat less than a metre apart, and all the older Asian men seemed incapable of wearing a mask properly. The women were wearing the things properly, so god knows why the men can’t. Perhaps they associate covering your face with wearing a niqab and therefore a sign of femininity or something? At least all the windows were open and it was well ventilated.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

KAJ
Fuzzable

Post by KAJ » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:58 pm

Blackcountryboy wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:23 pm
All the teachers and TAs where my daughter teaches have been told to get their vaccinations. It is Special Needs (School for Autistic Children in Birmingham). She understands that Birmingham have decided to push Teachers in Special Education up the queue because of the problems of maintaining social distancing with special needs children. Some of the school staff have had their vaccination.
Huh :o Told by who? I couldn't book a vaccination until invited by the NHS. Did those teachers and TAs receive such an invitation?

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:18 pm

KAJ wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:58 pm
Blackcountryboy wrote:
All the teachers and TAs where my daughter teaches have been told to get their vaccinations. It is Special Needs (School for Autistic Children in Birmingham). She understands that Birmingham have decided to push Teachers in Special Education up the queue because of the problems of maintaining social distancing with special needs children. Some of the school staff have had their vaccination.
Huh :o Told by who? I couldn't book a vaccination until invited by the NHS. Did those teachers and TAs receive such an invitation?
A person I know (in her early 50s) who works at a special school in Birmingham has been vaccinated through her school's network.

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:05 pm

It seems that lots of councils are now coming round to the point of view that many staff in special schools perform exactly the same kind of close contact physical care as their colleagues in social care. I think it's the right decision, it seems wrong that the staff caring for a severely disabled child in a residential placement would be vaccinated yet the staff who care for them Monday to Friday day times wouldn't be

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:13 pm

headshot wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:18 pm
KAJ wrote:
Blackcountryboy wrote:
A person I know (in her early 50s) who works at a special school in Birmingham has been vaccinated through her school's network.
There are NHS people who get told "Phone up all SEN teachers and get them vaccinated". Jess, aged 19, gets given the assignment and doesn't know where to start. But Jess gets there by starting the ball rolling with a couple of SEN teachers, then tells them to spread the word to every other SEN teacher they know, sharing Jess's phone number/email address.

It's a bit chaotic but it mostly works. These things have needed to be set up at very short notice - it's not like we had most of a year from March 2020 to January 2021 to pre-prepare this rollout.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:51 pm

Mrs T and I (66 &65, no serious health conditions, living in Sheffield) have just been invited for our first jabs tomorrow.

Very pleasantly surprised

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:03 pm

KAJ wrote:
Blackcountryboy wrote:
The school had to inform the Education Dept. how many staff there were and the staff were later told to book their vaccinations at Millennium Point, Hartlandes or Queen Elizabeth.

Edited for spelling.

KAJ
Fuzzable

Post by KAJ » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:15 pm

Blackcountryboy wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:03 pm
KAJ wrote:
Blackcountryboy wrote:
The school had to inform the Education Dept. how many staff there were and the staff were later told to book their vaccinations at Millennium Point, Hartlandes or Queen Elizabeth.

Edited for spelling.
It seems that local authorities are varying from the JCVI priority groups - not necessarily a bad thing.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:58 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:51 pm
Mrs T and I (66 &65, no serious health conditions, living in Sheffield) have just been invited for our first jabs tomorrow.

I had to chase my GP and was told they had been told by "the government" they were to do 60-70yos before clinically extremely vulnerable people. I was not impressed, and nor was the GP receptionist, who got me sorted out with an appointment pronto. Not sure to what extent this is conspiracy or cockup, but from the perspective of someone both vulnerable and suffering from shielding, it hurt to know that I'd apparently been de-prioritised, and that it could have been worse had I not chased them.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:46 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:58 pm
Trinucleus wrote:

I had to chase my GP and was told they had been told by "the government" they were to do 60-70yos before clinically extremely vulnerable people. I was not impressed, and nor was the GP receptionist, who got me sorted out with an appointment pronto. Not sure to what extent this is conspiracy or cockup, but from the perspective of someone both vulnerable and suffering from shielding, it hurt to know that I'd apparently been de-prioritised, and that it could have been worse had I not chased them.
Glad you got it sorted. I was expecting to hear sometime in March

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:09 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:46 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:58 pm
Trinucleus wrote:

Glad you got it sorted. I was expecting to hear sometime in March
Glad you are getting done too, to be clear, I do not mean in any way that I resent anyone getting done early, just the confusion that it appears my GP was subjected to :)

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:51 am

Vaccine not showing an obvious effect on "casse rates" yet
EtikmuyWgAIvyBG.png
EtikmuyWgAIvyBG.png (74.86 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:40 pm

Not sure that's a good metric. And if it is, it'll only be good for a very short period. The UK is racing on to 70-80s, plus a load of <70s, so that diminishes the difference you'd expect to see.

I think hospitalisation data is the place to measure. Halfway between deaths (lags too long) and cases (distorted by incomplete testing).

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:48 pm

20210206_164712.jpg
20210206_164712.jpg (105.25 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
It's a good enough metric in Israel.

In England we* only have the age breakdown of cases and deaths.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:49 pm

Aye. Most of the 60-somethings I know now have their first doses schedule in the next week or so, so that’s a fair point.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:07 pm

headshot wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:49 pm
Aye. Most of the 60-somethings I know now have their first doses schedule in the next week or so, so that’s a fair point.
I've not heard anything yet(61)
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:16 pm

We* also don't have data on how the rollout is moving through the categories and age groups broken down by region or local authority, otherwise we'd be able to compare the case and death data by age group between regions with different progress in vaccinating.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:31 pm

Good you're 1st dosed, EACL. Any plans for your 2 week jabiversary?

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:13 pm

Trinucleus wrote:

Done (AstraZeneca)

Just hoping there's no adverse reaction with onion bhajis or we're in trouble

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:34 pm

I've got my jab #1 on Monday, but it won't be til April 29th for jab #2.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:03 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:16 pm
We* also don't have data on how the rollout is moving through the categories and age groups broken down by region or local authority, otherwise we'd be able to compare the case and death data by age group between regions with different progress in vaccinating.
The data does exist, for example I know our local area only had 80% of their over 80s done the other day as the local council announced it. It may not all be public at the moment (and I suspect areas like ours that are likely going to miss their targets wouldn't be keen) but it exists.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:17 pm

FB_IMG_1612642605830.jpg
FB_IMG_1612642605830.jpg (73.03 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Well I do expect that the data exist, they just aren't on the UK dot govid dashboard.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:28 am

headshot wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:45 pm
raven wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:50 pm
[my brother-in-law is getting his jab next week. He's not even 40 yet, but he's asthmatic so I guess he's in that 'clinically vulnerable' group. His area is really on the ball, racing through the groups.
Is he in a shielding group, or chronic asthmatic in group 6?

Frau HS is in the latter group.
I think in the 16-64 with underlying health conditions group. He's definitely not sheilding. He was quite surprised to get called so soon.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:49 am

raven wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:28 am
headshot wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:45 pm
raven wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:50 pm
[my brother-in-law is getting his jab next week. He's not even 40 yet, but he's asthmatic so I guess he's in that 'clinically vulnerable' group. His area is really on the ball, racing through the groups.
Is he in a shielding group, or chronic asthmatic in group 6?

Frau HS is in the latter group.
I think in the 16-64 with underlying health conditions group. He's definitely not sheilding. He was quite surprised to get called so soon.
Oh cool. That’s the same group Frau HS is in.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:32 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk