Brexit Consequences

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Trinucleus
Catbabel

Re: Brexit Consequences

Post by Trinucleus » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:12 am

I would have thought the January stats wouldn't be very safe - didn't a lot of traders hang back for the first couple of weeks to see how things planned out?

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:30 am

Trinucleus wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:12 am
I would have thought the January stats wouldn't be very safe - didn't a lot of traders hang back for the first couple of weeks to see how things planned out?
Yes, I’m a bit skeptical. There’s also the effects of France closing the border and later Covid test requirements.

It was reported that in late 2020 UK business were stocking up with imported goods so it’s possible that continental firms could have done the same.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:42 am

Trinucleus wrote:
For some reason we don't have the stats for February and March 2021 yet.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:31 pm

Little waster wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:28 pm
Ah but have they factored in the exponential rise in exports of innovative jams, pigs’ ears and Toblerone display cabinets to the Faroe Islands?
Maybe not Toblerone, but that other name under the US Mondelēz brand, Cadbury, seems to be moving back to the UK from Bludenz in "Germany" according to the Daily Mail (Bludenz is in Austria).

https://www.cityam.com/cadbury-returns- ... ion-shift/

Presumably because keeping up with the amount of Dairy Milk which Brits stuff into their faces is going to be too difficult if it has to come from the continent.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:42 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:42 am
Trinucleus wrote:
For some reason we don't have the stats for February and March 2021 yet.
We will by the end of March. I don't think it helps to give the Government an 'ah yes but...' arguement

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:53 pm

I think it's figures from the Road Haulage Association and not official, they also say that some 60% of lorries are going back empty.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:15 pm

veravista wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:53 pm
I think it's figures from the Road Haulage Association and not official, they also say that some 60% of lorries are going back empty.
Hmmmmm.
The gubmint and the RHA have a dog in this fight.
Who to trust?
Time for a big fat one.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:47 pm

If you think it's bad now wait until the customs checks start.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:37 am

shpalman wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:47 pm
At what point do a Government's actions against its people and businesses become unlawful?

This is f.cking INSANE.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:50 am

We all knew we were voting for f.cking insanity. It's the will of the insane people.

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:53 am

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:50 am
We all knew we were voting for f.cking insanity. It's the will of the insane people.
We?
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:56 am

Aitch wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:53 am
Martin Y wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:50 am
We?
Just so. We share their fate, and the fact that anyone with an ounce of sense voted against it is now lost to history. "The British people" voted to give their own feet both barrels.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:28 am

I first discovered my country could go collectively insane in the first week of September 1997.

Millions of people suddenly got hysteria, feeding in on each other, losing all sense of rationality. Over a million people banded together on the streets of London in a bizarre faux-grief over someone they never met - in fact, over a fictional character who in reality was a very different person. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/polit ... scene.html

Brexit is a similar thing, IMO. Delusions feeding in on each other, without any brakes to slow the process. Fictional stories tend to have more power than factual stories - false dramatic always crowds out the true mundane. Brexit has a romantic side to it - proud nation reclaiming its sovereignty and living happily ever after - which matters more to many people than reality. It's another case where our nation's myths and fictions are simply more important than our nation's boring practicalities.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:53 am

headshot wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:37 am
shpalman wrote:
At what point do a Government's actions against its people and businesses become unlawful?

This is f.cking INSANE.
This was all approved in Parliament was it not?
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:10 am

discovolante wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:53 am
headshot wrote:
shpalman wrote:

This is f.cking INSANE.
This is sort of a genuine question, is there anything in the deal that wasnt there at the time the legislation was passed, what is in it that parliament couldn't legislate for, has the government done anything that isn't within its powers under the act?

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:02 pm

I've moved posts about Diana and The Royal Family to Nezumi's royal family thread, to try and maintain some consistency, hope that's OK Nezumi.

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:06 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:10 am
discovolante wrote:
headshot wrote:

This is f.cking INSANE.
This is sort of a genuine question, is there anything in the deal that wasnt there at the time the legislation was passed, what is in it that parliament couldn't legislate for, has the government done anything that isn't within its powers under the act?
Yes, it certainly is genuine and a serious question. I can’t answer it, I haven’t read the legislation. The problem here is neither had many of the MPs, they could argue there wasn’t time, but that is only because the Government wouldn’t countenance asking for a short extension, something I believe the EU would have agreed to, their MEPs were a bit miffed at having so little time to consider it.
The question is serious because it is the job of Parliament to hold the Government to account, dangerously the majority of the Government side were chosen as candidates at the last election for their loyalty to Boris, prospective candidates not loyal to Boris, like our previous MP Margo James, weren’t selected by their local Conservative Association. I find it very worrying.
Perhaps this isn’t the thread for the wider implications to be discussed.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:11 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:02 pm
I've moved posts about Diana and The Royal Family to Nezumi's royal family thread, to try and maintain some consistency, hope that's OK Nezumi.
Perfect actually, it was a pre-emptive strike to prevent a derail lol
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:14 pm

nezumi wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:11 pm
discovolante wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:02 pm
Perfect actually, it was a pre-emptive strike to prevent a derail lol
I thought as much and admire your valiant efforts ;)

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:20 pm

Blackcountryboy wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:06 pm
discovolante wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:10 am
discovolante wrote:

Yes, it certainly is genuine and a serious question. I can’t answer it, I haven’t read the legislation. The problem here is neither had many of the MPs, they could argue there wasn’t time, but that is only because the Government wouldn’t countenance asking for a short extension, something I believe the EU would have agreed to, their MEPs were a bit miffed at having so little time to consider it.
The question is serious because it is the job of Parliament to hold the Government to account, dangerously the majority of the Government side were chosen as candidates at the last election for their loyalty to Boris, prospective candidates not loyal to Boris, like our previous MP Margo James, weren’t selected by their local Conservative Association. I find it very worrying.
Perhaps this isn’t the thread for the wider implications to be discussed.
I haven't read it all properly either, so there may be errors in this post! The legislation itself isn't massively long (although it isn't exactly short), it is here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2020/29/contents it's the deal itself that's enormous.

But what Part 3 appears to do is effectively bring all elements of the agreement into domestic law that can be and grant the government pretty wide powers in relation to it. Voted in by a massive majority in Parliament. Just saying.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:43 pm

The UK live music/events industry is absolutely f.cked.
I know people who have the ear of government who have been banging onto to them about the complete destruction of the industry since 2016.
They're pretty pissed off that it has taken Elton John and Colin Greenwood to raise their voices to even make this a thing.
The Music Venue Trust has been pointing out that the UK events industry is doubly threatened by Covid and Brexit for quite a while.
Grassroots venues are falling every day. FFS, it a multi billion £ industry, in which Britain used to be leading.

There's a massive number of great musicians and support crew clicking their heels or having to do Tesco deliveries. Such a waste of talent ... and income for the UK. :cry:
Time for a big fat one.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:15 pm

Opti wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:43 pm
The UK live music/events industry is absolutely f.cked.
I know people who have the ear of government who have been banging onto to them about the complete destruction of the industry since 2016.
They're pretty pissed off that it has taken Elton John and Colin Greenwood to raise their voices to even make this a thing.
The Music Venue Trust has been pointing out that the UK events industry is doubly threatened by Covid and Brexit for quite a while.
Grassroots venues are falling every day. FFS, it a multi billion £ industry, in which Britain used to be leading.

There's a massive number of great musicians and support crew clicking their heels or having to do Tesco deliveries. Such a waste of talent ... and income for the UK. :cry:
Another part of the issue is the behaviour of breweries, who have realised in a lot of cases that their pubs would be worth more if they sold them off for redevelopment. There's a good venue in my hometown (currently on life support from the MVT) which is frequently sold out, but the brewery siphons off all their profits so they're constantly a bad week away from bankruptcy.

I'm not quite sure what the solution is. Could a pub run as a non-profit arts venue, in the way that theatres often have bars?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:21 pm

That's the big problem with the venue situation in the UK. Most venues are tenants, across the rest of the world, the majority of venues are owned.
Mark Davyd and his crew at MVT are doing heroic work right now.
Time for a big fat one.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:26 pm

f.cking landlords. Dead Kennedys had the right idea.

And yes, massive props to the MVT.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:47 pm

Mark and Beverley are sort of mates. They've worked their arses off in recent years. Good people.
Time for a big fat one.