Refugee / Migration

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
discovolante
Stummy Beige

Re: Refugee / Migration

Post by discovolante » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:32 pm

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:40 pm

discovolante wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:32 pm
Some pretty bad stuff happening at Napier Barracks:

https://twitter.com/hackneylad/status/1 ... 80288?s=20

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... down-covid

Template email to MP here if you want: https://act.refugee-action.org.uk/page/73095/action/1
Yikes - depressingly inhumane.

Thanks for the links.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:10 pm

This is absolutely revolting and I don't know what to do about it apart from the usual channels.

https://twitter.com/nataliesedacca/stat ... 20160?s=20
Full scale dehumanisation in the Home Office justification for housing destitute asylum seekers in army barracks: claims they ‘are “not analogous” to British citizens and other permanent residents who are in need of state welfare assistance
Attachments
EtFpQdDXMAI4oY2.jpeg
EtFpQdDXMAI4oY2.jpeg (80.11 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
EtFpQdAXcAM-HRU.jpeg
EtFpQdAXcAM-HRU.jpeg (104.46 KiB) Viewed 1295 times

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 pm

They could have been much more succinct, they could've just said "We don't want to get on the wrong side of the Daily Mail, et al, so we'll treat people like sh.t."

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:23 am

The odious Patel made a big deal about how the fire was arson at a time when the police and fire brigade hadn't finished their investigation into its cause.

She also reached for the shamelessly fascistic canard that "this accomodation is good enough for our brave servicemen so what are these ingrates complaining about?".

We'll just put to one side the whole difference between paying young men to live somewhere temporarily, where they can come and go (fairly) freely during times of normaility and involuntarily imprisoning refugees there, 24-7, for up to a year, in the midst of a COVID outbreak.

AFAICT Napier Barracks has been standing derelict since it was closed by the Army for not being up to minimum acceptable standards ... in 1995!

Which of course the horrible incompetent knew.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:08 pm

It's a bit worrying that reporting on the demonstrations is being dealt with like this
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 94907.html

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:48 pm

Little waster wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:23 am

AFAICT Napier Barracks has been standing derelict since it was closed by the Army for not being up to minimum acceptable standards ... in 1995!
On which note the contract to run some derelict huts dating from the Attlee Administration, without electricity, heating, drinking water or cooked food, is costing the taxpayer a mere £100m/year.

Still at least the cockroaches and rats have now moved out.

Just don't ask about their tax affairs.

Trebles all round!
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:19 pm

I used Detention Action's email your MP thing to complain about the conditions at the barracks. I got back this drivel. If anyone can help me rebut it I'd be grateful.
Thank you for your email about Asylum accommodation conditions - in particular the Napier and Penally Barracks. I was appalled by the damage and destruction at Napier barracks. I fully support the police who took action against those who vandalised property, threatened staff and put lives at risk.

I understand you have concerns regarding the conditions of these facilities. I know that the Government takes the welfare of people in Home Office care extremely seriously and is fulfilling statutory duties to ensure decent, safe and humane conditions.

As you will be aware, the Home Office is required by law to provide asylum seekers who would otherwise be destitute with accommodation, paid for by the taxpayer.
Since March, the number of people within the asylum system has risen. This is due to the fact that the Government temporarily ceased ending asylum support for those whose claims have been granted or refused. This was necessary to help stop the spread of coronavirus and ensure they are able to follow social distancing guidelines.
It has therefore been necessary for the Government to act quickly to source contingency accommodation to create additional capacity and ensure obligations are met in full.

After looking into this, I have been reassured that those accommodated at these sites have access to appropriate medical care, are provided three meals a day, and have access to the 24/7 Migrant Help helpline to raise any issues.

I will continue to monitor the situation very closely. However, I welcome the action taken by the Government to ensure the UK continues to meet its obligations and commitments to the most vulnerable people. This is of course in the context of unprecedented domestic challenges caused by the Coronavirus pandemic.

Thank you again for contacting me.
Also, if anyone else has a Tory MP I'd be interested to see their reply. Mine sent this so quickly I'm inclined to think it's a stock response.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:37 am

Fishnut wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:19 pm
I used Detention Action's email your MP thing to complain about the conditions at the barracks. I got back this drivel. If anyone can help me rebut it I'd be grateful.
After looking into this, I have been reassured that those accommodated at these sites have access to appropriate medical care, are provided three meals a day, and have access to the 24/7 Migrant Help helpline to raise any issues.
So food, medical care, and a helpline are provided. What about clothing, shelter, heating, toilets, bathing and washing facilities, lighting, privacy, security, entertainment, and all the rest of the basics of a civilised society? If they're not mentioned I expect it's because they're not provided. Note that the helpline is "to raise any issues" with no suggestion that anything further will happen.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:00 am

In terms of numbers Fishnut, gov.uk should have quarterly stats on claims made and processed. There might well have been an increase but it could be worth checking if they are being processed at the same rate. Maybe see if there has been an increase from any particular country. It could also be worth comparing to Europe as a whole but that might be harder, it's possible the UNHCR might have some info too.

Maybe have a scoot around on the refugee action and refugee council sites too for info about accommodation provision during the pandemic?

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:23 am

You could also have a look and see if there is anything that can be done to support Kent Refugee Action Network? Might lead to more tangible benefits than arguing with the wonderful man who is you MP... https://kran.org.uk/ https://m.facebook.com/kentrefugeeactionnetwork/

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:59 pm

A visa related petition linked to and discussed here if anyone wants to sign: https://twitter.com/ZoeJardiniere/statu ... 57313?s=20

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:45 pm

Little waster wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:23 am
The odious Patel made a big deal about how the fire was arson at a time when the police and fire brigade hadn't finished their investigation into its cause.

She also reached for the shamelessly fascistic canard that "this accomodation is good enough for our brave servicemen so what are these ingrates complaining about?".

We'll just put to one side the whole difference between paying young men to live somewhere temporarily, where they can come and go (fairly) freely during times of normaility and involuntarily imprisoning refugees there, 24-7, for up to a year, in the midst of a COVID outbreak.

Which of course the horrible incompetent knew.

Just to confirm that

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... erts-found
A former army barracks used to house asylum seekers did not “meet acceptable standards of accommodation” when it was surveyed by planning and environmental experts seven years ago, it has emerged.

A report on Napier barracks, near Folkestone, Kent, filed by CgMs Consulting, now part of the RPS Group, concluded that “the buildings were never intended for long-term use” and converting the housing blocks on the site was an “unsuitable approach”.

The report was submitted to Folkestone and Hythe district council in 2014